The 400 club

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Darkbulb, Nov 3, 2014.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

How about making one from Clear Acrylic? I was thinking about that today.

I just thought of something. I am getting old. I used to daydream about women, now shaving paraphernalia. My how times have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mbg75, Douglas Carey, RyX and 5 others like this.
  2. bladeshark

bladeshark Well-Known Member

We're all getting old my friend. :sick013:

On to a happier note, I think one made out of clear acrylic would be great! It would be quite a looker for sure.

3. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

IT would be great.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Hey, Tom. My Omega boar came in today. Here it is in my faux 400 handle (#87). Not bad. I also fit it in another handle I have on hand. See below. I am still waiting on my Tuxedo synthetic. I may wait until it arrives before I decide where this knot goes.

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Jim

Was that the 10066 Omega? And how deep did you set that? That looks really nice.

RyX, Douglas Carey and Jayaruh like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    That's the one. I left the ferrule on the knot and set it the same depth it was. I did not want to disturb the knot by removing he ferrule.

IMG_1089.jpg IMG_1090.jpg IMG_1091.jpg IMG_1092.jpg

7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

If you cut the ferrule off, the knot is in a plug. I did this a while back on a transplant where the black ring would have been out of place.

8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks. I was afraid that I would ruin the knot. I will try that.

Edit: I am back. I got the collar off, and now the knot is way too small for the hole. I will attempt to repair the collar. I now know I can get it off. Then I can make the hole fit the knot.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I was able to remove it no problem. Took my Dremel and slit one side popped right off.

Douglas Carey, RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  10. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

That bottom brush is lovely. Is it two types of wood or is the top part dyed? Very nice.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Member

12. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    The Shave Den website seems a bit wonky today. I couldn't open a thread in brushes, so I thought I would just try to post this picture here. I got some new woods yesterday, and today, I cut them into usable pieces. I can get two or three brushes out of each piece. That will get me well past the 100 mark.

woods 160811.jpg

woods 160811.jpg

RyX, Douglas Carey and twhite like this.
  13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

You'll have to re post tomorrow I can't open the photo.

14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I set the knot in my 400 knock off it looks pretty good.
    [​IMG]

Boojum1, targa88, Jayaruh and 7 others like this.
  15. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Yes, yes it does! It's beautiful!

Douglas Carey and twhite like this.
  16. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Looks like the real thing. Congrats.

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I was going to argue with you calling it a knock off, but one definition of the phrase does it justice.

knock-off; Competitive material or product that is functionally and qualitatively equivalent to a higher priced material or product.

Douglas Carey, twhite and ob1page like this.
  18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It's a beauty!

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Looks great Tom. :happy096:

twhite likes this.
  20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

So I received an Omega 10049 brush from @RyX to see how it fits into my B-400. Here are a few pictures of the process.

The Omega
    [​IMG]

Cutting the knot out with a cutoff wheel and a Dremel. I first cut the bottom of the handle off. I then cut a slot the length of the knot side. once you do that. Use a screwdriver to pop it open. The knot comes right out.
    [​IMG]

The next thing to do is to remove the secondary plastic sleeve. Again cut a groove length wise. Being very careful not to cut into the knot. Once this is done. Take the screwdriver and pop the secondary sleeves off. Then you have the bare knot.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see in the picture above, the molding is very sloppy. I then took and flattened out the bottom of the knot on some sand paper. This knot is a bit big to fit in the 25mm bore. I took and filed the outside diameter of the knot until it fit. I checked how it fit. all of that excess epoxy you see on the bristles interferes with letting it go down enough to achieve a 64mm loft. As this brush handle has the Ferrule sized on it. I was left with taking and using my Dremel and a barrel sander and tapering the top of the ferrule some to get the knot to the correct loft. All this took was 20 minutes. In the future if I were to use the 10049 knot, I would open the ferrule to 26 mm.

So here is a side by side of my 2 brushes. the one on the left is finished with an omega 10066. The loft is aprox 58mm. The right one needs polishing and the knot set. It has a loft of 64mm the same as an original 400 4.
    [​IMG]