The 'Bermuda Triangle' of Straight Razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by HolyRollah, Dec 20, 2018.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've been selling straight razors on ebay for years now—with quite a number going to overseas addresses. After a recent ebay sale of a custom Fenney Tally Ho! straight, however, I may reconsider shipping overseas.

A few days ago I received a rather frantic PM from the buyer (gorillaz97), stating ebay international had contacted him to inform him his recently-won razor would NOT be delivered due to import/shipping restrictions to his country (China?).

His note to me:
    "What's wrong with the shipping? I just got the refund notice. They said it's a restricted item. I am so sad that a nice vintage Tally Ho is just gone. Could you help to figure out what's wrong with it? I really love the razor. It's hard to find another one as beautiful as this one. I've been searching for Tally Ho for such a long time. I really don't want to lose it just like that. So sad. Please help. I've just sent the email to eBay to get their explanation."

Shortly thereafter I received this message from eBay:
    ebay_razor-gone.jpg

So it looks like it WON'T be delivered to the buyer (eBay will refund him his payment to me), and the razor WON'T be returned. So the question I have, who has the razor now?

Does it go to the great contraband warehouse similar to the one at the end of the first Indiana Jones film?
    warehouse.png

Or, more likely, some import clerk now has himself a nice Christmas present....

Too bad as it was a very nice and rather rare straight razor. :angry017:
    tallyho.jpg_original.jpg

2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

The EU is in the process of banning “knives” being shipped in the mail. Some questions whether this will affect the shipment of str8’s or not, who knows. Too bad a beautiful piece that survived through history ends up as contraband.

I have tried FB marketplace and my straights get rejected as banned items. I wonder just how many are used these days as lethal weapons :angry032:

Billyfergie, Frijolero, brit and 3 others like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Kevin that is shocking and disturbing. I hope this bad incident with China does not turn you off completely from international sales. I have bought more razors than I care to admit and never had a problem shipping to Korea.

It does seem strange, odd, suspicious ... that the razor will not be delivered nor returned to you. Maybe they plan on copying the razor and flooding the market with fakes??? :think002: My brother lived in China for 5 years and still works in China 2 months out of the year. He said things have become very '1984' there.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

From the country that dumps cheap (inexpensive) and cheap (low quality) straights and other rightly or wrongfully copied gear on the rest of the world market, this doesn't make sense. In countries that aim to disarm their citizens by restricting firearms, then sharp knives, will they ban rocks next?

5. Keithmax

If this is too political then mods please feel free to delete it.

This maybe more about just blocking imports and ‘western influences’. Remember Xi says he believes in free trade. When my brother living in China it was difficult to find any imported goods for sale and shipping was always a crap shoot if it would make it him or not.

Billyfergie, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I believe this is probably, the real reason. Politics.

7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

It's a shame, that's a beautiful razor.

Frijolero, Keithmax, brit and 3 others like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Keith, I’ve never had issues with any international shipping with the exception of twice attempting to China. I’ll keep offering the eBay service on my auctions but let potential buyers know that mainland China shipments may not be feasible. Taiwan may still be okay.

9. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

At least they aren't taking the money back from you to boot. Still stinks, though.

10. brit

brit in a box

that sucks, thats a really nice razor..

Frijolero and Keithmax like this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It sucks, but i guess you cant get emotionally attached, if you are in business to make money. Me, I would have to refuse to see to the country that confiscates the razors.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  12. Orville

Orville Active Member

I sent a razor over seas once and my post office folks told me to call it a "shaver" instead of a razor due to the fact customs would not like the term "razor". Just something to consider.............

13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Forgive me for not resurrecting this old thread. I just now happened upon it.

Recently I ordered a ZY from China for honing exercises.

On the label, contents were listed as "make-up tool", I chuckled.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Words mean things. Shame folks have to get mealy mouthed to do business. Personally I wouldn't think of damaging an edge on a hollow ground razor using it as a weapon. Better with a thick wedge.

Keithmax, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I know this is an old thread, but it pays to be vague on the description on the customs forms when sending overseas. Words like razor, blade, etc. should be avoided.

Good:
    Men's grooming tool
    Old shaving tools and parts
    Hair grooming handle

Accurate, yet not the kind of thing that would trigger an over-zealous customs official protecting the people's rights and freedoms from the evils of the West.

16. Keithmax

I ordered a toothpick crossbow but Korean Customs refused entry because it is a weapon. I explained and even sent them video links but to no avail, all because of the description on the customs form.