The best beginner DE razor tournament

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Angelo85, Jul 9, 2020.

1. brit

brit in a box

as a guy who uses gillettes daily i think the pre war tech and the early superspeed are the best example of gillette technology.the rest are subtly tweaked in one way or another..via weight.balance and blade exposure.they are all adaptable if it is your only razor to use,as was the case when these were sold in their day.folks didn't have 10 razors to chose from when starting out..

gorgo2 and ischiapp like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Not sure what you mean, in 1938-9 when the Tech was introduced new shavers would have been spoilt for choice when it came to selecting a razor. There were fewer Gillette competitors after WW2 but still a lot more than ten razors to choose from.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

i am meaning from a choice of basic mass produced gillettes from now looking back.most folks today won't look at an open comb .the pre war was the most efficient tech in the u.s and the superspeed the best tto.if folks wanted to chose between their best efforts in the past..you and i prefer open comb..just speculation...

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    True. The tech, the ranger, Sheridan, senator, aristocrat, schick injector, and I believe Gem was pushing the micromatic at that time. DeHaven had their shake sharp, rollerguard was still a thing. Star was still around. Merkur was there, Rotbart was there. Apollo was still an independent company, I think. Le Coq and Valencia were around. Swing was still around. Ronson was still making razors, Valet was still making razors.

Granted, some of the more "international" brands would have been manufacturing for regional use, rather than global, but still, no shortage of variety.

brit likes this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

In the US Gillette's market share was in the toilet in the 30s, bottoming out at less 15 percent in the early part of the decade. Gem and Durham-Enders were the biggest but there were indeed plenty of others who at different times cut into Gillette sales (Cooper, Segal, Barbasol, Club/Hospital, Krect among them). Not to mention my beloved Shake Sharp and Stahly which came in '45 and '41 respectively.

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

i heard valet was prevalent in england during these times..

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Valet Auto-strop was from late '30 a Gillette brand. Or vice versa.

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

in the states yes..

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

[​IMG]

Ron R, Primotenore, ischiapp and 2 others like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Rolls had die hard fans, too. They all probably did...but not as die hard as WE!

brit likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

What happened to the British operations?

brit likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

still researching.many folks say the valey was very predominant in england compared to the gillette during the 20s/30s .trying to verify the info..

13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I mean did the Gillette-Autostrop merger in 1930 not include the British Autostrop operations? That's what I took from your comment.

brit likes this.
  14. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Thanks I think I’ll run with the tournament as I originally planned.

brit, PLANofMAN, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  15. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

:happy088:

brit, Primotenore and Angelo85 like this.
  16. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I’m going to begin the tournament tomorrow; however I won’t do a series of videos as originally planned. Instead I’ll post a photo of each face off and publish my results. My reason for this is I think viewers would grow bored of a series of 7-8 videos of the same theme. The first match for round one is going to be a 1967 Gillette Black Handle Super Speed vs a 1946-47 Gillette Super Speed.

ischiapp likes this.
  17. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

I think normal people will agree.
    I'm not sure how many there are in here.
    Me, not. I'd like to see all the videos.
    :p

brit and Angelo85 like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

jmudrick likes this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

PLANofMAN likes this.
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That's one way of putting it. I would say that Gillette came under the AutoStrop umbrella instead. Edit: though the merged company proceeded under the "Gillette" name.

There's a big thread about it. I'll try and find it and link it here so as to not derail this thread further.

Couldn't find it so I'll summarize. H.J. Gaisman sold his company, Autostrop to Gillette in 1930. Also in 1930, he took over as CEO of Gillette. Autostrop's patents covered Gillette's new blade, so Gillette was faced with financial ruin for patent infringement. The merger solved the problem nicely.

From Gaisman's perspective, anyways. He did a great job running the company.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Droo78, brit and Angelo85 like this.