The Haul: December 2018

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

My Xmas gifts were great
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Got these from my mom. Looking forward to trying the Parker adjustable out.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

No experience with the blades, your mom did great! Variant and AV are awesome

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

◘ The Chinese safety bar/open comb head arrived yesterday. Have not shaved with it but the chrome (?) plating looks really, really nice and the fit seems square. The only handle I have that screws onto it, though, is a skinny ball end Tech handle. Fat Tech nickel handle would be a better match.

◘ Walmart has those Cremo body wash/cologne sets 50% off. I picked up the Bourbon/Oak and Blue Cedar/Cypress. Haven't tried them yet either.

◘ Local thrift keeps a tote full of watches at the counter for $3.50 each whether they work or not. 99% are worthless junk even if they run but I usually scrounge for bands. Yesterday found a 1990 Caravelle (Bulova sub-brand) dive watch. Was not high end when it was new and it's now pretty rough but it looks okay for 30 years of wear. Rolled the dice, loaded a new battery and it's running like a champ. Here it is on my orange Barton. My new knockaround watch.

20181228_075541.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    AGHisBBS, Dansco, dmshaver and 12 others like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The first watch I bought was a Caravelle in '73, which I saved from my paper route money. It cost a little over $60.00 back then. It was my every day watch until it met it's demise in a plastic grinding machine some years later.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I bought my dad a little plastic diver style Caravelle back in the early 90s. He wore it off and on until a few years ago. I keep a battery in it so it won't lock up. The thing just will not die.

7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Picked up a couple of Old Spice mugs tonight (one with a puck of soap) on a random antique store stop.
    It's not like I need any more mugs but the prices and the puck of soap persuaded me.

A very nice Hull Pottery 01 ('38-'44) for $6. This was the first mug offered by Shulton. The inside bottom is stained and there is a very small chip on the lip that you can see at about 10 o'clock in both photos. The paint on the words and ship is nice and dark. All in all, excellent condition for a mug that's 74-80 years old. I was thrilled to find it in such fantastic condition.

IMG_8586.JPG

The newer mug is an American Glass Early o6 (1961-64) and it was priced at $9 with a nearly new puck of soap. The vendor's booth had a 20% offer for cash transactions so the mug and soap set me back $7.20.
    You can still see (faintly) the soap's ship and logo imprint so there's plenty of product left. It had a thick coat of dust on the top so I used my wife's toothbrush to clean most of it off. I'll just need to wash a little more off the top before using it.

IMG_8588.JPG

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    AGHisBBS, dmshaver, mrchick and 16 others like this.
  8. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Picked up a Schick type L. Just got through cleaning it up. It was the Championship razor but the striping was all messed up. I scrapped the striping off and sanded the area where the striping was lightly. I then soaked the handle in Clorox to remove some staining and polished the head up. The little Schick cleaned up great for a cheap little razor. I like the razor better without the striping.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

AGHisBBS, dmshaver, mrchick and 13 others like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I really liked my schick when I had one except the blades were hit and miss, so I gave it up due to poor blade performance.

Edison Carter likes this.
  10. Hembree

Is there any blades you would recommend?

RyX and PLAla like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm probably not the best to ask, but I used Personna and Chicks (Chinese Schicks). Try asking those on the SE thread, I sure they may more choices.

RyX, PLAla, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

20181228_212345.jpg went shopping at antique shops today and found this.. the proper case for a u.s prewar tech.finally my u.s prewar has a house..it had a poor canadian old type in it.$10 taxe s in..

AGHisBBS, dmshaver, mrchick and 14 others like this.
  13. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Late Christmas Present From a Friend. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Wow, sleep well at night? Friends like that, I'm just sayin.
    You do know, the biggest part of dust is dead skin cells.

Edison Carter and John Beeman like this.
  15. Hembree

:happy097:

Edison Carter, John Beeman and brit like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That's a real nice set. I have a Surrey brush the same color that I'm going to restore soon ... I may highlite the lines in blue ... I really think they have a nice shape. :eatdrink013:

17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

On my wandering yesterday, I found these...

20181229_091228.jpg
    All Gillette razors.
    They cleaned up rather nice. The two meatal techs need some thread work, kinda loose but ok, the black tech cap was in the middle of cleaning for painting but it looks great just silver, so I'm gonna leave it. The flare tip and slim are great, better than user grade. What you find at junk stores.
    :happy088:
    tp

18. Hembree

Great score.

dmshaver likes this.
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I made a file and uploaded it to Walmart Photo and got this coffee cup. I did it on the 25th, and it was at Walmart on the 28th. I picked it up this morning. It was $9 and change including tax. If you would like to make one for yourself, PM me your email address and I will shoot you the file.

williamsmug1.JPG

20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Schick blades are a great starting point.

upload_2018-12-29_8-36-9.jpeg

Personna blades are also good. The package is bigger with 20 blades. If you want Personna blades I would check with @Linuxguile and his Andrew's Shave Shop for a great price and first class service.

upload_2018-12-29_8-37-36.jpeg

There are also Schick Proline blades. These are a fairly new addition to the field and are the sharpest of these three, in my opinion. Andrew's Shave Shop is also a great source for these blades. The only thing about these is that there is no injector key, so you have to load the blades manually or cross-load them into a blank cartridge.

upload_2018-12-29_8-39-19.jpeg

Then you have lots of vintage selections from the bay and elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.