The almost sort of Comprehensive Guide to the Gillette Tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 9, 2018.

1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

It was probably somebody's go-to shave kit circa 1980. The metal blade safe would have been a big improvement of a cardboard tuck of individually wrapped blades and the Merkur case looks like it would be a good travel case.

brit likes this.
  2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I need to get a 50s British Brass one sometime; the only one I have in that style is an Aluminium one which I have something of a love/hate relationship with.

OTOH, a British Flat Bottom Tech is my idea of heaven. :)

brit and BlueShaver like this.
  3. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

That is NOT a Merkur case. The design is different, the way the box sits in there is different. It doesn't even have Merkur branding the way a Merkur should. The only similarity is that they are both plastic cases that clam shell.

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

You quite correctly point out my discrepancies and show my foolishness at trying to assist a gentleman identify his prize too hastily. Next time I should leave that to some far more knowledgable ..... maybe you could give him aid where I failed him.

There are days I should steer clear of trying to be helpful ...... or even posting.

Please forgive me if I come across as rude ..... just tired ..... of many things.

5. José Santos

José Santos Member

brit and Enrico like this.
  6. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Member

I don't know what the rule is for posting links to live ebay auctions, so i will post a screenshot instead.

[​IMG]

An open comb, Zamac, Gold plated Gillette Tech? In a white aristocrat-esque case?

Lots of firsts for me lol. That said, i am very suspicious of the auction. It looks photoshopped in some pictures.

Thoughts?

brit likes this.
  7. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Not foolishness at all, nor should you steer clear. I suppose we all have varying degrees of what we consider similar vs. different. I was just calling it how I see it. With your tip however I should edit how I see it as well... It is NOT a modern (post 2000) offering of the Merkur case. It is however a much older Murker design.

You are correct here. If it is not a Merkur (don't see any brand markings), then it is a copy of possibly a 50s Merkur case. I happened to come across this auction that ended in May. https://www.ebay.com/itm/113730776532
    This is the description: "Vintage 1950's Merkur 315 set. This 1950's original Merkur set comprehends one Merkur nº 15 open comb safety razor, in a bakelite travelkit, and plus a box containing samples of 3 different Merkur razor blades. All in excellent condition, never used."

s-l1600.jpg

You can see in this picture the interior matches nearly exactly:
    s-l1601.jpg

You can see the number of ridges in the front of each also match exactly:
    s-l1602.jpg

You can see in this picture that the piece that holds the razor from the top is the same shape and position on both:
    s-l1603.jpg

Enrico and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit Well-Known Member

very nice sir..

9. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I didn't know they made open comb techs. Well it seems like I have a new mission in life, techs are my favorite but I do like open combs.

brit likes this.