The Haul: September 22nd - September 28, 2008

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by PalmettoB, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I wonder if my collection of those would be worth anything on ebay? Or maybe I should contact Guinness. :rolleyes:

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

you come first in terms of shaving gear!!!!! Your super special secret not added to the store yet stuff. Everybodys going to be jelous.

To be fair, if it were a brown recluse, I may have not had a face left to shave.

3. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Aren't recluses hairy?

Perhaps a mustache razor?

4. JayKay

on the contrary, one of the identifying features of a recluse is the lack of hair!

5. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Ahhhh!

So its a Brazilian Spider? :)

6. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Attached Files:

7. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Still see some fuzz there perhaps its time for another trip to the waxer.

How did this get taken this far?

8. JayKay

Mhmm. Thats a brown recluse. Often characterized by the "violin" on its cephalothorax and lack of hair on its legs.

What I had was one of these bad boys, but brown like the brown recluse.

** It got taken this far because you all think I'm crazy. But I know. Its you all who are crazy!

Attached Files:

9. Hi All,
    On a rare, non goofing around note, those brown recluse thingys are really nasty little spiders. They're very common in Illinois, and their bite is very bad. They have the kind of venom that eats away at the poison entry point, and skin grafts are pretty common to fix those holes. Seroiusly, they are bad.

On a lighter(?) note, my son was bitten by a black widow while living in Colorado. He was asleep and woke up to find he's just been nailed. He knew what it was too, since he'd squished the thing on his leg where the bite was.

He was about 14-15 and had to be taken to the hospital. No, it wasn't life threatening but the poor kid was really suffering from that spider bite. The doc loaded him up with morphine I believe. Hehe, I was outta town when that happened, so I didn't get to experience the full effect at the time. That's what moms are for..........

And, I have my own claim to fame with spiders. A while back, I was able to attend the world championship men and women 9 Ball matches. Lasted a whole week end, and every top player in the world competed. That was a kick seeing all that talent up close. You know, the women players were actually prettier in person than on tv, which kinda surprised me for some reason.

Oh....the spider thing......I had my picture taken with Jeanette Lee. JoAnna may not know that this woman is known as 'the Black Widow', so I should explain that. Hmmm, maybe that was a bit of a stretch tying that to the other examples.
    Ok, I am done.
    Martin

10. Misha

Misha New Member

Thanx for sharing though Martin ;)

I just got my stuff in from Connaught.

The small Large (it think its called UK) blade sampler pack.
    Time to find out what works for me! (any tips on what to start out with? I just loaded up a Derby, but I wont use it till tomorrow)
    And some TOBS shaving cream: Sandalwood (too light of a scent for my taste) and a Mr. Taylor (which I am really liking!)

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I just got my broken B&B Gregorian! :D WOOT! :happy102

12. Hi Johan,
    My son in law broke out 3-4 different blends last Christmas, and it was a kick trying that stuff. There were 4 of us, and I'm the only smoker in the group, but it's a different kinda thing than straight tobacco....especially using the pipe.
    Yeah, he lit the charcoal and who knows what else, but it was like a ceremony of sorts...heh.

Oh Jeeeeeeeez, before I forget, you know what game I really loved to play? You won't guess it, but it was Fem Kort. Yep..........I played a LOT of those two handed games, and I found it very devious. That's one reason I enjoyed that game so much. There's a lot to it, considerening it's only five cards. Oh, plus, my buddy and I tweaked the rules a bit to make it possible to double the bet in the middle of the game. His wife was Swedish, and her father taught my friend the game.

You don't play Liars Dice do you Johan? Man.......I know 4-5 really good dice and cup games.

Anyway, I'm glad I finally remembered to mention me playing that crazy game.

13. JayKay

I went over the fir bush next to my apt and took a look and found a few funnel webs and another funnel web spider. I believe they pump a person bit by a black widow full of crofab, a multipurpose antivenom. I was watching pool on TV earlier today.

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    My diagnosis; someone needs sleep. :whacky011

15. Hi there,
    I read a couple of your posts and introduction, and you are gonna do fine here. You just need to be patient, and everything will fall into place. The Derby's a good one to start with from that sample pack, and give it a few weeks or so to truly get a good feel for how it works. Than maybe a Crystal would be next, and guess what! It will probably feel different than a Derby. Try the Crystal for at least a few blades worth of shaves, then compare the two.

Both those blades are very popular, and would be considered somewhat forgiving. Then maybe the Gillette 'Swedes', or the Iridium Super. I about guarantee you'll notice a difference between those and the first two brands.

It's all about building a reference point base (hehe, actually it's trial and error), but it just can't be rushed. The results though.........well, you see how some of us have tweaked our shaves. It CAN be done, and it's worth the effort.

Hope that helps you along your shaving journey in some way,
    Martin

Oh, as far as the Feather blade: To fully appreciate how those shave, I'd wait a month or so before trying one. They may or may not be right for your face, but at least you'll know if they're not. Those blades do require a polished technique for best results, which means you can screw up with these pretty easily.

16. riffin

riffin Active Member

I think he's having a bad reaction to the crofab. :rolleyes:

17. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Either that or watching the billiard babes leaning over the table and chalking sticks.

:happy096

18. Misha

Misha New Member

Thanx Martin!

At least I know how/where to start now :D
    I tried the Derby today, but wasn't to thrilled. It was a bit too easy for me, it does not really shave close enough in my Rocket.
    Been shaving with the Gillette Super Silvers for about 5 weeks now. They seem to be much closer shaving than the Derby (w/o irritation).
    I'll wear this blade and another one out though before I start judging :)

19. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I got some 20 different blends now :D I just wish I had the time to sit down and relax :( Not much of that at the moment...

I have heard of Fem Kort, but I can't remember if I have played it... I'm terrible at card games... The dealers love me at the Black Jack table... I fund their entire paycheck ;)

20. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

I made some Taiwanese rich. This new baby laughs at my 24MB image files. Now I just have to find a way to turn off that stupid blue light without cutting off the fan (they share the same twisted cables).

[​IMG]