The Health Club

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by wristwatchb, Sep 25, 2018.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks. I actually ordered from the healthy menu tonight.

Enrico, brit, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My weakness is wine or mixed drinks though I keep it to either Friday or Saturday nights. I eat fairly well, but now I just need to get back to working out at the gym

3. brit

brit in a box

biggest change for me was going from full time mechanic to shop owner in 2013..physical work cut by 2/3, chair warming up 2/3..add the stress and whammo 300lbs..beer is no longer my best friend ..

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I should have reported my cold in here, not in 30DC. I bought my Zicam, but didn't know it was lozenges. Unwrapped the thing and 10 lozzies flew all over the place. lol. No gym tonight, and we'll see about Saturday.

wristwatchb and Frijolero like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

After a good four years away, I've gotten back on low-carb. It's been a rough couple days because I've been way out of shape...and older... but today I'm feeling very much better as my blood sugar has stabilized. Not constantly hungry anymore, now I'm only hungry when I actually need to eat. Mind and mood are clearer. I wrote down simple recipes that are both keto friendly and gluten free.

brit, wristwatchb, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I got to the range today. My shooting was pretty inaccurate bu it was still good to get the muscles going. In a bit I wil spend some time on the stationary bike.

brit, wristwatchb, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  7. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

As one who also likes wine, drier wines are said to be "Keto friendly" according to my wife. I gave up on any beer or mixed drinks, unless the mixer is a diet soda. As far as the gym goes, it is much easier if you workout with a spouse or friend. At least that has been my experience.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

8. Paul Turner

Interesting you bring up the muscles...that was one of our moves in Tai-Chi..."Shoot The Arrow". We would do it a few times on each side.

brit, Frijolero and wristwatchb like this.
  9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I went off the rails today at local mom and pop Italian restaurant with my Bride. The food was great. I had a wonderful Calzone, some hot bread, and a couple of spoonfuls of Fettuccine Alfredo. Way too many carbs and calories for sure. I haven't eaten like that for months, but I enjoyed it without any feelings of guilt. I'm back to my routine, and I figure it will take a few days to make up for today. No big deal. I'm in this for the long haul, and I plan to enjoy life.

Weight this morning was 216 lbs, down 59 lbs from July. I recently increased my calorie budget slightly in order to slow my rate of weight loss. I plan to ease toward my target weight of 205 lbs in hopes of maintaining it. I'm trying to incorporate long walks into most days for exercise. Stairs also when I can.

mrchick, Enrico, brit and 4 others like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Let me guess-after munching a Fettucini Alfredo for lunch, she enjoyed a dinner of romaine lettuce and an apple.

brit, Frijolero, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Bravo, Charlie! Down 59 pounds since July is truly an amazing feat. You deserved the wonderful food today! You are doing a marvelous job of keeping it all in perspective and serve as an inspiration to a lot of us. Way to go!

12. wristwatchb

Paul, my Bride is my role model when it comes to eating properly, Paul. She's maintained her weight in the normal range ever since we met almost 35 years ago. She enjoys good food, but always in moderation. She had a normal (light) dinner this evening. She weighs herself every week and makes small adjustments as necessary. Her back and knees wouldn't like the extra weight. Additionally, she loves being able to feel good wearing her clothes. Her Dad was the same way...she definitely inherited some good genes and a healthy metabolism.

Here's an example. She loves chocolate covered cherries, so I purchased a box containing 40 of them at Christmas. She put them in the fridge, and she eats one every now and then. She still has some left. That's amazing to me.

mrchick, brit, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  13. wristwatchb

Thanks Perry. I appreciate the encouragement. I will also need the accountability once I reach my target weight. That's where it will get really challenging for me.

14. Paul Turner

Nice report Charlie. You two appear to make a good team regarding health. Well, life too, of course.

15. wristwatchb

Thank you, Paul! That means a lot. We will do anything for each other when it comes to our health. I am indeed blessed.

We recently signed up to get a box of locally and organically grown vegetables each week beginning this spring. (http://www.rootboundfarm.com/) We did this for awhile when we worked, but we often gave a lot of it away. Now that we are retired and more focused on healthy eating, we're making a commitment to try some new and healthy foods. Each week, we will receive a newsletter with recipe ideas, etc. Pretty cool way to add some healthy variety into our diet.

Paul Turner, brit and PLAla like this.
  16. Paul Turner

I like that idea. You get the food box AND the newsletter. (Course they go in concert with one another). One veggie improvement I've made is buying unpackaged romaine lettuce(the big boys).

brit likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

The type of chocolate for the cherries is Dark, not Milk, right?

brit, lightcs1776 and wristwatchb like this.
  18. wristwatchb

You're hoping I'd say dark chocolate, but...
    1.png

brit and Paul Turner like this.
  19. Paul Turner

oooh ok..the only time I'd settle for milk chocolate now is if I need some more Dark-Chocolate Sugar-Free Jell-O, packs and the darks are gone.

brit and wristwatchb like this.
  20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I've been eating Total flakes or Wheat Chex with milk for breakfast the past few months. Switched off of my favorite Frosted Mini Wheats once I realized how much sugar those contained. Total and Wheat Chex are lower in sugar.

I'll snack on about 6-8 cashews a little before lunch. Sometimes a prune or two. I had some roasted almonds but ate those up. Again, nuts and prunes are calorie-laden so I just have a few. I count them out!

For lunch I have made a big shift that's been good. I eat in the school cafeteria each workday for lunch. Pretty good variety and it's cheap (just $3.25 for adults). I head straight to the salad bar first and I fill up the entire bottom portion of my tray with salad. Good, leafy lettuce, grape tomatoes, green and red peppers, and other items. Just depends on what they have. I'll use just a little bit of dressing. Then I'll get a few things off the hot bar, like vegetables. I'll often get a small serving of the entree. Yesterday I had a big salad with a very small serving of chicken casserole. I always grab some fruit and drink water along with it.

I'm not logging my food or counting calories at the moment, but my shift to taking up 2/3 of my plate with salad at lunch has helped a lot. I'm down a little over 10 pounds since January 2. I'd like to lose two or three more and hopefully can with a little more discipline.

Remember, you are what you eat! I think that adage is absolutely true.