that's only me or the Edwin Jagger DE89 feels pulling in the Against the grain pass ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by idan, Nov 10, 2018.

1. idan

idan Active Member

hello everyone : always when I shave with Edwin Jagger DE89 razor i can to feel he is tuggy the hair in the against the grain pass.
    I changed a number of blades and still have the feeling that he is pulling hair, probably because the angle of the blade is not optimal ...
    Anyone felt the same feeling with this razor ?
    Thank you very much ;)
    [​IMG]

RyX likes this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I started with the Muhle R89, which is very similar to the DE89. Once I got the hang of using a DE razor, I didn't experience any tugging while shaving with it.

If you have hydrated your whiskers properly, made a good lather, use a sharp blade, have correct blade angle, stretch your skin, go slow & take short (1" or so) strokes, you shouldn't feel any tugging. In fact, you shouldn't even feel the blade edge slicing the whiskers. I'm assuming your razor has no physical defects and that you completed a first pass WTG to get some bulk reduction before the ATG pass.

Tell us more about your routine please. Likewise, please feel free to join the 30 Day Rule / Focus group (link in my signature) where we are all working to improve our technique. :)

AGHisBBS, idan, Primotenore and 2 others like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Hi @idan..welcome to TSD.

idan likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I used a Muhle R89 Grande yesterday. Fairly certain it's the same cap & baseplate as yours. Most folks rate these as a mild razor which means less blade exposure. That limits the sweet spot for beard reduction. Got to get the angle just right.

I didn't notice much pulling on ATG pass, but I do a very thorough WTG first. Knowing it's mild I loaded a fresh Kai blade. They have a rep for being a sharp stiff blade.
    SOTD 11092018.gif

Norcalnewb and wristwatchb like this.
  5. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I used an EJ DE89 exclusively for about 3-4 years before I got bitten by the vintage Gillette bug.

I always thought it gave me a nice smooth and efficient shave (usually with Feathers or GSBs) and I don't ever remember it tugging.

RyX likes this.
  6. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

For me pulling is almost always a blade issue, the 89 razors usually like sharper blades like a nacet or feather, i can use sharks, lord, bics in my tech but they wont perform well in my 89.

RyX, idan and Herm2502 like this.
  7. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

OP, have you tried skin stretching? Also, as previously stated, check your angle. You may want to practice "riding the cap" until it becomes natural.
    I'm sure someone can link to that article .

If I had to narrow it down, I'd say it is due to lack of skin stretching.
    You don't have to chase the baby every shave. I just want a close, clean, comfortable shave without any irritation.
    Good luck, and let us know how it works out!

RyX, Norcalnewb and kfbrady like this.
  8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I would suggest Riding the Cap. It sounds like your angle is too steep so the blade is not efficiently cutting the hair. Check out this thread.

9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I agree with Jim @Norcalnewb you need to use a MUCH shallower angle. Read about "riding the cap".

RyX likes this.
  10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I agree. All my "tuggy" shaves have been the result of a bad blade.

Also, the comment about angle is true. If you're too steep the razor will SOUND like it's doing great, but won't shave well. Keep it shallow, riding the cap.

Good luck!

Herm

RyX and idan like this.
  11. idan

idan Active Member

if i stretching my skin i get many razor bumps..

Edwin Jagger DE89 + ASTRA SP (this is was the first use) + PALMOLOVE SHAVING CREAM + RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush.
    first i washing my face with warm+ water after than i apply the shaving cream in to the brush and than to my face
    i start with With the grain pass and re-lather and i going ATG
    my angle is (both wtg and atg):
    [​IMG]

RyX likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Riding the cap puts the blade closer to flat against your skin much like the angle of attack used by straight razors. There is less scraping and may lead to less irritation.

There's a link to the Ride The Cap thread in my signature below. If you have more questions stop in at The 30 Day Rule / Focus group. The three T's are discussed often. Those Techniques have helped many new or veteran shavers attain error free, less irritating, BBS shaves on a regular basis.

The Three Techniques;
    1) Skin Stretching ( which may not be for everyone)
    2) Ride the Cap for best angle of attack
    3) Less Pressure to avoid a cartridge like skin scraping

Herm2502, idan and jtspartan like this.
  13. ordinaryshaver

Not to sound rude, but OP how do you get razor bumps from skin stretching? You are using a flat blade to shave a curved face, that doesn't work so well. The idea is to have 2 flat surfaces.
    As has already been stated, check your angle, check that you are not pulling the razor, and ride the cap.
    The only other thing I can think of is that you may be allergic to the cream.

idan likes this.
  14. idan

idan Active Member

thanks for the tips :)

15. idan

idan Active Member

When I stretch the skin the bristles are cut too close to the skin line, which is what causes me to actually razor bumps ..
    you may be right .. Maybe there really is a ingredients that makes me allergic, I wish I knew exactly which ingredients to avoid ..
    And also to know which soaps / creams are especially for sensitive skin and to buy them.
    What do you think about Arko Stick ? I know it's not particularly sensitive skin but his protection are just great!
    I will be happy for more offers for soaps and soaps for sensitive skin....
    Many Thanks
    IDAN.

[​IMG]

16. ordinaryshaver

Ok, now I get it. Was a bit confused at first.
    Really the only way to see if you are allergic is to try out products.

17. ordinaryshaver

I'm not sure of your location, but if you are in the states, I would suggest some of the artisan soaps, Stirling for instance is priced very competitively.
    Heck, I'll send you a puck of Williams if you are in the states. That brand has been around for over a century. Let me know if you would like to try it.

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I say something that may ruffle feathers, but I find the Astra blades to work well in some of my razors better than others; for that reason I have let them go and opted for ones I get a nearly universal great shave. I can get a DFS from nearly any blade, but I prefer for smoothness Polsilvers, GSB, Nacets, and Perma Sharp Supers.

19. ordinaryshaver

The GSB and Persona blades are great!
    I also like the Wilkinson Sword blades, well, at least the ones not stamped with Gillette.

Enrico likes this.
  20. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Unlike the straight razor the DE has a guard bar which, aside from making it safer, arguably reduces or eliminates the need to stretch the skin..so the op might be able to avoid skin stretching and still get a pretty good shave with the DE. I have the same problem and can get bumps and irritation from skin stretching and must be careful. I agree with riding the cap. You might also try 'bullfrogging' on the neck area which actually slackens the skin..sort of like the opposite of stretching but also has the effect of lifting the hairs for a closer cut. The technique can be done by lowering the chin on the pass and can make things much smoother going towards the grain.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018