The Daily Double.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GAW9576, Nov 28, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Two beautiful Schicks for today's shave. Thanks again to @twhite and @mayer57619 for lending me the razors. I definitely want to find one of each to add to my collection. Hopefully in the near future.

IMG_29032021_153038_(1599_x_1600_pixel).jpg

Ron R and mayer57619 like this.
  2. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Ron R and GAW9576 like this.
  3. GAW9576

I had an excellent Easter Sunday shave with the Bunny V3 on loan from @twhite and my copy of the Wabbit V3 (I think. It might be a V2) designed by Twhite. These are both excellent razors. The Mer Shaving Sandalwood soap lathered wonderfully.

IMG_04042021_123914_(1043_x_1060_pixel).jpg

Ron R likes this.
  4. GAW9576

@mayer57619 these are the adapter screws I was referring to.

20200424_171109_HDR~2.jpg 20200520_163950_HDR~2.jpg 20200520_164103_HDR~2.jpg

Ron R, mayer57619 and twhite like this.
  5. GAW9576

Yesterday's shave was my first shave with my recently acquired Schick type D. Unfortunately it has a damaged blade stop. Luckily it holds the blade very well. I just have to be careful with that corner. I split the shave pretty equally with the Fuzzy Catcher by twhite.
    I have a few razors that need minor repairs, I really need to learn to do fine detail soldering or Micro TIG welding/brazing.

IMG_07042021_175024_(1050_x_998_pixel).jpg IMG_07042021_174937_(1250_x_1103_pixel).jpg

6. mayer57619

mayer57619 Well-Known Member

GAW9576 likes this.
  7. GAW9576

First shave with a recently acquired ER lather catcher. I have another one but it has a damaged blade stop. This one has good blade stops and came with a nice handle with the stopping attachment that inserts into the end. The shave was quite nice. The Schick N is also a new acquisition and was loaded with a vintage twin blade. Both razors performed beautifully.

IMG_16042021_200619_(1293_x_1300_pixel).jpg

8. GAW9576

Trying out 2 new acquisitions today. The Schick I1 and the M2. Both razors shaved quite nicely. Also wearing the Momentum Base Layer today. Such a cool watch.

IMG_18042021_110424_(907_x_846_pixel).jpg

Ron R likes this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE dual shave, Friday, May 27th 2022. I recently bought a Yaqi Katana SE head on sale and received 2 excellent shaves with this razor and thought I would compare it to my Yaqi V2 Excalibur SE AC 50mm razor that I enjoy using and use it regularly. To be frank about the results for these 2 razors they shave very similar and I'm very pleased with results. I would say they are a tame mid>mid range razors & could be daily drivers for some folks IMO.

Razor :Yaqi Katana SE, Mfg 2021> uses 1/2 DE blade, nice tame mid>mid range, I load the top cap first with half blade and then the base plate and then clamp with fingers and then lightly snug handle and then bump blade with blade box for final alignment works well. No big alignment deal but it could be a little frustrating for some. Very affordable SE razor for folks who are looking for a good inexpensive SE razor to start out with IMO.
    Razor: Yaqi V2 Excalibur AC 50mm- Mfg 2021> uses AC 50mm blades, tame mid range, unique blade clamping, takes any AC 50mm blade, some manual adjustment of the top cap to safety bar, not a big deal for most folks. Very small head parts to assemble( I work above a wash cloth works well for assembly) but the results are worth the effortless shave in IMO. A very close comfortable shave mostly, more pricier blades than the 1/2 DE blades.
    Blade :Gillette Astra SP half blade (2) sharp & smooth with great longevity.
    Blade: Schick Pro-line AC 50mm (2)- sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity.
    Soap : Razorock Don Marco- nice citrus scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi Sagrada Familia 22mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, soft pillow like tips, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shaves with my Yaqi Katana & Yaqi V2 Excalibur SE razors with a 1/2 blade Astra + a Schick proline
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday + Daily double, February 27th 2023. Testing 4th shave of 4 consecutive daily shaves with the Yaqi SLOPE slant razor head.

