The Haul: January 7th - January 13th, 2008

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by PalmettoB, Jan 6, 2008.

1. MaxP

MaxP Member

OMG. My favorite!

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I cant even imagine 5gb of ram

3. Padron

Padron Active Member

Wow,

Nice hauls guys!! Rene, will your Mac even utilize 5Gb of ram? That's incredible :D

I got a gently used Rooney Style 3 Size 1 in Finest....

[​IMG]

4. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

From Superlather:

Ingrams cream tubes (x2)
    Italian Palmolive cream tubes (x2)
    400ml Italian Floid Blue (woot!)
    500ml Proraso Pre-Post cream (WOOT!)

From Vegas trip at T&H store at Ceasar's:
    T&H Almond cream tub
    T&H Volumizing shampoo

That T&H store also stocks the Kent series of hair brushes. Had a good talk with their straight razor shave guy who happened to be working there that day. Very small store (compared to most Vegas-style sized retail outlets) but I got to finally smell their Spanish Leather EdT. The sales guy kept trying to push their Ultimate Comfort cream, and I discussed the rumors of recent reformulations, etc. He stated that only the UC cream and the West Indian Limes cream are of the thinner, shinier consistency, and he humored me by allowing me to open numerous pots of the various other creams (Almond, 1805, Lavender, etc.) and sure enough he seemed to be right on with his statement. He then said he's currently selling out of the Lavender scent to make room for the Rose scent, and that he was currently in negotiations with his distributor in England to begin stocking the Rose cream again, but could not give a definitive ETA (other than 2 to 3 months) of when the Rose might be available again! He even said that they do free shipping and no tax on phone orders. All in all a very pleasant and interesting visit.

5. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Great Brush Neale !!! :drool Horn ! :drool

Finally back online, 5Gb ram utilize oh yes baby you better believe it !

The next cheap way of increasing computer performance is in the video caching and memory chaching so the more you have the easier for the OS or CPU to utilize it. I easily have sometimes 9-10 simultanous programms running and 1GB is def. too low. The computer will solve the memory problem by using your HD space as virtual memory thats something that precious to me too because I dont have so much of it only 250 GB internally its always full and im not even doing Audio /music yet which was I bought the mac for so I def. am ordering 500GB as the next upgrade.

Took sometime to get back online as I opened the mac I was SHOCKED :eek::eek:

How much DUST was inside , gathered in only 6 months ? biggest killer of computers Dust. so I took my air can and blew out all the dirt first.

it runs smooth now everything feels even faster now ,responds faster now.
    mac is still as quiet as can be it has only 2 Huge fans build in to cool the system usually pc users complain about the loud noise the fans make. its almost silent here the danger of using none apple memory as the book says is the machine will make more sound. it seems the specs are good
    I will def. clean the computer every 6 months .

Attached Files:

• 5GB.jpg
      5GB.jpg
      File size:
      76.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Looks great Rene :D....and here I thought I had plenty of RAM at 1Gb in each PC :o

5Gb in your MAC will certainly be a powerful machine :drool :drool

7. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Damn, 5GB would be nice for me. Maybe one day I’ll try a Mac. My PC is getting old and I’ll probably have to replace it within six months. The thing is I like to assemble my PC and I find Mac to be suspiciously expensive. I just paid a visit to the Apple Store online. My configuration: 4.198,99€. Free shipping. Grrreat. Anyway, I will not install Vista. I’ll just wait for Windows 7.

8. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Buying a Mac is one of the best decisions I've ever made! And you don't NEED 5GB RAM for a Mac to outperform a PC, it does even with 1GB!

9. SSLSTudio...

:rofl

so true..but most people dont know that I advice just go to an apple reseller and sit behind it and work on it for some time ask if you can browse get the feel. most sellers will comply.

10. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Here it is.

11. SSLSTudio...

Lyrt dont fall for that crap,
    I bought my Mac as cheap as possible ,meaning the most bare system.

from here you will build it up to the specs you like ,NEVER EVER buy an apple maxed out you will be bankrupt. I was lucky to find some seller who made apple aproved specs memory . thats basically the only thing that was hard to find. HD space any SATA2 HD will simply fit dont even get apple HD.
    the only problem we all face and im frank with that is Graphics cards.
    Apple only has drivers for certain NVDIA cards or apple aproved cards that if you get a PC card it will not work because of no driver written for it.

