The Fellowship of Cold Water Shavers

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Jayaruh, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Don't let that weigh heavily on your mind! :rofl:

mrchick and Robyflexx like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Oh, that Clint
    Not a problem. I figured it was something like that. Have fun!

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

OK, I couldn't wait til tomorrow. I did another 1 day beard growth cold water shave.Two days in a row of any shave is not like me at all, but I couldn't resist the temptation. Except for a different razor and adding cologne, all went great. IMG_0531.JPG

4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Great setup! Seems the cold water is really doing the trick. :)

jimjo1031 and Jayaruh like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah. When you shave with cold water, you can easily shave every day. I am thinking of adding ice to my water tomorrow.

6. jimjo1031

Hmmmm, ice huh. Only thing that I got a little burn on was the cologne. I don't usually use it on every shave, just when going out. Ice water rinse could change that.

7. jimjo1031

Just gotta get better brushes. Looking at the Maggard synthetic 22mm knot to put on one of my DIY brushes. Oh, can I use the Cold Water Sign?

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. Robyflexx

Absolutely! That's what I made it for, enjoy. The Maggard knots are an excellent choice and well liked by most, I would not hesitate to get one. :)
    146491554470540726.gif

jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. jimjo1031

Yeah, also went with the price, $8.99 shipped

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Robyflexx

[​IMG]

SOTD Tue. 6/7/16
    Prep: Noxzema Classic :love029: :love055:
    SS: TFS Ginestra Di Taormina :love029: :love055:
    SB: Semogue 620 Boar :love029: :love055:
    Razor: GEM PushButton :love029: :love055:
    Blade: GEM
    ASB: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill :love029: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:

Shower Soap Bar: Grandpa's Pine Tar :love029: :love055:
    Cologne: Lapidus by Ted Lapidus :love029: :love055:
    [​IMG]

Good morning guys. Just enjoyed a wonderful three pass shave with the GEM PushButton, this razor is such a treat to shave with. It's very easy to maneuver and works very well for hard to read areas like under the nostrils and also works very well ATG under the nose. This TFS soap is outstanding providing easy rich, slick lather every time with outstanding skin care throughout. Three easy passes for a dolphin smooth finish. Riding the GEM train....... :transport022: Have a great day friends. :smile :):

[​IMG]

George X, mrchick and Linuxguile like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Today I had my first Ice Water Shave. I added a glass full of ice to my sink of cold water and it cooled it down immediately. It was another level of coolness and comfort. I will be doing this more. Thanks, @Robyflexx.
    [​IMG]
    Tuesday's
    [​IMG]

12. Robyflexx

I'm very happy it worked for you Jim. The ice water is highly appreciated here in FL where the heat and humidity has been unbearable lately. :Animatedfrozensmily:

Jayaruh and PLAla like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Let me say THIS about THAT.. YEEOWWWWWWWWWW

Jayaruh likes this.
  14. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

I think I completely forgot about this thread since starting cold water shaving. So here I am and here was my shave this morning. I'll add my thoughts on cold water shaving at the end.
    Tuesday
    [​IMG]
    Razor: 56' Flair Tip
    Soap: Mason Boutique Vivian
    Brush: Vie Long Horse Hair
    Blade: Gillette the Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    Fantastic Shave Today, face is BBS everywhere even the trouble areas. These blades are some of the best I've used. The baby did almost get away from me but I chased it down. Did result in a little irritation on the neck and chin but the clubman took care of it quickly and left my skin feeling smooth and clean.

Mini review of my consistent cold water shaves for I think the whole month of May (if I remember correctly I started roughly in early may)
    Pros of Cold Water Shaving:
    1: Skin feels tight and seems to reduce the chance of blade skipping
    2: feels very refreshing and is a great way to wake up in the AM
    3: greatly reduces irritation (usually, it can't stop the imminent irritation from shaving with a heavy hand or a dull blade or bad technique in general, depending on how bad the pressure and technique)
    d: we have cool banners ;)
    V: if your hot water heater goes out you have nothing to worry about.
    Some cons that I have found:
    1: can at times make the hair too stiff, though this is usually preferred because it makes the hairs easier to cut by reducing the amount that the blade skips over hairs. But at times, in areas such as my neck and chin where my hair is naturally more stiff, with the added cold water the hairs can get too tough for even more aggressive razors to mow through. But this is a rarity.
    2: that may be the only con that I have experienced.
    Cold water shaves are where it's at

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Good stuff, CJ! You're right that poor technique or disagreeable blades can cause irritation that cold water can't help. But hopefully we're constantly trying to improve our technique and the bad shaves become less frequent. I am a complete cold water convert! It works great for me. As always for anyone, YMMV. But I'm glad to have this thread and to unfurl our cool banners each day in our posts!

16. whiteboy_cannon

Yes technique will almost always trump tools, even cold water. Which I can see as a tool.

Jayaruh, Robyflexx and PLAla like this.
  17. whiteboy_cannon

Also, what's the consensus on using the banners and maybe starting a similar thread on another shave forum? Just want to ask permission before I go ahead with it

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jayaruh and Robyflexx like this.
  18. Robyflexx

Great post Conner, loaded with insight and good observations. :thanks:

PLAla likes this.
  19. Robyflexx

Conner,
    Conner, use the banners freely brother. :)

George X and mrchick like this.
  20. whiteboy_cannon

Thank you Rob!

mrchick and Robyflexx like this.