The Atra...

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by omegapd, Apr 5, 2009.

1. robxcarlson

robxcarlson New Member

What is the quality like? I noticed that it can be had for less than $10 shipped from two different eBay sellers.

2. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I bought it from nickuniquestore (anyway Dr Idiot is on holiday), it has yet to arrive. I will let you know.

3. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Feather Trac II

I have just posted the above thread. I prefer the feel of the Gillette but it is well made. It probably best just to get or stick to a Gillette unless you have incurable AD.

4. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

This National Match of South Africa twin blade pivot razor looks exactly like the Sainsbury's twin blade, apart from the raised area. Maybe it isn't sourced directly from Dorco.

It has never been on their website.

http://www.nationalmatch.co.za/shaving_systems.asp

5. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I have used these in my heavy silver Reed and Barton atra for many years and buy them 6 packs at a time for fear that Wally will stop carring them because they are such a great value. I have several other atras with the metal (alum?) and black plastic handles. Picked these up at a Chicago or Dallas grocers trade show in 1982 I think. Great razors and cartridge.

Personnas...sorry about that.::lam

6. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I've still got my two Atra handles. I have two because once in the late 1980s, I went on a trip and remembered to pack the cartridges, but not the handle. So I bought a spare.

This was my main razor from the 1980s until early 2009, with some unsuccessful experiments with electrics thrown in. Didn't realize how good they were until I learned to lather properly with soap and brush.

The genuine Gillette Cartridges for these became harder to find after they introduced the Mach III, so I went to generic ones from CVS and K-Mart, probably re-branded Personnas. To my surprise, these actually turned out to be better than the Gillette ones, smoother shaves, and a bit longer lasting. Cheaper too, of course.

Although the Atra will never be my number one razor again, I'll probably still use it occasionally just for a change of pace, or from time to time as a travel razor.

7. Teacher

Teacher New Member

(*sigh*) I wish I still had my late-80s metal Atra handle...