The I*V Collection

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Joewa, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

I*V 13 the Tourist trap refuge. We were recently at tourist trap rock shop in moab and I was inspired some cholla cactus wood they were selling. it turned out the $5 for the wood was the cheap part of the operation.. I also acquired a vacuum chamber and cactus jack wood stabilizer to stablize the stock.. the wood has been filled with fimo clay the goal was to make something like a barber pole... didn't quite work but was a good experiment for future brushes.

Wood: stablaized cholla cactus inflled with fimo clay
    Knot: AP shaving co 24 MM MIXED Finest Badger/Boar Knot
    Total height: 120 mm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ijustmissedthe50s and Redrock like this.
  2. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

I*V 14 the Desert Alien
    More of the tourist trap rock shop refuges... this time with Alien ooze.
    Wood: stablaized cholla cactus infilled with fimo clay
    Knot: AP shaving co 24 Sinbad (let me know if any one has a source for a green knot)
    Total height: 120 mm

[​IMG]

3. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

Its been a while since I 11 brushes behind.. skipping ahead ahead and will back fill later
    I*V 22 the surprising drifter. aka the Owl/Raven

In the process of making this brush everything seemed wrong. the wood seemed very unremarkable. I managed to blow through it with a forstner bit , the vision make me round off the bottom to make it look like an owl giving it stand. I was sure it was destined for the "failed handle" box , and then with a trip into the wood stabilizer it all came together..

1) the handle much heaver giving it a soild feel in the hand and the ability to "rest" on its knot
    2) it became sandable which exposed some amazing figure hidden within.

This is one of my favorite brushes to date due to the woods amazing figure and the unique shape and feel of the handle.

Wood: Unknown driftwood
    Knot: AP shaving co 22 Sinbad.

Owl

[​IMG]

Hawk

[​IMG]

The figure

[​IMG]

Crow

[​IMG]

on its stand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Reposing the figure since it did not turn out in the original post.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Enrico and brit like this.
  5. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Joewa, you are putting out some good work. I've wondered about "carving" a brush from time to time but didn't know if it could be done to the point it would look right. But you, my friend, have inspired me to go ahead and try it. Did you use a drill press to form the hole for the knot?

6. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

Yes I use my drill press with 22 or 24 mm forstner bit you probably could get away with a 1" bit in place of a 24 mm. I learned after a blowouts always drill the hole early in the process.

S Barnhardt likes this.