Razor: (L) Gem Micromatic Flying wing(AKA=MMFW, MMBT, guiding eye....)-Mfg 1947-50, Tame mid range, a well built & designed razor and the heaviest of the 3 Micromatic variants. Very easy going shave this morning with excellent results.(have used this razor a lot over the years and thought it was a good choice for comparing similarities to my new Yaqi slant for shaving results).
    Razor: (R) Yaqi "SLOPE" 316 SS slant head (NEW Head design)with a Yaqi "Chippendale" Darwin looking handle-Mfg Jan 2023>, mild to tame mid range with excellent efficentcy, well designed and accurate CNC QC with adequate finish for most of my personal shaving needs. It is a compact slant compared to other slants in the market. I decided to use different blades while testing and the Perma-sharp was next of 3 blades to be tested. The shave was stellar with a new blade and mostly carefree shaving experience this morning.
    As for the Chippendale handle I'm adjusting to using it(different hand feel ) and really enjoy using it ATG pass( very comfortable) in the hand IMO. Very attractive handle and hard to Manufacture IMO.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(7) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
    Blade : Gillette Perm-sharp (1) sharp & smooth with great longevity, DE top tier blade for balanced performance shaving needs.
    Soap : Gillette Pure cream, nice clean scent with excellent lather qualities, makes excellent ubber lather with other soaps.
    Brush : Yaqi "black marble" 24mm tuxedo knot, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave : Razorock Blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results : (L)- CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] had a excellent shave with my MMBT with a Gem coated blade on (7) uses.
    Results : (R)- CCS,DFS.BBs + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]had a excellent shave with my Yaqi "SLOPE" 316 SS slant head with a Yaqi "Chippendale" Darwin looking handle with a Gillette Perma sharp blade (1) use. The Yaqi SLOPE slant slightly out performed the MMFW maybe because of the # of uses (7) on the GEM blade possibly. Both excellent blades. I like to do a feel test after 2 passes with no pickups yet to compare efficentcy of the two razors when comparing. The MMFW had a little more stubble feel under the chin area but the rest was similar on cheeks.
    6SOTD Feburary 27 2023 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  11. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

I just found this thread.. I sometimes use 2 things.. I will have to post some..
    I have a Durham in the "straight form " and one of the "T" bar ones also but have never been able to find any decent blades to use with it. Someone tried to send me a couple of blades once but they got lost in the mail and were Never seen again....

GAW9576 likes this.
  12. GAW9576

The "best" blades I've used in them are Personna carpet trimmer blades. They were just adequate. I've seen some people use AC style blades in them also and just use the one side. You have to be very careful placing the blade and clamping it down securely. And a shim may be needed on the opposite side to even out the clamping pressure. I haven't used the AC blades so I don't know if they need to be notched on the spine to fit or not.

jaro likes this.
  13. jaro

Good to know. I remember seeing I think subie do the AC blade " hack" once. I might try it sometime.i think he took one of the " industrial" blades and trimmed off the sharp sides and used it as a shim for an AC blade to secure it... I might try that !

GAW9576 likes this.
  14. GAW9576

I think I understand, but if you happen to run across his post on it or try it yourself pictures would be helpful.

jaro likes this.
  15. jaro

I will

GAW9576 likes this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD +Daily double, Thursday March 9th 2023, Day #3 of 3 consecutive daily shaves, thought I would have a little fun comparing Yaqi 1st Generation (V1) Mellon head VS Yaqi 2nd Generation Mellon head 316 SS (V2). I used the Yaqi Mellon head V1 on left side and the Yaqi Mellon head V2 on right side of my face.

