The 400 club

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Darkbulb, Nov 3, 2014.

1. bladeshark

bladeshark Well-Known Member

I've gotten most of them off by soaking them knot first in a cup of boiling water for about 5 minutes. The entire ferrule under the water and the handle open to the air. Then I grab it with some rubber lined work gloves (like a mechanic would use) and give it a twist. It will be hot to the touch and can't be held too long but the gloves give fair protection. The rubber helps with the grip and the head expands it just enough to let it loose. The mean, nasty ones I would have to do this several times over the course of a morning until one of us gave up. If it was me that gave up that's when I threaten it with the strap. :ahem:

2. bladeshark

Here are some of my 400s when I played around with having them powder coated. The aluminum doesn't do so well with this process and they all had to be re-shot several times.

Powder Coated 400s v2.jpg

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Nice finishes!
    I recall a set of drinking glasses from childhood.
    Aluminum in different colors, but I think they were anodized.
    Powder coating is baked on? A ceramic like hardness!

bladeshark, Douglas Carey and twhite like this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Those are super nice brushes. The purple one is my favorite.

bladeshark and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Chokes on morning cup of tea! How many do you have?

twhite and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. bladeshark

I would be embarrassed to say. Let's just say more than a few purchased over a number of years. My favorite is still the double-struck model 400-4. I almost passed on it thinking it was blemished but it's since grown on me. The quality control guy at the Rubberset plant must have stepped out for a smoke when that one rolled down the line. I've left it original and didn't restore it.

rubberset 400 double stamp.jpg

Jayaruh, alfredus, Boojum1 and 6 others like this.
  7. bladeshark

Yep, baked on. I had some powder coating done to some Jeep parts and was very impressed at how well it held up to some serious abuse. After going through the laborious process of restoring the brushes I was disappointed to see that they eventually lose their shine and go back to looking dull and aged. I've heard that you should put a coat of car wax on them to protect the shine but I never gave that a shot. I was hoping the power coating would protect them and I chose some colors that I found attractive. The metal, however, isn't "pure" I was told and there are spots that it didn't take well on each of the brushes. Even after several attempts, I think it was 4, I'm not all that happy with how they came out. As a matter of fact I stuck the knots in the ferrules for the picture but never glued them in. I just have the handles sitting on a shelf by my computer to look at like a pretty picture.

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

And a follow up question; What has been your best source of 400's? On-line auction, in the wild, other?
    I can see having a Seven Day Set, but not at the speed I'm gathering them.

9. bladeshark

Both Ebay and Etsy have been my best bet. I've been cursed so far now to have never found one in the wild. Etsy early on was better for me since their items are all buy-it-now priced and there are less shoppers. I think I paid around $40 for the double stamped one on there a few years ago. I pop into both auction sites frequently during the day while I'm in the office.

I clearly have an acquisition disorder so I don't recommend following in my footsteps. You'll just get dirty looks from your wife every time a box comes in the mail. "Really? You bought another shaving brush? Great."
    Hard to respond to. I say it's research for my web site. :bounce017:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Douglas Carey, twhite, RyX and 2 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

No SWMBO to give me The Look, but budgetary restrictions and the desire to see an item in first person have had me visiting every antique and thrift store within easy driving range. All my vintage gear was acquired this way. Guess that's why I only have a dozen soaps & AS's. I considered online purchasing when my want of a 400 struck. I did well at a local shop and only paid ten bucks for mine.
    Most dealers have a WTB list, and I'm on em!

11. bladeshark

You're a wiser, more fortunate and more patient man than myself. :smiley respect:

ob1page, Douglas Carey and twhite like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

I don't know about all that. Only divorced once, but then only married once. Not having to justify my "hobby" purchases except to myself? Priceless.

As to fortunate there's an old adage about it favoring the prepared. That goes hand in hand with being patient. Delayed gratification is a lost art in the 21st century. Being short on disposable income keeps me shopping for the bargains!

ob1page, twhite and bladeshark like this.
  13. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

It would disappoint me, if the handle kept becoming dull. It's the reason I have so far held off getting one. I wonder if the modern alternatives have the same issue.

bladeshark likes this.
  14. bladeshark

It's in the nature of aluminum to oxidize. That's hard to overcome. I would think, however, that modern marine grade aluminum, and Tom (@twhite) please help me out here, would be less inclined to do so.

The Crown King Switchback 400 also wouldn't have that issue since it's chrome plated.

dangermouse likes this.
  15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

The preferred grade aluminum for marine is 5052. It has excellent corrosion resistance. 6061 is the other grade for excellent corrosion resistance. 6061 being a harder aluminum.

The most important thing to remember is to wipe the brush dry after each use. If you notice it is starting to dull any. A quick cleaning with your favorite polish will keep it looking new for many years. Neglect is the killer.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey, mrchick, RyX and 3 others like this.
  16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I move to elect him as president of our club.

Douglas Carey, twhite and RyX like this.
  17. bladeshark

That honor should fall to the great @Darkbulb, the Cookie Hoarder himself. He is the founder of our little club.

Douglas Carey, twhite and RyX like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

How's about Master of Arms? Anyone who can go from a drawing to a finished piece is quite handy.
    8465_us_navy_physical_security_technician_collar_device_gold_finish_1024x1024.jpeg

mrchick, twhite and bladeshark like this.
  19. bladeshark

I second Tom as the Master of Arms!

Douglas Carey, mrchick and twhite like this.
  20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I will continue to search out a real one. I keep looking for them at the vintage stores. The hunt is the fun part. Making my own was the cheapest way to get one.

When do I get my badge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey, RyX, ob1page and 3 others like this.