The ΑΛΦΑ [Alpha} T-400 - My Prototype Rubberset Tribute

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Vlasta, Apr 25, 2018.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

BSB?

Vlasta likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I might want two. One to make lather, the other for a shift knob in my truck. [​IMG]

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

3. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]

Jim99 likes this.
  4. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    BSB?

Boojum1 likes this.
  5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

BSB = Barcelona Shave Brush

Vlasta and Enrico like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Looks like my Synthetic travel brush.
    IMG_0195.JPG IMG_0198.JPG
    It's a 26mm knot

Vlasta and RyX like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Now that's purdy!
    Imagen 226.jpg

Vlasta likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've never seen a site for those, and last I saw price was crazy.

Vlasta likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm sure it will; I'm just playing around.

Vlasta likes this.
  10. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I am going to modify this one so it is not such a CLUNKER. The design you see above is almost 80mm long - that is a lot of aluminium!! I am going to shorten it to about 45mm and maybe design a cover for it so it CAN become a real traveling brush. Thanks for the inspiration.

RyX, Jim99 and Enrico like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Rather that keeping everything relative, but scaling up - if the chubby was the same height but T H I C K . . .
    Chubby R-400.gif

Vlasta likes this.
  12. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    That was my first thought but I wonder if it will scale. For sure it is going to more than double the weight so might have to be hollowed out a little which has its own issues. Let me think on it BUT you are on the right lines. I will make it suitable for a 30mm knot for sure.

RyX likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Don't take my above adjusted photo as a blueprint. I stretched the photo of an unnumbered Rubberset 400 by 150% to illustrate the idea. To go from 24mm knot to 30mm is only another 25%. I would be happy to wield a slightly heavier solid handle if I could put a fat knot in it.

Vlasta likes this.
  14. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    OK La. I tried just scaling it in AutoCAD but it kind of does not work as I want it to. Got to get more creative... I will get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Out of interest how much does a BSB R400 copy cost? They look totally awesome I must say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  16. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I don't remember what I paid for mine but it was considerably more than you have been thinking. And it is a one piece brush. Weight is 112.2g.

The RazorRock/Italian Barber version is also one piece, synthetic knot only and weighs 133.4g. It is considerable less expensive than you have been considering.

BSB is 3rd from right, RazoRock 2nd from right:
    [​IMG]

Vlasta, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  17. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I have the Razorock version any it’s totally awesome if you like this style of brush. Sure it’s synthetic but it’s a solid aluminum brush handle for $20. so just drop the whole thing in boiling water for a few minutes and the knot should pop right out. Then replace with your favorite high dollar badger, boar or horse hair knot. Win win.

Vlasta, Enrico and RyX like this.
  18. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Another classic shaving brush design in the aluminum two piece with ferrule design is the French Company Gibbs (great razors too). It may well scale better than the 400 design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Because the top piece is a dome simply enlarging the hole would allow a larger knot but retain all the same milling characteristics.

Vlasta, Keithmax, Tdmsu and 4 others like this.
  19. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Can you measure it for me and make a rough hand sketch?

Keithmax likes this.
  20. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Nope. No talent in that area. I can do some photos with a scale item though.

Vlasta and RyX like this.