The almost sort of Comprehensive Guide to the Gillette Tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 9, 2018.

1. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

It's pretty straightforward, but irreversible.

Adam

brit likes this.
  2. romsitsa

Iirc the hybrid and rfb were similar, while the flat bottom Tech was a tad wider (bottom left in your pic).

Adam

brit likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

very cool...:)

4. brit

brit in a box

i do have a later unmarked handle/creased cap rfb 2 piece and a decent creased cap hybrid head..the rfb has the patents stamped on the head.is this one of the last ones?just thinking of the 1945 thin handle black cased #77 set .was a 2 piece brit razor produced post war if the hybrid was 1947?.both the late 2 piece and 3 piece have the creased cap as well with patents on the baseplate..

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  5. romsitsa

I think two piece News didn't continue after the war. I guess remaining stock was sold (if there were any left) but ads start with the three piece safety bar designs in 1946 and safety bar tto-s in 1947. I'm almost sure oc Aristocrats were sold after the war.
    There is a two piece rfb in a baby blue (like the Popular) No 77 case with a hollow ball end inner tube. My gut feeling tells me it's a very late or maybe the last variant, but can't tell when it was made.

Adam

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

very cool .is the #77 black bakelite cased thin handled 3 piece rfb correct for 1945?

7. romsitsa

Maybe yes :) The Standard blade was produced during 1945, but it was still available in 1946.
    Most ads from 1946 show a three piece safety bar No 77, but a few show the New rfb head version.
    It would be nice to know when the "Tech" cap was first available. The Tech cap has two flats on the inside, meeting at an angle, while the New has a smooth curve.

Adam

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

both my late rfb 2 piece and my #77 3 piece rfb thin handle have the creased tech style cap.my 3 piece appears mint and not messed with. 20200717_114432_edited.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Aztecmike likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

the late 2 piece rfb has smooth bands on the handle and patent numbers on the baseplate as well as the creased style tech cap..
    late rfb.jpg

10. brit

brit in a box

1954 z-4 canadian tech .one of the last canadian techs produced.canada would see british made techs in the near future.. s-l1600.jpg 20200724_163159_edited.jpg

Frank Shaves, Aztecmike and Droo78 like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Turns out we were overly optimistic. Don't expect to see a slant tech anytime soon. The tabs in the corners of the top cap don't play nice with the bending jig.

Droo78, brit and twhite like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

that's a shame..

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It could probably be done, but it would have to be a Gillette Tech specific bending jig, and I think Tom has other projects he's more interested in at the moment.

brit likes this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

some of the early brit flat bottom new razors had cornerless caps ,but are the same cap otherwise.one could grind off the corner tabs with a dremel.future project..

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

1949 brit post war tech,rare thin handle..
    tech.jpg

Frank Shaves, ajc347 and Aztecmike like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

1943 (N2 on Blade) Service Set No11 England.jpeg

17. romsitsa

The only thing which makes this set 1943 are the blades. On the other hand there is not a single ad for a British safety bar before 1946. The first Tech ads list them as post war razor.
    Australian ads from 1946 carry the headline "for the first time in 5 years give him a Gillette".
    It also shouldn't be an issue razor as it has no government markings.

Adam

brit and jmudrick like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

so why call it a service set..the forces wouldn't advertise their razor sets..

19. romsitsa

brit likes this.
  20. brit

brit in a box