Im building a dual system here basically want the fastes XP system here and OSX so im getting a seperate HD for bootcamp which lets the computer reboot in full XP and then you have everything a normal PC has . and there for any Graphics PCI-X card you find will work because you have drivers. which im aiming for to be able to run the heaviest of PC games think Crysis.
    I Like Office better on XP then on the mac somehow Im not getting used to the way apple EXCEL sheets look . so for that we install Parrallel which is so fast that it makes the intel able to use and OSX and XP realtime next to eachother and then for simple Office use that is fine I wont need to use bootcamp and loose OSX workability I can switch between both OS's as fast as possible. so you actually get more BANG /Computer for ya $$$.

Like I said with Apple always buy as empty as possible then upgrade yourself. which is a no brainer since the only stuff you will be upgrading is
    1- Ram
    2- HD
    3- GRFX Cards

The mac has 4 SATA slots , 8 Dimm slots, 4 PCI-X slots.
    you dont need the 8 core ! The machine I have will be enough for all your Photoshop wetdreams ever and gaming too.

The system I have now is probably 1000 times faster then what I bought in 1995 and yes my 1st system I was out 6000, € so you can imagine how I felt with each new computer that came out I didnt wanna upgrade till I really really had to because I was using the companies PC for stuff my mac couldnt do anymore and before I knew it I was completely migrated to the PC , im glad im back to mac and it didnt take anytime to adjust felt natural from the beginning and there is way more software and everything these days comes out as XP and OSX compatible.

12. SSLSTudio...

Depends Neal what you are doing with it, if your quite the gamer then 1GB is cuttig it close and online gaming will cause frame slips.

If your a hardcore photoshopper its a bit low when doing extensive work using lots of layers.

overall any PC will feel better with 2GB.

if you just watch DVDs on it 1GB is enough the 2GB will just make everything feel smoother /faster.

The 5GB really boosted my system everything goes faster smoother but it really exploded my system from fast to SUPER fast.

things boot up faster, opening windows Im used to a bit delay..its open before im even aware and having to look twice oh its there already.

The biggest test that I could quickly do is repair a DVD with macpar which usually takes alot of time ,stress on the system and if you need to repair 3 par files well sit down for 10-12minutes just for the repair + 14m for unpacking the par files.! my system used to freeze almost reading/checking 94 par files a 48mb big.
    but now I was able to simply do anything else while the system was repairing the damaged 3 files. 1 minute it was done so fast it was already unpacking the DVD I havent clocked how fast it unwrapped the par's to DVD files.

if you know your DDR ram you need check out ebay some good deals.

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Thanks, Johan!

Great review!

Now go review TSD soaps. :D just playing with you.

14. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

A totally unforseen haul: I found a bottle of 4711 EdC out at our country house. It might have been brought there by my mother in law. Now it resides in my cabinett! :p

Attached Files:

15. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

FINALLY!!!

Nice............ :D

Attached Files:

16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Yippyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Ticky Tack Crack strikes again!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

1x Alt Innsbruck a/s
    1x Tryphon Mentolo shaving stick :drool :drool :drool :drool (what a scent)
    1x Tryphon Old American Barbershop shaving stick :drool :drool :drool (mon Dieu, c'est magnifique!)
    1x Tryphon Florida Water shaving stick :drool :drool :drool :drool (oh, que c'est bon!)
    1x Fa Oceanic s/c tube
    1x Park Avenue Royal Musk s/c tube
    2x Old Spice Lime s/c tubes :drool :drool :drool :drool (putain, ce n'est pas normal!)

Life is sooooooo beautiful!

17. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Very Nice HAul Jeff

18. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Thanks, Isaac! I'm sooooooo excited from it! :: :: :: :: :happy023:bounce

19. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Got this one a while ago but never put it on the haul thread:

Attached Files:

20. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Nice haul Jeff and a nice camera JB. What's the recording medium?

I got some Feather Super Professional blades for the ACD-N finally. A little thicker for heavier beards. I've used them the last couple of days with some of Rick's wonderful screams. I have definitely found the blade for the ACD-N that suits me. Combine that with Rick's screams and I come real close to a one pass shave. So, now, I need to test it with some other creams and soaps and see what happens.