The $9.00 Shea Moisture Shave : Ultimate Shave Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Dridecker, May 16, 2010.

1. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I used my standard setup stuff. Merkur Progress, Derby and/or Swedish Gillette and/or Feather DE blades, couple different brushes (one boar, one badger), etc. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Like I said, it works decently enough as a pre-shave beard softener. Just can't get into it as an actual "shave cream."

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Used it today to lather up some Williams, and as I suspected it took a little extra time on the puck to get the lather I wanted, but in the end it worked fine. Lost one more hair today too.

Do I have any reservations about using non-lathering creams? Nope, I just haven't had the opportunity or desire to try one yet.

As far as the Shea Moisture Shave Cream, that I have a problem with since on the website the instructions say, "How to Use: It can be lathered up with a Shaving Brush (recommended) or with fingers."

Now maybe I would use it like Jason does, but I would be really hacked if I bought it and the companion brush to use according to the recommended directions, and it fails at lathering.

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

*GASPS*
    Really? I tried to find it online and couldn't even get "shave brush" to show on their site. We have three of them within 15 miles of each other, I figured one of them would have it but when I searched, my hopes were dashed. Well it looks Like I'm gonna have to go shopping tomorrow afternoon!

Thanks Bill!

4. battle.munky

If you could help me find chicken free chicken bullion, next I'd be mucho appreciative.

Really though, I stopped into the Abingdon Target and there it was. Aisle B10. And 12 others, all right there looking at me. I picked one up and lathered some Monkey Farts up with it. Did well for the first time getting wet and seeing soap. Lost about 5 hairs. A little too lofty it appears, but I'll let you know tomorrow. So far though for <$10, it seems pretty ok.

5. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

The more I look at it, the more I think the knot looks just like my Vulfix 247.

I would still like to pick one up mainly to have a slimmer handled brush. My Vulfix has a fat chrome handle that sounds like I'm ringing a church bell on the rare occation that I bowl lather. Every time I do, I run the risk of waking everyone in the house.

6. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Found it at my local Target in Niles, Ill-it was the last one on the shelf. I'll look forward to giving it a ride tomorrow. Maybe I'll see how she does with MWF?

7. AxelH

AxelH New Member

Morning Alarm

I have a cheap little rice/sauce bowl, melamine (plastic) from a little grocery store. It lathers all I need and is open, very little clinking and fairly quiet. I don't like loading a brush in a traditional mug for this reason, hate my gift of a badger brush with metal ringed handle but even my wood handled tweezerman, because it's coated with acrylic or something similar still makes a racket. I prefer the wooden bowl of my C&E or wilkinson plastic, or the J.B. Williams I put in an 8 oz. vitamin A cream container with screw top lid. I even poured an inferior soap into another 6 oz. plastic tub with matching lid, just for mixing with Williams (it lathers well, not enough glide or cushion for a straight-edge). Nice and quiet. Now how to silence a 6/8th hollow ground razor... :confused:

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Tried it - came up empty on the search... for ANY store carrying them. hmmmm....

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Steve, using the city you have listed in your profile, I show them available at the Phila-Bridesburg Target, aisle A28. :)

10. battle.munky

Steve,
    I had the same problem. Bill has a backdoor to Target's mainframe inventory. He's just holding out on us.:signs090

11. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

I tried to find those brushes today. Alas, my Target didn't have the brush or the Prorasso SC. Didn't one of you guys say they were going to start carrying it?

Anyway, my closest Target is Johnson City, TN...can you help me Bill?

12. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

No I'm not, the instructions came from across the street, and DonR posted them here in a different thread, I just tweaked the link he posted a bit to work, since there was a redirect that broke the link. :)

Click da button -----> [​IMG] <-----Follow the instructions. :)

Sorry Stephen, the closest one I can find to you is at the Mooresville Target. :o

13. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

Thanks for giving it a shot anyway Bill.

14. swarden43

Thanks for the info and the link. Actually the one in Delran, aisle A27, will be a bit easier to get to!

Guess where I'll be tomorrow? :D

15. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Another day, another hair lost, but it did a great job on whipping up the Ingram's cream. :)

Tomorrow, me thinks I'll have give it a go at some vintage Old Spice soap. :think002

16. battle.munky

At the rate my Burma Shave boar was losing hair, this one seems awesome, and for only $4 more than my boar? Choice seems clear.

17. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

For $9 I'm very impressed with this. I like the scritch and it whipped up enough lather for a week or two. Lost 3 hairs and did not notice a stench-yet.

[​IMG]

18. swarden43

Just got mine! I'll break it in tomorrow.

19. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Tonight I loaded up the tips of the brush with some vintage Old Spice soap, and face lathered with great results, enough thick rich lather for 4+ passes if needed. :cool:

Didn't notice any hair loss from the brush tonight, maybe it's done shedding.

:think002 Up for tomorrow night: Face lathering again with an old formula Erasmic shave stick.

20. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Through a strange set of circumstances (I left the brush in my son's bathroom), I've forgotten to use this brush for a couple of days. :ashamed001

What I would like is a show of hands so to speak, from those members that have had a chance to use the Shea Brush, on the following topics:

A) Was the brush worth the price?

B) Has it performed as well as you like?

C) Would it be worth recommending to newbies looking for a cheap badger brush?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers!