The Decline and Resurgence of Wet Shaving

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Johnny, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

The Decline and Resurgence of Wet Shaving

A few weeks ago, I found myself in the position of trying to explain my interest in traditional wet shaving to my 27 and 34-year old sons. They are thoroughly modern men and they use modern shaving tools because, well...it's what modern guys do.

As I described the process to them, the paraphernalia, the pleasure, and the advantages.... one item provoked the strongest reaction. They were dismayed that I took 20 minutes to shave in the morning and that's really when it hit me. When you look at the rise of technology and the decline of manly rituals, inevitably the clock is to blame. We have sacrificed a whole host of pleasures on the altar of time and we are ultimately the poorer for it.

The pipe gives way to the cigarette. The ocean liner gives way to the airplane. The restaurant becomes the drive-through and the conversation becomes the text message...and all because we, as men, continue to believe that if we could just save a bit more time in our day we'd be able to really get to the things we wanted to do. Ironically, in the pursuit of having enough time to do what we want we are forced to dilute or discard the very things we wanted in the first place...and so our vitality dwindles away with every tick of the relentless clock.

Perhaps that is why in some sense we're all here at TSD. We want to recapture a forgotten pleasure. We want to revel in the luxury of choosing what we do with our morning routine and most of all, we want to remember the simple joy of not taking the quickest or most expedient road, but the sweet meandering path of our own curiosity.

This weekend as I was rushing through a morning shave I thought about all of this. I took a breath, and remembered that there was nothing on the agenda that couldn't wait just a few minutes more. In the moment of that realization, I became once again the master of the clock instead of its servant and my little daily ritual took on an added sweetness that hadn't been there just a moment before.

I wish for everyone here a similar moment of timeless indulgence. In the day-to-day flow of obligation and expectation, I encourage you to find a moment to ignore the demands of the clock and take pleasure in this mutual interest we all share. Ladies and Gentlemen, I wish for you all a truly excellent shave.
    Photo1378.jpg

brit, Ron R, Arnout and 50 others like this.
  2. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

3. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

Well said, Johnny. Most of us have pledged many times to "live for the day", and then adhere to that commitment as if it were a New Year's resolution.

fishcrow likes this.
  4. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

:signs107: Great article. I agree we would all benefit in slowing down a bit in the mad race of life.

Paul Turner likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Great article Johnny. A deep thought beyond just shaving.:)

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well as they say, speed kills! The clock is a tyrant to us all!

Great article Johnny.

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Good read Johnny.

8. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Thanks, Johnny - the older I get the faster the time goes by. However, a nice shave seems to slow it down a bit. :)

SevenEighth, CyanideMetal and ajdhn like this.
  9. ShortStrokes

ShortStrokes Well-Known Member

Very nicely said Johnny. I am always in a hurry to get things done and always try and remeber to slow down and live. This article sure helps.

10. RockHolger

RockHolger New Member

Well written Johnny.
    Can anyone say where all the time we save all the time goes?

11. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

That is SO true, Johnny! Great read!

I spoke with my brother last sunday on getting up and ready in the morning. Within 20 minutes after his clock starts ringing he is shaved and fully clothed, has had breakfast and is out of the door! Then I told him I take the same 20 minutes just for a leisurely shave. He didn't get it.

But to me it is the highlight of the day. At work one is ruled by the clock, but for a shave, I like to take the time. Guess that if we all took the time to enjoy the simple things in life -like a shave- it would be for the better! Thanx!

brit, Paul Turner and ShortStrokes like this.
  12. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

This definitely strikes a chord with me. The opportunity to take my time is one of my most precious luxuries. Good article.:happy096:

13. supe

supe Active Member

Well done Johnny!

14. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Active Member

Insightful and very well written. Thank you.
    Some say that time spent wet shaving does not count against one's allotted time on earth.

15. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

On a positive note, my 34 year old son decided he wanted to try this, so I gave him one of my Schick G1's and some Schick blades and he informs me it's the best shave he's ever had. Now if I could just get him off the Barbasol canned shave cream.

brit, ShortStrokes, macaronus and 2 others like this.
  16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Every journey starts with a single step. Get a brush and some soap or cream for his birthday.

I set my brother up with a kit and he loves the razor but wasn't a fan of the brush and soap. I find the brush and soap to be my favorite part of the shave.

macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  17. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I agree 100%. The prep (brush and soap) are everything.

His birthday is in April and he will be getting a Omega 10005 brush, Proraso soap, and a bottle of Floid Blue. :)

ajdhn, GDCarrington and PanChango like this.
  18. truegreen

truegreen New Member

Wow, nicely done. We are always rushing, running... in the process we forget that the its the little things that makes moment count. Thanks for reminding us this very eloquently

19. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference." -- Robert Frost

Great article Johnny. With my 34th b'day coming up soon I understand exactly what your sons are thinking. I just didn't know about this style of shaving until I was completely fed up with irritation from carts & electrics. Your points also hit home with me because the clock controlling life was a big reason I wanted to get out of Atlanta & to raise a family in a smaller & "slower" town. Thanks again for an enjoyable read.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  20. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Bang on pal. I take at least 15 minutes to shave and don't care what else is happening. This is "me" time and yeah, every now & then, we all have to hurry, rush or whatever but I always make sure to "slow" it right back down again.