The Gem Didn't Do it For Me

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jay_gatz, Sep 4, 2021.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Maybe it is but the picture is not definative for me. And when I say they said that doesn't always mean gold plated. Brass depending the alloy mix when buffed to a mirror polish does have a gold like color.

2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

As far as shaving variants goes it is either with or without the guiding eye. Guiding eye versions are fairly mild, without less so but not overly aggressive. The plastic tip ones are hardly necessary to acquire to use as a shaver since you can find a nickle, chrome or gold plated one with a metal knob much cheaper.

The plastic knob version was released in 1950 and was sold for maybe a year if that before the micromatic line was retired outright. The guiding eye versions regardless of finish were made from 47 - 48ish and the re-tuned ones without a guiding eye from 48ish until 1950. If I get around to it I'll dig up the ads I posted either here or over at another forum that show the approximate date for the switch over.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Not much better the bullet tip razors with the guiding eye are mild razor razors. You want one without, that will be more aggressive but not overly so. If you want aggressive get an open comb micromatic those are up there with some of the most aggressive Gem style SE razors ever made.

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Alright.

5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If they are coated then yes. If not then no, with that said uncoated stainless steel blades as long as they have a 3 facet cut are suitable for shaving which those will be.

6. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

They say “coated” on the box, so good to go there.

7. jay_gatz

Well, we’ll see, since I pulled the trigger on that one. Even if it’s a little more efficient I’ll be happy.

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Best way to find out. Gem razors in the main are cheap enough you can buy almost all the unique shavers made from the Micromatics to the Contour II razors for around $100 as long as you stay away from collector marketed sets or unopened blister packs.

I'd recommend you get or if you want I'll let you borrow my Micromatic open comb. If that razor is not up to snuff for you then you can skip all these Gem razors since they are not even in the same ball park as far as aggressiveness goes. Your wallet with either thank you or curse you depending how that works out.

9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I would use the term gold wash rather than gold plate as we are talking about a very thin non durable coating. Ad from '46.

[​IMG]

Dave in KY, Ron R and IAmTheJody like this.
  10. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Agree with that assessment, and I noted in one of my previous posts that ASR was known for their very thin plating or wash. My point is/was they were not sold as just raw naked brass. Plating, wash, coating... It's covered.

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Agreed. Comment was more directed at our skeptical friend . It took me about 1 minute of light polish to ruin my recently acquired minty gold Bullet Tip.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Maybe... It is still on the mild side for my tastes. I think the Clog Pruf is the sweet spot of the Micromatic line. They have a little less blade feel than the OC and are a little more aggressive than the bullet tip.

13. jay_gatz

So then would this be uber aggressive in your opinion?

[​IMG]

14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I wouldnt call a 1924 Uber aggressive, but it is more so than the clog pruf. I only have a limited sample of razors but I think it is slightly more so than the OCMM as well. One of my favorite shavers.

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The only GEM I've used that I'd describe as very aggressive has been one of the squat head 1912 variants, much more aggressive than either MMOC or 1924.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

16. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I tried the Micromatic TTO and couldn't manage a decent shave. I bled more with that razor than any other razor I've ever used. I was told that I should've started out with a Clog-Pruf, so I got a Gem Jr. -- sure enough, I was able to perfect my technique with the Clog-Pruf and my next shave with the Micromatic was much better! The GEM technique is different than a DE. Now I can manage a decent shave with either Micromatic of Clog-Pruf (GEM Jr.), but BOTH of those razors are more difficult to use than an old 1940s Gillette Super-Speed. So the GEMs went on a shelf to lounge around doing nothing while my old Gillette razors do all the work. The GEMs just weren't FUN to use. Maybe I'll pull them out of retirement someday and play with them... but for now my GEMs are just gathering dust and I'm enjoying shaving again. If it ain't fun, don't do it.*
    ;-)
    - Bax

*Baxendale's First Rule of Shaving

twhite likes this.
  17. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

Make that three of us. LOL.. plus the seller dropped the price by 10 bucks. :angry032:
    Screenshot_2021-09-08-10-00-04.jpg

Dave in KY, IAmTheJody and twhite like this.
  18. jay_gatz

Well, I'm down the rabbit hole, have one of the 17 tooth clog Pruf's inbound, as well as the Micromatic bullet tip.

IAmTheJody, Ron R, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Well that didn't take long.
    Welcome to the club!

jimjo1031, IAmTheJody and Jayaruh like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yep, welcome to the club

jimjo1031 and twhite like this.