The best soapmakers in the world

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLANofMAN, Jul 19, 2023.

1. brit

brit in a box

2. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

I've got some French blood in me, so, that's my excuse (not to mention English and German).;)

brit likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

have you tried Speick?
    [​IMG]

Frijolero and Jim O like this.
  4. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

No. I'll look into this one, too. I've heard the name in passing, is all. Do they make a cream only?

Frijolero and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

it's a German company.they do many products..:)./.google...

6. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Speick is nice. Even more in stick.

SterFry and brit like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Not a user, but when one has been in this hobby for a while, you tend to pick up a few names that get mentioned frequently.

Martin de Candre is perhaps the top of the heap when it comes to French soap, and has the price tag (and longevity) to match. Their simple recipe and clearly explained production process is directly responsible for many artisan copycat 'French style' soaps. I consider them to be one of the main creators of the modern artisan soapmaking industry. (Our own Joanna @Queen of Blades is another, though less influential).

Pre de Provence, Savonniere du Moulin, OSMA, Moulin Lambert, Institut Karité, and Creed are some others off the top of my head. This list could easily be expanded to about twenty different brands, some very well known, others, quite obscure.

Monsavon au Lait is the French equivalent to what Williams used to be in the U.S., available everywhere, and can be picked up in France for a few Euros. OSMA is probably the worst performing of the soaps listed, from what I remember reading. Not a terrible soap, just outclassed by most of it's local competition.

Beautyways also has a website, and offers free (U.S.) shipping above $35, if I remember correctly. They have an extensive catalog of European brands.
    I didn't know they also had a presence on eBay. I will be keeping an eye on that seller. Their eBay prices are higher, but free shipping offsets that, if you are just buying one or two cheap things.

Pre de Provence is generally considered a very good soap, if not quite on the same level as Martin de Candre.

8. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

Yes, that is lucky. Unfortunately a great many of my blind buys didn’t turn out that way. I and my wife are scent sensitive. I don’t appreciate strongly scented, in your face with massive sillage products. Mellower scents are more to my liking. Mrs. chazt tends to wrinkle her nose at most shave product scents, so I’ve had to break her in gently over the years. Due to circumstances, there are times when I go unscented (soap and a/s) for a week or more at a time. My biggest disappointment was the A&E cannabis-whatever-they-call-it. No cannabis, just blech :sick007:

Frijolero and brit like this.
  9. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Tallow & Steel top tier stuff.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Screwtape and brit like this.
  10. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

Agreed...love Speick sticks. All of their products are good, but their aftershave splashes in particular is phenomenal. They even did okay with their stick reformulation.

Frijolero, ischiapp and brit like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That's one reason Stoylin prices are so good.....$14.25 for a 5.8 oz soap. Prices and VALUE, too.

brit likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Try Bill Neumann- $18 for 4 oz.

brit likes this.
  13. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Stirling, yes. But 345 Soap too.

Paul Turner and brit like this.
  14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Have been into Italian soaps for a while. Have tried three now Cella, Prorazo and TSF..the TSF winning that contest. They seem to be as great a deal as you can get in a soap. The Italians are as good performers as anything out there IMP and are really easy to get hold of with no fear that your favorite soap is going to be suddenly discontinued or it's formula adversely changed.
    Bravisimo TFS..:happy096:
    TSF.png

15. brit

brit in a box

:):eatdrink047:TFS is awesome stuff.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Interesting. I'd heard that the TFS self branded red wasn't as good as Cella or Vitos. I know they make Razorock's P.160, which is a step down from Vitos, and was on par with Prorazo IMO, but it was made to RR's specifications, not TFS's, which can make a difference.

And the Italians aren't immune to discontinuing or reformulating products, they just are a bit slower about it than some other countries. I've seen a few of the great historical Italian soaps and creams go the way of the dinosaurs since I started wet shaving.

Frijolero, chazt, Jim O and 2 others like this.
  17. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I've gotten the TFS to just the right consistency now and had better luck with it than either Cella or Proraso but YMMV as always. What I like about TFS is that they make a clean soap with a minimal ingredients list and is vegan. Proraso has a rather bulky formulation possibly due to their marketing in the retail stores. I haven't yet tried Vitos but the soap has a good reputation. I have heard that Proraso likes to modify their formula every ten years or so but people seem to be happy with these changes from what I've read and their latest formulation has pretty decent performance.

Frijolero, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

i like the TFS Forte line.very good performance and nice scents.
    [​IMG]

19. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

Besides eBay, who carries this line?

brit likes this.
  20. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

I take it you're a fan of Vito's? I think you posted a photo of how you store their 1kg block.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.