The ΑΛΦΑ [Alpha} T-400 - My Prototype Rubberset Tribute

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Vlasta, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Does he have a website/instagram, or whatever? That is one handsome brush.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

@Tdmsu , you wanna field this answer?

Vlasta likes this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think some of your question can be answered when you decide what knots you want to provide with them, or what you want to get out of the handle alone.

My personal opinions as a brush collector:

Interchangeable ferrules aren’t really a selling point to me personally. I would rather have three brushes before I want one brush and two knots sitting on a shelf.

I prefer to select my own knots, so a handle only option is preferable to me.

I would probably go up to around the $65 mark for a handle of this style. That’s about the point where I would start steaming knots out of a RazoRock (as mentioned), or just be looking at other brushes on my wish list, and/or having a custom turned, if I’m going any higher.

This isn’t placing any value judgements on what you have going, just offering up where I see it in terms of adding one to my collection.

DaltonGang, Jorvaljr, Vlasta and 2 others like this.
  4. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor

Thanks for the detailed answer.

5. pork

pork New Member

For some resaon, I can't comment in the private conversation anymore. I keep getting an error message. But I just wanted to say that the handles look terrific! Spot on...excellent job, Vlasta.

Vlasta likes this.
  6. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    SOTD with this new brush on the block.

Featuring the ΑΛΦΑ T400 Rubberset 400 Tribute brush
    De Vergulde Hand Hard Soap
    John Glueck 6/8” Custom Made Kamisori

A bit of a shame today I could not to a SOTD Video. The light in the bathroom was just too bad. I am on business in a hotel in India, Navi Mumbai (look it up.) - So instead I made some photos!. The razor from John Glueck was, as ever, superb. Stropped 25/25 linen/leather. The soap is one of my favourites - De Vergulde Hand. This soap is less than $2 USD a pot and it is superb - get some if you can. They have been making it the same for hundreds of years so they must have gotten something right eh?

The brush is all mine. It is a two part brush made in 6063 aluminium finished and anodised to a soft sheen (that’s aluminum for the US guys) and weighs in at about 100g (4oz.). The one in my SOTD has a horse hair knot. Knot size is 24mm. The ferrule is removable

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Keithmax, Enrico, bladeshark and 3 others like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You are an artist sir. :happy096:

Vlasta likes this.
  8. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Any art that I supplied is built on the shoulders of giants - people who draw, carve and share. I only refined. I wish I had skills with other stuff apart from ideas.

9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Sometimes it takes an artist to coordinate all of the aforementioned pieces of the puzzle.

Vlasta likes this.
  10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Fine quality workmanship!

Vlasta likes this.
  11. Boojum1

T-400 with Envy Supreme White Two Band

[​IMG]

MntnMan62, Vlasta, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful brush Mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vlasta and Boojum1 like this.
  13. Boojum1

Thanks Clint! :happy088:

Vlasta and clint64 like this.
  14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm lovin' mine, feels better than my 400, nicer than my razorock 400.
    20180601_164521_resized_1.jpg
    I've used it several times since its arrival. 20180603_104508_resized_1(1).jpg 20180604_082650_resized(1).jpg it's a lather machine, the knot is set perfectly, and is so dence. Handle feels just perfect, can't hardly pick up another. 20180604_080144_resized(1).jpg

15. pork

pork New Member

A SOTD with Vlasta's ΑΛΦΑ T400 Rubberset 400 Tribute brush

I filled the handle with a TGN finest fan (22mm). The opening on the ferrule was a hare over 24mm, so I had to use a slightly smaller knot than I had originally planned on using. This knot has a prominent glue bump, so it actually fit the handle perfectly. A 23mm knot without a glue bump would probably fit well, so long as the knot isn't really densely packed. What can I say about the T-400 handle? It far exceeds my expectations! The genuine article feels flimsy by comparison. The weight and finish are far superior on this handle. Sanding and polishing an original is a labor of love that I'm happy to do, but this handle is perfect for anyone who's not willing to pay the inflated price of a real 400 or who doesn't want to put in 4-5 hours of sanding and polishing. I sent my original off to Declaration for a B5 knot a few weeks ago, but I sort of wish I could have sent this one instead. It's a solid handle that looks and performs brilliantly. It's sort of difficult to appreciate exactly how nice it is until you get one in your hands. Despite seeing pics of the handle for weeks, I was skeptical until I held the handle. It really is a fine piece of craftsmanship. Excellent work, Vlasta!

[​IMG]

Vlasta, Keithmax, RyX and 2 others like this.
  16. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    My SOTD with the ΑΛΦΑ T-400

I am thinking of starting an ΑΛΦΑ T-400 pass around when I get the brushes from production. Does anyone know if there are strict pass around rules and how to start one?

SOTD 25/6/2018
    Drew Dick 8/8 near Wedge
    ΑΛΦΑ T-400 with blonde horse hair knot
    Crows Nest Tortuga

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  17. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I am quite late to this thread, but find this handle very appealing. When a price point is set I would be quite interested in aquiring one!

Vlasta likes this.
  18. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Hi there will be an entry in Marketplace when I am ready. 2-3 weeks.

Frijolero likes this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Similar to a PIF, except each person in the line pays shipping to the next person. Generally pass arounds are a great way to try stuff. I've participated in razor and soap events. There is a need to set limits on how long each participant will have the item, and the care and cleaning before sending it along. On rare occasions the last person in possession absconds with the gear, dropping out of sight. Not gentlemanly behavior, but it's happened.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Vlasta and DaltonGang like this.
  20. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    So I just start a new thread in the brush forum and state the rules. That’s it? Can I ask people who are next in the pass around to leave a comment or review? How to determine the next person to pass it to? I mean once it is in the wild how do people express and interest and so on?

RyX likes this.