The Four Generations of Synthetic Fibers - Clarifications

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GDCarrington, Apr 12, 2014.

1. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the time out to write this. I am at the point were I want to expand on the brush part of this obsession I mean hobby. I want to only purchase synthetics. You answered my question before I had to ask it on the forum.
    I now have a new question though. Very few , almost none of the brushes in there discription say what gen they are . Is there an updated guide or chart ? I know there has been a recent explosion of synthetic brushes and makers recently so it may not be possible to keep up with them all. Maybe the best way would be to contact each company and ask about each model.
    Then that brings me to what gen the sold alone knots are . For DIYers. Probably just have to contact directly again .
    Is there a rule of thumb that may apply ?
    Sorry for so many questions, still new to traditional shaving and even newer to the details of brushes.

Bill_F and Douglas Carey like this.
  2. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

I think that GDCarrington in his August 1 post mentioned the chart was updated recently. Unless I misunderstand, the 3rd and 4th generation fibers are made by major fiber manufactures. While I don't have any knowledge of where the 4th generation knots could be purchased for DIY, if you're interested in getting one to check out the Frank Shave Pur-Tech is pretty inexpensive. I bought it for a trip and like it. As for 3rd generation knots, I think you can get them from Whipped Dog.

Good luck on your quest!

Douglas Carey and NapalmCola like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Isn't this STICKY worthy?

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

especially if Gary is leaving us. I'll miss his wisdom and guidance.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Leaving us??? What's up with that??

6. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Gary hasn't been with us since the end of September. It's a pity. I loved his posts and the PMs we had about this subject. I had noticed changes in latex paint brush fibers. As he told me and a paint brush manufacturers rep confirmed, Dupont has about cornered the market on synthetic fibers.

...to be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

Douglas Carey, Tdmsu and wmbjr like this.
  7. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

+1 :signs011:

Douglas Carey and tuxxdk like this.
  8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know what to say. Will be missed for sure

9. TADIII

TADIII Active Member

Well, I hate to resurrect an old thread but I wasn't quite sure where else to turn.
    Has anyone taken over the maintenance of the chart on Page 1 since Gary left? If someone has, where can I find it?
    I have only one synthetic brush (see Tuxedo Collective), but have just ordered two more (a Stirling and something called Silvertip) - this is not just Acquisition Disorder, this is obsessive compulsive behavior overlain with AD!
    Anyway, I'm looking for as much info as I can get on synthetic brushes, in case I suddenly need even more.
    Help? And, thank you.

Tom

Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Thanks for taking the time to detail that. Very interesting. PS I can vouch for Gen 4. It's as described.

Tdmsu and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. david of central florida

Silvertip is not a synthetic, its a badger hair knot.

12. TADIII

TADIII Active Member

13. david of central florida

I see, you are correct.
    Gary, please come finish your chart.