The "I have just seen this movie" - thread

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by moviemaniac, Dec 2, 2008.

1. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Schindlers List: 5/5
    Saving Private James Ryan: 4/5
    Black Hawk Down: 4/5
    The Pianist: 5/5
    Apocalypse Now Redux: 4,5/5
    Inside Man: 4/5
    Heat: 4,5/5

2. JimR

JimR Active Member

...Oh. My. God.

Do it. NOW.

Man, between Deadwood, BSG and The Sopranos, I'm convinced that 2000-20010 is the best decade TV will EVER see.

Oh, and you're totally right about the German dubs. Dubs in general are bad, but honestly, the German ones were ridiculous. Worse, though, are the Polish/Russian ones.

What they do is, turn the original soundtrack down way low, and record ONE PERSON reading the script in (insert Eastern European Language here) over the top. In a complete monotone.
    Words just can't do them justice...Insane.

As for movies I just watched....Well, The Dark Knight (Again--got the DVD for Xmas). Loved it again. Fantastic movie, in general. 4.5/5

...Crap, that's all. I've got to get out more...

3. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

Gran Torino 4.5/5
    Quantam of Solace 4/5

4. bravefish

bravefish Member

The Namesake
    4/5

5. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Quarantine

Checked out Quarantine on DVD last night. Save your time on this stinker folks. Every frame was ripped off from other movies, most of whom did it better. Let's see off the top of my head they stole ideas from:

Blair Witch Project
    Cloverfield
    28 Days (& Weeks) Later
    All of Romero's zombie flicks
    Silence of the Lambs
    The Stand
    12 Monkeys

I didn't see one original idea in the whole damn thing. :mad: And the last scene of the film was so predictable you cringed when they tried to "frighten" you out of the theater.

Tonight it's Body of Lies w/ DiCaprio and Crowe. It should be much better. (I hope)

6. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I just saw

Definitely, Maybe

Cute love story...and I would definitely recommend it....maybe.....GET IT!!

Seriously...good movie.

7. mhdagley

mhdagley Member

The Watchmen 4.5-5

8. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Shoulda added this HERE .................;)

Saw Slumdog Millionaire last weekend and, altho some scenes were hard to watch, I would definitely recommend this one.

9. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Cadillac Records

This is one good flick folks. Kind of the story the precedes Rock n Roll. Covering artists like Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Etta James, Chuck Berry etc. as they all got their start at Chess Records in Chicago. Good music, good story, good acting, fantastic singing. Beyonce will take your breath away as she croons heartache. Adrien Brody is one fine actor who should make more movies. Just an all around excellent film. Get it and watch it.

And if you're into this kind of movie one of the networks did a 4 hr. mini series several years ago that you can get on DVD: The Temptations. A great watch just for the music.

10. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Watchmen
    Coraline 3D

11. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Milk > 3.5
    Before the Devil Knows Your Dead > 4; Marissa Tomei nude > 10!

12. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I saw Taken recently. It stars Liam Neeson as a former CIA agent who is trying to rebuild a relationship with his daughter after not being around while she was growing up. The story is about the daughter being kidnapped while in Paris, and her father trying to rescue her.

The movie is over and it's like nothing happened. It finishes without making any effect on you. Everything is too clean, too orderly. I won't spoil it but I felt that there were so many parts that could've been expanded. I watch a lot of mystery films so perhaps I'm more critical than the average moviegoer. One simple thing: the audio effects and music were poorly produced. There isn't enough suspense and drama built with the music. You can barely notice a score. Then with about 15 minutes left in the film, this huge barrage of music comes thundering in, completely out of tune with the rest of the movie.

I give this film 2 stars out of 5.

13. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Just watched "No Country For Old Men" for the 8th time.

5/5

That has to be one of the top five guy movies ever made. What's not to like? Plenty of blood (trails) and violence, the thrill and terror of the hunt, a sawed off silenced shotgun, some of the best cinematography and film work since John Ford, and not a whole lot of sappy dialogue. Just perfect.

14. desmoface

desmoface Active Member

15. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

The mrs and I belong to blockbuster online, same as netflix just a compeitior. So we see a lot of movies:

Transporter 3 - jonathan stratham
    My Best Firend's Girl Friend - Dane Cook, Jason Biggs

Coming up

Nany Insanity
    Punisher 2 War Zone
    The Deal
    The Invisible
    Flash Point
    The Women
    Doomsday
    City of Embers
    Dynamite Warrior
    Internet dating
    Red Line

16. Kratos

Kratos New Member

That's Jason Statham goodsir! I must say I was disappointed in both of the Transporter sequels. The first one had the right balance of over-the-top and believability. The next two just seemed absurd at times. We just watched The Last House on the Left. Had one disturbingly graphic scene, the rest was pretty standard violence.

17. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I just saw this for the first time last week...........
    Great, just great.
    Except the ending. Hated it. I was ANGRY when it was over.
    I'll probably watch it again.

18. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

You know, I thought that the first time I saw it, but then I got to thinking and I don't know how else it could end. I hate Hollywood happy endings, life just ain't that way.

"what's the most you've ever lost in a coin toss?" Talk about being on the spot!

"Would you hold still, please, sir?"

19. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Great quotes. I'm with you there on the endings. "No we don't magically defeat the aliens, we get slaughtered or subjugated!"

20. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

rented some movies over the weekend: Sharks in Venice and Transporter 3.
    I'm horrible at giving reviews, but:

Transporter 3
    How did I miss that there was a third one? Great movie, I liked it better than the first two. It just barely passes the original in my book, it may be because I haven't seen it in a loooong time, though too.
    If you liked 1 & 2, you'll like this one.
    5,000/5 ass-kicks

Sharks in Venice
    Okay, you already know I'm a shark geek...if there's a movie with sharks I know about, I'm gonna watch it, no matter how terrible I can tell it is just from the case. I wasn't wrong with this one. If you can just sit back and enjoy the general idea of crapfest movies, you may be entertained for a viewing of this. Otherwise, watch Transporter 3 again.
    I did enjoy the cheesy acting and plot, but it's definitely a one-time watch, kinda like the Shark Attack movies, but with Stephen Baldwin.
    1.5/5 teeth