Razor : (L) Yaqi 1st Generation(V1) Mellon head made from Zamak with a Yaqi brass(chrome plated) Hexahedral handle- Mfg 2018>, mild to tame mid range, well made for easy going shaving mostly, some blade tab over hang, great similar design from the 1930's Grande Shave King razor (GSK) but modern upgraded slightly & better performance to the GSK from videos watched. Very affordable and still enjoyed by many traditional shavers.
    It's nice that some rare old razor 1930's similar designs can be brought back to life 80 + years later for us to enjoy!
    Razor: (R) Yaqi 2nd Generation(V2) Mellon head polished 316 stainless steel with a Yaqi "Chippendale" polished 316 SS Darwin looking handle- Mfg Jan 2023>, mid range, excellent machining accuracy and finish QC, no blade tab overhang, there is a slight increase in efficentcy and slightly more blade feel compared to Yaqi 1st generation Melon head (V1) but nothing drastic IMO. The shave was enjoyable to compare final results with same blade on first use can also indicate to a user a lot about the 2 similar razors in appearance. The Yaqi V2 with the "Chippendale" Darwin looking handle felt great and performance was a excellent combination for my morning shave.
    Reasonable priced and look for sales if interested for this razor like I mostly always buy on it seems.
    Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP + both razors used new blades(1) Sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity. Top tier blades.
    Soap : Razorock Irish Country side, nice unique fresh scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi "Viper" 24mm boar brush, excellent lather generator, soft split end boar bristle hairs, nice splay scrubber, great lather painter.
    Post shave : Razorock Irish Country side with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Yaqi 1st Generation Mellon head with a Gillette 7oClock SP blade. Some blade tab overhang!
    Results : CCS,DFS, BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]Stellar excellent shave with my Yaqi 2nd Generation SS Mellon head (V2) with a Gillette 7oClock blade. No blade tab overhang.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

brit, GAW9576 and ChrisB like this.
  17. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

18. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday + daily double , November 27 2023

Razor : (L) Ever-Ready Streamline SE, 2nd generation , Mfg 1949-53, mid upper range. well made to last generations, this razor seems to like a slight Steep angle & a RIGS shim to smooth it out. I like to use it when blade count gets higher to take advantage of its blade feel. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
    Razor : (R)Yaqi Romulus 316 SSP with a Yaqi Chippendale SSP handle 4th use, Mfg 2023>, mild to tame mid range. Small head parts make for a nimble shave, clamping is great and uses my Schick proline blades. Machining and finish are excellent and happy using my favorite standard Schick P30 blades. The razor will give a BBS with it even being on the milder side. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE blade (9) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
    Blade : Schick Proline p30 (2)- sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity. One of favorite AC type blades
    Soap :Speick stick- nice mild spicy scented soap with excellent lather qualities. Excellent hard soap(triple milled).
    Brush : Yaqi " Barber pole" 24 mm 2 band badger. Excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter.
    Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda cologne after shave + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results : (L razor) [​IMG] or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Ever-Ready Streamline with a gem coated blade. Nice razor that takes a few tries to dial in I found when first purchased has been my experience. Blade use count is getting up there so it is close to a tie IMO.

Results : (R razor) [​IMG] or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers =[​IMG] Had a nice close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Romulus SSP SE AC type razor with a Schick proline blade. Using audio feedback and neutral angle the little razor performs great.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

brit, GAW9576 and ChrisB like this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE daily double shave, Tuesday, November 28th 2023

Razor (L) : Yaqi "Excalibur" chromed SE AC with a Yaqi Milano 316 SSP handle- Mfg 2021>, mild to tame mid range. Simple clamping system, small head parts(work on wash cloth to assemble). This little razor performs very well and is forgiving. I have used it about 100 + times over the last 2 years and it works well 95%> of the time for close comfortable shaves. Hade a close comfortable shave this morning. One of my favorite razors in SE .
    Razor (R) : Yaqi " Romulus" 316SSP with a Yaqi Chippendale 316 SSP handle (5th shave)- Mfg 2023>, mild range. Well made and machining and finish QC are spot on. When shaving it feels non threatening & feels very nimble, tactile + forgiving in the hand when shaving. Small head parts when assembling work best on wash cloth, slightly easier to assemble than the Excalibur IMO. It is slightly less aggressive then my beloved Excalibur but results can be very similar and a enjoyable a shave IMO. Excellent daily driver for folks who have to shave for work or enjoy daily shaving. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
    Blade (L razor) : Schick proline (3) sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity. I enjoy using this blade in the Excalibur.
    Blade (R razor) : Schick proline (1) sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity. Works well in the Romulus also.
    Soap : Speick Stick, nice mild spicy scent with excellent lather qualities. Great hard soap that is hard to beat for skin protection!
    Brush : Yaqi "Red Zebra" 26mm snow leopard syntenic knot. Excellent lather generator, luxury heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. One of my favorite brushes in 26mm synthetic's.
    Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results (L razor): [​IMG] or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Excalibur with a Schick proline blade.

Results (R razor): [​IMG] or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Romulus with a Schick proline p 30 blade. Had 5 continuous shaves now and mostly dialed in, great little razor.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576, ChrisB and brit like this.