The Haul: October 2015

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Oct 1, 2015.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Heres where you get to show off your new goodies!!
    :mail:
    :happy036:
    Pictures. We love pictures.

2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

[​IMG]

WUHOO! I already love this Mug! I'm not sure if I'm gonna use the soap just yet haha

Thank you VERY much @Queen of Blades

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  3. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Wow. Thats a really nice set.

4. Omelmad

Thank you, Im so happy with it =D I think Im gonna put my Bay rum sample in the mug and use it today

5. RaZorBurn123

Beautiful! Wet shaving royalty.

Douglas Carey and Omelmad like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice. Enjoy.

Omelmad likes this.
  7. Omelmad

I feel that too =)

Fred Hill and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. Omelmad

Thank you =) I will.

I'm not sure I'm gonna use the soap just yet =)

I want a cap for the mug, so the scent don't disappear from soaps and samples.

Fred Hill, RaZorBurn123 and Jayaruh like this.
  9. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

While there are alot of options for mugs out there, I believe the Old Spice mugs are the prefect size especially for height.

Fred Hill and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

I just ordered a new shirt yesterday and couldn't wait to show it off. I ordered it from a vender on Etsy.. Here are a couple screen shots for now, I'll post a picture of the shirt when it arrives. I got mine in charcoal grey.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fred Hill, Herm2502, ObiDon and 7 others like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Sometimes you can find a plastic lid that will fit. I just made a lid for mine from wood. It is not a perfect seal, but it allows me to stack mugs and bowls.
    old_spice_mug_1.jpg

12. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

got my first couple straights today. They are smaller than I expected. the Wostenholm is about a 5/8 and its in decent shape as far as the blade gos. The scales are ruined, chipped and cracked. The other razor will be about a 4/8 after the frown is taken out of it the scales on that one are also ruined. a melted spot on one side and they are badly warped. the blade has some rust I'll have to sand off. It says it's a Masterpiece and the other side of the tang says, C. Klauberg & Bros 173 William St. N.Y. made in Germany. I might have some decent looking razors after I get them fixed up. I'm not sure what the grind is on them but the Masterpiece is more hollow then the Wostenholm maybe half hollow and quarter hollow. maybe less hollow then that.

[​IMG]

I also got in my fiance's Razorock Plissoft brush.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. RaZorBurn123

Mark, is that the brush out of the box? Have you used it?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  14. DDuckyMark

it is the brush I got. I wasn't allowed to use it. I got it for my fiance and she was insulted when I offered to test drive it for her.

15. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

[​IMG]
    I saw this cheap Chinese safety razor in a dollar store, it was 3TL=$1 so I didn't hessitate to buy. It has a red personna blade in the package but there seems to be no markings on the razor, there are lots of Chinese writings at the back of the package and a website of manufacturer. Boğaziçi cologne has a fresh scent which reminded me lemonade :) I've tried to shave with Astor blade before and disliked it, the salesman gave this bic razor blade as a gift. Most possibly I won't shave with it soon :) I bought them for 6TL=$2

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Received a Rolls razor this week. Looks fantastic and can't wait to try it out in the weeks ahead.

First impression, as I've never seen a Rolls razor in person, is that the whole thing was smaller than I had expected for some reason.
    It all felt very solid and appeared to be of rather high quality.

The "Alligator" case looked really neat
    [​IMG]

Inside the Alligator case is the neat art deco inspired metal case and I also got a spare, also freshly honed, blade in its original bakelite case.
    [​IMG]

Everything inside the box was as the seller described - in great condition and very much 'brought back to life'. The blade even got a slight oil coating on it.
    [​IMG]

Will be great fun, I hope, to try this 'blade on stick' thing out. I'm assuming it will be quite similar to shaving with some of the French hoe razors.
    [​IMG]

The seller did a great job getting it to shave-ready state but I fear that he was a bit disappointed in it selling for $30 as he emailed me telling me I got a great deal and that he thought there might be a bit of a bidding war over it due to all the work he had done.

Here's his description of what was done (sorry for those who read it in the 'waiting for thread):
    "This is a refurbished and fully functional Rolls Razor Imperial 2 model.
    The alligator leather case is in excellent shape and includes an outer snap pouch containing a spare blade in it's own bakelite case.
    The blade itself is a 1949 model that had some discolorations that I buffed out then polished the blade which is now in pristine shape. However, the buffing removed the Rolls and Sheffield engravings from the blade which were very shallow on all Rolls blades.
    I have also hand honed and stropped this blade so it is in shave ready condition and gives a great shave.

The Rolls case itself also looks great with no rust spots. Inside you'll find a perfect intact honing stone. I've lapped the hone so the surface is flat and smooth. The strop is in near perfect condition. I've cleaned the strop and applied strop dressing so it is in excellent shape and not at all dried out.

I've cleaned and degreased the case mechanisms then recoated gears with a little Vaseline to lubricate them. I also disassembled and cleaned the friction pad assembly that holds the blade to the stropping/honing mechanism and cleaned and degreased it to so it maintains the proper friction to give you correct honing and stropping results.

Finally, the main blade is another 1949 version, but was in better original shape so I was able to polish it without removing the Rolls and Sheffield engraving. It therefore also in great shape and fully functional. Like the spare blade, I have hand honed this blade's edge and stropped it so it is shave-ready. I've set the bevel of both blades to to match that of the Rolls system.

FYI, I'm a hobbyist, not a business, which is why I've taken the time and effort to restore this fine straight razor shaving system."

17. DDuckyMark

That looks great. I like the alligator case. mine looks almost as good but I need to replace or refurbish the leather and hone or have honed the blades. I would have prefered yours to mine even though yours was twice what mine cost.

RaZorBurn123, clint64 and Darkbulb like this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

We can have a Rolls shave-off ;)

RaZorBurn123 and clint64 like this.
  19. DDuckyMark

I shaved with the sharper blade on mine yesterday and although it cut hair it did not do so comfortably. It needs work so I think I will regretfully have to decline for the time being. Maybe once it's truly shave ready.

clint64 likes this.
  20. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

The soap is no good. Send it to me for proper disposal.