The Haul: February 2018

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

My great uncle passed away last month at age 95. I did not know him well as he lived in Utah most of his life while we lived in Alabama. My father, however, has been able to see him more and more the past few years. So after his passing my dad found a bunch of shaving gear and asked me if wanted it. I said yes! So here goes:

IMG_2202.JPG
    (L-R) VDH soap, Vermont Country Store Lime Musk soap, Burma-Shave soap, no name badger (shedding badly)

IMG_2203.JPG
    (L-R) Gillette TTO (not sure what kind), Slim, Fatboy, Trac II demonstration razor, Trac II razor, Gillette blades on top

IMG_2204.JPG
    Schick E injector on top, band razor, Schick J1.

IMG_2205.JPG
    (L-R) H. Boker and Co. "Our Own", Geneva Cutlery Company (Geneva, NY)

IMG_2206.JPG
    (L-R) Hugo Offenbach Wald-Solingen (Germany), Western States Cutlery Company (Boulder, CO)

Lots to clean and try out! Fun haul when you get heirlooms from your relatives.

MR41, preidy, jeraldgordon and 28 others like this.
  2. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Wow, I'm speechless....for once . That's like finding the treasure chest . You must be giddy holding all those goodies .

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great haul Perry. :happy088:

4. PLAla

It’s pretty neat!

Thanks, Clint!

Linuxguile and 9nein9 like this.
  5. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Here's my haul for today. Hands were shaking when I picked it up. Many many thanks again@Bama Samurai. 15182200091690.jpg 15182200309461.jpg 15182200505762.jpg

MR41, preidy, SHAVEWIZARD420 and 21 others like this.
  6. Robie Persaud

Robie Persaud Member

:lyrtuy5:

9nein9, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Troy @Bookworm and I both only see this symbol where an image would be.
    one way sign.gif
    Could be a hosting issue. The details/properties suggest there is an image, but it's not visible to everyone. Living vicariously through the gear others bring into their dens can be fun. Some of us are missing out on a thrill!
    If you want to experiment, there is a Post Testing thread.

8. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I don't see anything either

Linuxguile and 9nein9 like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Direct from Moscow Cartel HQ.

100 of Moscow's finest... [​IMG]

MR41, preidy, SHAVEWIZARD420 and 15 others like this.
  10. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

The unknown Gillette is an early Superspeed. If it doesn't have a date code then it is either a '46-'47 if it has a straight middle bar, or if the bar is notched it's a '48-'49 or first 3 quarters of 1950. They started adding the date codes in the fourth quarter of 1950. Either way it's the best of the Superspeeds in my opinion.

TestDepth, RyX, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  11. PLAla

It doesn't have a date code and the bar seems straight. Could it be a military razor?

9nein9 likes this.
  12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Here is a comparison between un-notched (left) and notched (right) center bars. The notch made it easier to load a blade from a dispenser. I've never heard of the military issuing a TTO razor, it's usually a 3 piece you see in military sets. Of course I was wrong once in 1997, so I suppose it could happen again.;)
    IMG_1979.JPG

mrchick, Jayaruh, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  13. PLAla

Ah, the one I have is a notched center bar. I see what you mean now. Neat razor - thanks!

TestDepth, RyX, 9nein9 and 1 other person like this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

From a quick Google search, unless there was another appeal I see that Segal won that suit brought by Gillette (4th circuit COA Nov 1939). Seems that Gillette was in the habit of buying old patents to stifle competition. One 1925 patent for a (never produced) one piece razor they purchased in 1934 presumably to kill off Aristocrat competition The judge in this case quite strongly rejected Gillette's claim that Segal's 1931 design infringed on that 1925 patent . Not that it helped Segal any apparently.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    jtspartan, TestDepth, 9nein9 and 2 others like this.
  15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Thanks for the detailed info. The razor bible I got for Xmas didn't go into great detail but indicted they ceased production as a result of a patient suit. One way or another with Gillette I guess. A shame. Regards.

jmudrick and 9nein9 like this.
  16. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Nice save. That's my kind of Thrift store! The best I ever find is cool ash trays and art deco salad bowls.

9nein9 and DaltonGang like this.
  17. Robie Persaud

Robie Persaud Member

Oh wow sorry. I'm new to posting pics so please forgive me. I will try to post again.

RyX and 9nein9 like this.
  18. Robie Persaud

Robie Persaud Member

Okay here we go again. Hope it was loaded this time. Sorry fellas I don't usually post and am not too computer savvy when it comes to this sorta stuff.

IMG_0095.jpg IMG_0097.jpg

19. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Great pics Robie and welcome aboard. Love the Blue Jays hats . Was my Dad's fav team .

Robie Persaud and RyX like this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Gillette was quite devious. Segal initially sued Gillette for patent infringement when they brought out the Aristocrat. Before that case could be heard Gillette went out and acquired the old O'Malley patent then brought suit against Segal for violating it. Letting the market decide was not Gillette's style.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    9nein9 and RyX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.