The Incredible Shrinking Den

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 27, 2016.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

My den seems to have a strange ability or power. Every time my adult (19) son visits things become invisible. The last time he was here a stainless handle and a Super Adjustable shimmered away into the ether. The time before that it was a razor and brush stand. This time it was a Marvy mug, a bunch of DE blades and a tub of soap.

My son says he isn't all that interested in shaving stuff, so I know it can't be him taking it. I'm glad to see he's taking an interest.

Anyone else's den seem to demonstrate this ability?

*** Edited because I didn't want it to seem like I was unhappy about it as opposed to he and I enjoying the hobby together.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    Shaver X, wristwatchb, IDuck and 4 others like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I like giving stuff to my adult sons.

Yesterday I gave a whole set-up to a man who came to ask for my daughter's hand.

Yoday I'm gonna hook-up a young man dating (year or better) one of my granddaughters.

If I thought theft was involved, I'd be upset. But hooking-up the males (or female) members with shaving stuff, is my pleasure.

Shaver X, wristwatchb, RyX and 5 others like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

Oh no, I didn't mean it to sound like I was upset at all, in fact the opposite. (I should edit to add some smiley's or something.) I am glad he is enjoying shaving now, and he sure looks better now that he is always clean shaven. Plus it is kind of fun to have someone to BS with about it whose eyes don't glaze over when you start talking. (My wife. ). You know he is getting hooked on it, he has started shaving his head instead of clipping it, and carries a brush and soap and a DE around with him, even on a weekend at mom and dad's.

wristwatchb, RyX, Screwtape and 4 others like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

Congrats on the upcoming nuptuals!

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My son doesn't remove items from my den, but rather gets into my more pricey AS/Colognes. Creed, Ford, etc. He likes to smell good!

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

My son comes around and hints at things. So I give him enough blades to keep his Gillette Fat Boy happy, for a few months at a time. E already has a brush and some Cella, so when the Cella runs low, he will hint at him needing more.
    I just gave away 30 various premium blades to a friend I got started on DE shaving about a year ago. He went back to Carts, because he thinks they were easier. Now he is wanting to devote all shaves to DE razors, and ditch the carts for good. I didn't ask him why, but I know it's not a money thing.

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I passed a Schick Golden 500 to my youngest son on my holiday travels. When I get home I have 7 - 7 blade Chicks to unwrap. He'll be getting a pack, and the website to order more - Walgreens.com.
    Along with the blades I'll be shipping, some soap samples and a brush. I'm hoping he's converted, as he does seem interested.

wristwatchb and PickledNorthern like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

The 500 is a super cool razor. If you are going to get him hooked, that seems like a good one to start with.

RyX likes this.
  9. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Heck, i have two boys (ages 7 and 9), and they already have brushes and razors...though they "practice shave" with no razor blades

10. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I'm fortunate in that my boy lives 135 miles away. But when I gave my middle grandson a case full of razors, he wasn't shy about trying them out. Which is a good thing...he does have an appreciation for things from the past. I think he's found the Heavy post-war Tech to his liking, too.

wristwatchb and PickledNorthern like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's pretty cool. Can't get my boys interested.

PickledNorthern and wristwatchb like this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

It's a blast to shrink your den.

I work with a friend who is beginning to enjoy traditional wet shaving. His 15-year-old son, an Eagle Scout and a really fine young man, is starting to use a DE as well. My buddy planned to get him an EJ89. I had a "spare" Slim and a couple of Techs. The young man now has his own cased Slim, and father/son have Techs. I have no doubt that both father and son will find some way to "pay this forward" in some way.

PickledNorthern and RyX like this.
  13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I got the second hook-up done.
    I gave Bryce a
    Gillette super adjustable
    FS synthetic brush
    Astra sp blades
    Roue 66 A Perfect Storm

He left excited and with some instruction.

PickledNorthern and wristwatchb like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

You sure got him started with good kit.

15. PickledNorthern

I started my son out with a Rockwell 6S, a Razorock Plissoft, Nacet and Polsilver blades and a couple of creams. I gave him this kit when he moved out of the dorms and into an apartment where it was a little easier for him to set up. More recently I gave him a Super Adjustable and a tub of Stirling. He has expressed some interest in a natural brush, so I will likely set him up when he comes home for Christmas break.