The "I have just seen this movie" - thread

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by moviemaniac, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I hate getting into a series that gets cancelled in mid stride. There was an ET show on awhile back called Dark Skies or something along those lines. I got real engrossed and then it was gone after like four episodes. What kind of BS is that? Then there was a cop show back in the 90's--High Incident--Another one I kind of enjoyed that went <poof> :angry019.

:signs108.......sorry. I'll check out Millenium.

2. Unit 91

Unit 91 New Member

Not only some great movies but amazingly good reads as well. There is a third that I've yet to read.

3. Unit 91

Unit 91 New Member

I just watched Get Smart. It was not good. That is all I have to say about that.

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Narnia - Prince Caspian

Everybody keeps saying it's not as good as the first one. While that may be true, I try to see them as separate movies and as such it's quite a good fantasy-flick.

The UK DVD is great, very good image (except for very minor things), crystal-clear sound, no need for a Blu-Ray version here when you can buy the special edition DVD for around 11 quid... :D

movie: 3,5/5
    dvd-image: 4,5/5
    dvd-sound: 4,5/5 (would be 5/5 if DTS-sound were on the disc)
    specials: not yet rated

overall: recommended

5. riffin

riffin Active Member

Yeah, they mentioned a trilogy in the in one of the documentaries. I wondered if they combined the last two stories or if the third was never going to be made. I hope it does come out. I see this as what the Matrix trilogy promised in the first movie. Ah, well...

6. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I watched Rise of the Footsoldier last night on DVD. Wow, pretty good British gangster tale based on a true story. I'm not going to say it was brilliant because the movie changed course in the middle which you don't really get until the end and you realize they got away from the main character. Also be prepared for a lot of blood.

This is a narration style movie about a hooligan turned gangster name Carlton Leach in Essex, UK. It chronicled his life from football hooligan, to enforcer, to small time drug peddler, to bigger time drug peddler. And then the movie changed gears and got more into the exploits and eventual murder of three of his associates. The story veered away from Leach at that point and he became mostly a secondary character. Since this movie is based on a book he wrote I find that somewhat odd, but I suppose he was chronicling the events of his life and losing his friends was a major event. From the movie you get the idea all of England followed the investigation. You also get the idea through the 80's and 90's things were just flat out of control across the pond.

I enjoy watching British films. They are a nice change of pace from Hollywood, are usually smartly written and it's nice to see another perspective up on the screen every now and then. I'd give this movie a solid B and recommend you check it out.

7. Padron

Padron Active Member

We recently watched:

Wanted - 3/5
    Mildly entertaining and a lot of action, stupid storyline though, hehe

X-Files....I want to believe - 2/5
    Slow and didn't pick up where the first movie left off years ago, another weak storyline......

8. Unit 91

Unit 91 New Member

If I remember correctly the story from the third book was completely left out of the second movie.

9. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I watched Get Smart. It was OK. Also watched animated Titan A.E. good animation movie.

10. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Titan A.E. was rather good as far as I remember. I rented the "new" Hulk movie the other day but I couldn't stand watching it through to the end! Not better than Ang Lee's version, not really worse either.

11. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

If....

I just love these English classics - great movie!

4,5/5

12. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

I just watched the movie Wall Street (for class) it was interesting. Not really my thing but it wasn't a bad movie. I wouldn't rent it again but if I was watching TV and happened to come across it I'd watch it again. I'd say 3/5

13. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Which one? The one from 1916, 1929 or 1987?

14. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

15. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Ah, that one. 3,5/5 seems about right to me :D

16. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

honestly my biggest problem was Dr. Cox was very distracting...

17. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I don't remember. It's been years since I saw that one, I only remember that it was just "okay" :D

18. Unit 91

Unit 91 New Member

King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

4.765 stars (of 5)

Really good. I'd suggest anyone watch it. Even if you don't care for video games.

19. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Lucky # Slevin

Bloody brilliant. The focus being on both words :D

4,5/5

20. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I'll second that. Josh Hartnet has turned out to be mostly a dud, but he does good work in this flick. Plus which you get Lucy Lieu. There can never be too much of Lucy Lieu.