The "I have just seen this movie" - thread

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by moviemaniac, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I've caught a few DVD's since last posting here. Of note is The Town. Ben Afleck (sp?) has really been coming along the last few years. He's done some good work in front of and behind the camera. He does both in this film. A pretty tense thriller, well acted, great chase scene and wonderful cinematography of Boston. Jeremy Renner has a supporting role. I'm looking forward to his future work. He's been pretty impressive in the few roles I've seen him in lately.

We also saw Devil the other night. It got mixed reviews and M. Night has pretty much tanked the last several films, but I rather liked this one. Well acted. Lots of tension and foreboding. Quick pacing even though nearly the whole thing takes place in one setting. Not everyone will like this but worth a rental just to check it out. Supposedly this is the first of three thriller/horror movies M. Night will produce using young directors. Looking forward to the next one.

On Netflix streaming I've been checking out Nip/Tuck. They have all 6 seasons up, and I'm only part way through season 1. It's definitely nothing but an eye candy, adult soap opera but it's well acted and the stories are pretty decent so far. Lot's of sex and mature topics so be advised. Junk food for the mind, but I'm into it.

2. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Just saw Avatar again on BluRay. Gotta love that movie. I'm anxious to see what they do with the 2nd and 3rd variations of the movie, set to come out in 2014.

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Despicable Me on blu-ray. Really good animated flick. Definitely worth the rental.

4. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

I've got a free voucher for Vudu and have been thinking about watching this...I've heard it's a great movie

5. battle.munky

If you have kids it would be a definate recommendation. Its good either way though.

Also saw Hot Tub Time Machine and it wasn't as bad as the name suggests.

6. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

I don't have kids but I appreciate a good animated flick

7. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

The little ones in my house liked Despicable Me as well. I have not seen it yet.

Just caught Red the other night. A decent popcorn flick. Good action and humor. Not a terrible story line. Plenty of good actors. I think this was kind of their "inside joke, goof off, just for the heck of it" flick much like Oceans 11 was for its cast. I enjoyed watching.

8. battle.munky

Just watched Exam, not too bad, worth the rental/Netflix queue add.

9. battle.munky

Oh, and I watched The Big Lebowski last week too, always a good watch.

It really tied the room together. :happy102

10. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

11. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Just yesterday we watched "The Green Hornet" at the Theatre. Boy, what a laugh we've had. :happy102
    Don't watch it if you are expect great genius-level acting or dialogues. But a great "switch off brain and enjoy popcorn' flick!

12. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Wife and I recently discovered the movie theater in our little burg is a hidden gem. Cheap matinees and no crowds. Frankly I don't know how they stay in business...probably subsidized by the national chain or something. Anyway we've taken to seeing a few flicks lately and this thread hasn't seen any action for awhile so here goes:

Rise of the Apes: A decent reboot of the series and certainly better than the Wahlberg attempt a few years back. Franco offers up a very wooden performance so that detracts from this one a bit. Still the effects are alright and the apes look good. The action doesn't really heat up until the final act though so be prepared to fidget a little. This movie is a total set up for sequels which as far as I know are green lit based on the box office success of part 1.

Cowboys and Aliens: Didn't do so good at the box office according to various websites, but I thought it was a pretty good action adventure flick. Look, the title tells you exactly what you're getting into so there should be no surprise going in. Action was well paced, story moved along, effects are good, final fight scene is appropriately over the top. The only downside to me was Harrison Ford is miscast in the bad guy with a heart role; they don't know whether to make him a heavy or loveable. Didn't really work but it's a small error. For pure movie enjoyment I was actually more entertained in this than the Apes.

DVD/The Adjustment Bureau: A sleeper at the box office I think but it did make a lot of money so was a success. I really like Matt Damon so most of what he does I enjoy. This is a sweet little love story with some supernatural thrown in. Kind of asks the question what is fate and can we alter ours? Lots of gorgeous camera work in New York if you're a fan of the Big Apple. Definitely worth the rental if you didn't see it.

DVD/Source Code: Meh. It won't be long into the film before you figure out the "twist" and then the relive-the-eight-seconds thing gets old (you'll understand if you watch...I'm not going into detail here). This is one of those see it and forget it movies and hopefully you didn't pay big at the theater. Worth a rental to kill some time.

Netflix Streaming/Star Trek Enterprise: I've never considered myself a Trekkie, but I have enjoyed parts of the franchise off and on. Which is why even though I knew about this series I never watched it. I am not a fan of The Next Generation, and I figured this would just be more of the same. Not so. I really got into it and ended up being sad it only ran four seasons. Basically in the Star Trek universe this would be where it all began; a prequel to the original 1960's series if you will. The technology is in it's infancy as is human exploration of space. The Vulcans are new to humanity and are by no means the staunch allies they later become. What made this series good to me is they avoided a lot of camp and wrote good stories...some of them very dark and controversial subject matter. Many times I found myself admiring the writers for taking chances and kind of surprised some episodes were allowed to air. It seems like the series was just finding its stride when it was cancelled. I suppose that means most folks would disagree with my opinions since no one was watching apparently. You've definitely got to be a sci fi fan to enjoy it so if that's not your thing, move on. All the other Star Trek series are also available on Netflix with Deep Space Nine coming in Oct. I'm sporadically watching Voyager now, but it's not as good as Enterprise.

Whew...long winded. Gotta bump this thread more often.

13. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

I've been on a bit of a Korean Flick Kick lately, there's some extremely good movies coming out of that country (although most of them are not for the faint of heart/stomach). This last title though is easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's called Oldboy, about a man who gets imprisoned for 15 years, has no idea why, and is released (again with no idea why) with the sole objective of finding out why he was kept captive for all those years. The acting is terrific, the story is phenomenal, and the fight scenes are real, visceral...it's really an incredible movie. I won't say any more about it in case someone wants to watch it. It's available on Netflix for anyone who's interested, HOWEVER the only version available instantly is the english dubbed version which is horrible (they always are), I HIGHLY recommend you rent it in the original language with subtitled.