The Haul: May 2015

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

When I came in from the rain yesterday, the War Department
    had put a nasty old cardboard box on my workbench with a note.

"Cows loaded right up. No trouble un-loading either. Had time, went to farm sale."

Right under that was instructions.

"Get to cleaning"

There were several goodies, but this was #1 in line.
    An Old Type with no serial numbers.

P1020517_40pct.jpg

Sorry, I forgot the "before" pics. But you guys know what these nasty old things look like.
    I soaked the cruddy, green razor overnight in Dawn dish soap and gave it an initial scrub this morning.
    After all the loose gunk came off, it was time to start in with Arm & Hammer toothpaste (with baking soda)
    and an old GI issue tooth brush.

P1020518_40pct.jpg

(Oh my...... :ashamed001: looks like it's back to the scrub area. I missed a little of the green gunk!)
    Like most Old type razors, this one suffers from the typical cracked handle.
    But, everything is still intact, holding firm, and all teeth are present and un-bent.

P1020524_40pct.jpg

If I can find a solution for the cracked handle, I'm considering having the razor re-plated.
    I'm thinking bright nickel, maybe. :signs002:

What do you guys think?

I shaved with this razor just a little while ago, and it was just great.
    A dab of Arko on the Omega 10098 and a 2 pass near BBS shave ensued.
    Like the '47 Super Speed, I'm thinkin' on keepin' this one.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I just found an L-3 today as well. For $8, can't be beat.

Misphit, NewellVW, Darkbulb and 3 others like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My favorite fountain pen has been the Parker 21. I own a red and a green, and use them daily at work. Have wanted a blue one but never found one in workable condition, or that I could afford. On the way back home today I found this mint 21 Special pen/pencil set. Talked the proprietor down to $40. Wife said to count it as my anniversary present...will be enjoying them daily. :)

[​IMG]

NCoxSTL, ObiDon, Bobcat and 5 others like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'd love to get into pens but I fear that I'd get a case of PAD if I did.
    I'm sure there are forums out there that are are dedicated to pens as we are to wetshaving...maybe even a POTD photo thread.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've heard that leads for many mech. pencils of this era are odd sized and tough to replace today. Luckily it's full of 8 sticks. Only trick will be to find a new eraser that fits, as the original is hard as a rock.

6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

carefully punch one out of a eraser block, take the old hard one out of the metal harness, pop in the punched one.

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Excellent idea! So simple! I kept thinking about trying to find an existing one to fit.

8. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

My brother gave me these two razors yesterday. There were from a distant relative form WWI he said. I'll get better clarification of the history when I see him in a few more days again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. argus

argus enjoys hairy lady legs

Virginia Sheng 26mm finest

[​IMG]

Hefty handle, good weight. Knot is nice and dense and doesn't appear to have any flaws

10. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I just picked up my new Maggard Razors Open Comb head. They just introduced it. I have ordered another head and a MR1 handle to include in a PIF. I hated to see just the head in the box, so I ordered a jar of Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber soap to try with the AS I got from GT last week. All on deck for tomorrow!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

Just came in the mail today.[​IMG]

12. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

What a nice razor.

Bristle Me likes this.
  13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Yamamasa vintage (70's) Kamisori. They said shave ready, well it's sharp but not shave ready. Will be off to honing and I'll add a strop and we'll be up and running. The wooden bowl was ordered to hold the puck of MWF that @Bama Samurai graciously PIF'd me. It will be here Wednesday so it has a good home all waiting!

Haul May 18.jpg

14. bnccna2

bnccna2 Well-Known Member

Nice looking kamisori - good luck with it.

Slow Joe, Bama Samurai and NCoxSTL like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Thanks....I'll need it!

16. jimmy Mac

jimmy Mac Well-Known Member

Look what the postman brought today.
    CAM00634-1.jpg CAM00635-1.jpg

17. jimmy Mac

jimmy Mac Well-Known Member

I ordered them on May 8! Did not expect till next month or the next. Well I was definitely wowed. Cleaned and prepping for tomorrow's test run. My third semouge break in, I think that is the most anticipated time ..., me and a new brush.

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

One of my "to buy" brushes. Enjoy!

jimmy Mac likes this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Fantastic looking razor. The Kamisori has always intrigued me. It's the only type of razor that is even 'cooler' than a straight.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Thank you. I am extremely happy with it. Kind of tough to know exactly what you're getting with these. I spent hours staring at pictures, enlarging them, looking for problems etc. Very relieved as I think I got a really nice one. I always did want to hang with the "cool kids". Work on that straight and find yourself one of these and we'll do a focus together. The least blood shed wins!