The Haul - July 2016

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Bama Samurai, Jul 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My 1960s Avon arrived. Bath Oil is as expected...piney and herbal-ish. The After Shave Soother is showing it's 50 years of age. No idea what it smelled like originally but it now is bergamot and the ghost of some citrus overlaying a too-heavy foundation of straight up lanolin. I smelled a near empty bottle several years ago and this is exactly the same as it was then. I'm wearing it and it is somewhat soothy, but due to the fragrance it's best left for conditioning leather watchbands and the like. There's no way the lanolin could have smelled this strong when it was new; wonder if an infusion of EO would knock it down some. Nah, probaly not.

[​IMG]

Beware.

EDIT: 10 minutes later and the sheep has died down to something resembling a simple, plain but dusty soapiness. Neutral to slightly musty; almost like clean soil but not actually dirty. Reminds me of the various machine oils, cutting fluids and metal dust I had on my hands and clothes working in a metal shop. Not unmanly; tolerable. Too odd to wear out, though. Yeah, best used for watchbands and such. Would love to know what it smelled like new.

But my neck does feel better.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    alpla444, Jayaruh, Halvor and 8 others like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Today the kinfolks wedge came in. 20160718_134925_resized.jpg 20160718_134939_resized.jpg
    Pretty nice, little wotk needed, but I'm pleased.

alpla444, Jim99, John Beeman and 13 others like this.
  3. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Billy Goatee likes this.
  5. Billy Goatee

Yes, All but the Crat.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Received these two early American wood-and-metal shaving brushes.
    [​IMG]

The Never-Shed is an earlier version of one that I already have and really like the shape of the handle.
    The Kambro is in less good condition but I don't see them that often.
    Both were about $10 and I also got these three brushes as 'a bonus' even though I quite frankly don't know what will end up with them; one no-name red-white that seems almost new, one Ever Ready and one Klenzo.
    I guess ideally I'll sell them for $10 one day to recoup the cost of the brushes that I wanted.
    [​IMG]

alpla444, Jim99, John Beeman and 13 others like this.
  7. Billy Goatee

I like me some early brushes.

ob1page likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The heat's getting to me and I was slap out of menthol so took a run up the road to DG. Got some Barbasol green and Aqua Velva, plus some Rexall cooling rub (pretty good menthol kick by itself, good price, too).

For you cart lovers, they're now carrying the Dorco Pace Comfort Thin II for $3 (includes 6 carts). "Yeah, so?" I hear you saying. What caught my eye is that it looked to be Atra compatible. Got it home and sure enough, it mates up fine with Gillette carts. It's one of the nicest Atra handles I've used -- not bad to look at, not totally weightless, comfortable shape and that nifty tacky rubber on the gray part. It also has a big old release button on top, a nice feature. I look forward to using it.

[​IMG]

alpla444, opsimath, Redfisher and 4 others like this.
  9. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

That's a great looking razor.

Redfisher likes this.
  10. Slow Joe

Those Never Shed brushes look fantastic.

Redfisher likes this.
  11. Slow Joe

Got this today at a second hand shop for 5kr. Which im guessing is under a dollar. It's a Danish gravy boat which tomorrow will be my new shave bowl.
    [​IMG]

alpla444, Jim99, John Beeman and 10 others like this.
  12. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

But where will you put the gravy then???

My father-in-law is from Faxe or thereabout, and if it doesn't come with sauce or gravy, it's not worth eating..

Bussemand, Redfisher and ob1page like this.
  13. Slow Joe

Haha. Being English I found it strange that people had crisps with their roast dinner. Then cover the crisps in gravy, it seemed totally bizarre, until I tasted it, then it all made sense as it's delicious.

Bussemand, ob1page and Halvor like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

This pencil in perfect shape for $1.50. Would have been nice to have the matching pen, too.

pencil.png

Also an old oak swivel office desk chair. Needs new casters but that should be fun to do.

Jayaruh, AGHisBBS, RyX and 3 others like this.
  15. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Great - Now I'm hungry for flæskesteg :drool:

Slow Joe likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Lubed the underside, dusted and wiped down everything else. Way more comfy than my old one!

chair.png

Jim99, Slow Joe, Jayaruh and 8 others like this.
  17. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I like that chair! Very nice!

Slow Joe and Robyflexx like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thanks. For $25 I couldn't pass it up.

Redfisher and Bama Samurai like this.
  19. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

:happy088:

20. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I picked up my Schick E3 today. It will either be it or the Hussy tomorrow morning.
    [​IMG]

alpla444, Jim99, John Beeman and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.