The Family Barber Chair

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Bill, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    This thread is awesome!

So cool!

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    You guys never cease to amaze me. Good catch Dennis.

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Wow....good reference pictures. Its a 3k chair :)

4. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

eBay does it again for finding info!

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

If that is not the same chair it is darn close!!!!

Very cool!!!!

Raf

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

If I buy that chair, who is gonna come over and shave me every morning :rofl

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Don't look at me. :eek:

8. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Wow... Dennis, that's amazing. The reference photos are fantastic. I'm going to email the seller and offer to buy some pictures of the workings of the chair. It is really close to mine, for sure.

I could almost deduce that the possibilities of my chair coming from the same manufacturer could be a plausible possibility. I say that because most Mormon families came from Iowa and Ohio and moved to SLC in the mid 1800's. At least my family roots were from there. I'm trying to dig up a pic of the barber shop from family members.

In the meantime, I dug up a couple of patents. If you go to Google, there is a tab called "more". Under that there is a choice called "patents". That's where I found these. I skimmed over the choices pretty quickly, so I might even find something closer with more research. Here's the one I think is closest for now.

[vbpg]559[/vbpg]
    [vbpg]560[/vbpg]

Here are the other ones. This first one looks like the same framework for the chair.
    [vbpg]556[/vbpg]

This is close, but the rachet assembly for the headrest is a little different.
    [vbpg]557[/vbpg]
    [vbpg]558[/vbpg]

Since it looks like the chair is from the late 1800's, I'm going to have to assume my chair was put in the shop after "X" number of years, or that the shop was actually opened later than what my uncle remembers. That could be the case because I know he had a couple of other dates mixed up a little. He's 86, so I'll cut him some slack.

9. denmason

denmason Uncle Dennis

This is really getting better all the time. It's early morning and I'm out the door soon, but can't wait to get home and have a look at these drawings.

10. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

The seller of the barber chair on ebay was kind enough to send me the following pics. After reviewing them and then studying the hole patterns of missing hardware on my chair, I think a different mechanism was used on mine. At least I'm getting things narrowed down.

[vbpg]574[/vbpg]

[vbpg]575[/vbpg]

[vbpg]576[/vbpg]

11. denmason

denmason Uncle Dennis

:rofl Hey Bill, they sent me the same photos by email! :rofl
    They're probably wondering what the heck is going on here? :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

I provided him a link to this thread when I first contacted him so he could see all that was going on.

13. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Fun thread ...

hope to see the out come on that chair Bill is quite the handyman... :signs021

14. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Like Mystery Theater meets the Antiques Roadshow!

15. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

THis is definitely a great thread

16. seamus402

seamus402 You don't mess with Big Slim

This might be the second best thread ever!

17. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

What I want to know is how its working out

18. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

The shed, my man, the shed. Then the giveaway razor... unless you want I should finish the chair first... ;)

19. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I say do what makes you happy......

A happy crafter makes for happy crafts :p

20. bg42

bg42 New Member

exellent

Bill ,what an excellent piece of family history and I bet there are other relatives just as eager to get their hot little hands on it just as much as you obviously were ,so you are lucky ,very lucky indeed to have it in your possession.
    Unfortunately our family are not so big on air looms however I`m in possession of my farther`s violin ,his mother told the relow`s that it was worth $20,000 while she was suffering from dementia ,it really worth about $400, its quite amusing really occasionally relatives that I didn`t even know existed would pop up out of the wood work wanting to meet ,you know chew the fat,and really all they are trying to do is track down the fabled violin .I might sell it to one of them one day ,dad told me to chuck it in the bin.
    Anyway ,back to the chair ,that red velvet looks absolutely smick ,to me anyway,so whats it going to be leather or velvet, and now for the $60,000 question ( that bloody violin has gone up by twenty grand already) did you manage to acquire some of his razors
    All the best Bill ,some progress pics would be appreciated
    Kind regards Peter
    PS thats 4 posts