The Irisch Moos Round-Up Thread

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Shep, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Its quite nice!
    The scent may not win any awards, but I kind of like it. It isn't for everyone, but scents are pretty much always subjective.
    The soap, on the other hand, is really top notch. It performs very well.

2. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

This really is a nice soap. The scent was very strong to me at first, and just smelling the stick made me think of a generic bath soap fragrance. However, after trying this a couple of times now, I am really warming up to it. The lather is great, and the scent does change a bit with lathering, so I find it has a very pleasant, warm scent when smeared all over my face!

I'm working on writing up my formal review of the soap - I want to get one more good shave in before I do. I'm trying a couple variations of setups with it to see how it does in each.

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have no idea why it is taking so long, but I think it is entirely out of WCS hands. John is a stand up guy. I don't know if they just ordered more than the vendor had in stock and they are having a hard time getting that many in or what is going on, but I don't think WCS is to blame. Real bummer of a situation, I am glad my name isn't on it.

4. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Yeah, this was discussed on another thread awhile back. John just let his store be used as the go between for that bulk order. Bet he wishes he never agreed to that now. I've always had great service and low shipping prices from him. I like WCS.

I should state that I have no idea what the details are of that group IM buy nor what the reason is for taking so long. Just agreeing w/ Rodd about WCS.

5. JimR

JimR Active Member

I personally found the scent lovely. Like a softer Tabac with some green notes on top. I'm really taken with this one, thanks for letting me in on it Zen!

6. :D

My pleasure, Jim!

7. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I think now might be a really good time to voice our appreciation to two great guys - ZenMaster and Mark at Superlather. Not too long ago, we all thought that the opportunity to try IM was beyond our grasp, or that any attempts made would meet the same fate of the WCS/B&B fiasco (I understand customs and the supplier have made that a nightmare).

Zen and Mark stepped up and now we have this wonderful soap in our possession, in really no time at all! Thanks you two for putting all of this together. If anybody is on the fence about picking up some of this from Superlather.com, I say go for it! Great soap, you won't be disappointed, and a great way to show our appreciation for the efforts of guys like these two to help feed our over-sized addictions!!!!!

8. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I completely agree. I do not blame WCS or John for it b/c I have only had better than phenomenal service from him. When I got my B&BE he actually refunded the shipping overage! That is customer service! I just think that the party involved acquiring it and shipping it are up to something. Its amazing that DutchShaveshop got it immediately and even superlather got it very fast. Oh well.....If I dont receive it by Labor Day I will just order a stick.

9. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

Posted mine. Thanks Zen!

J

10. Now that I've had ample time for the novelty to wear off, its still just as awesome.

At this point I can say that Irisch Moos is my favorite shaving soap, bar none. The best that I, personally, have ever tried. It sets a very high bar for everything else that's out there. Every time I use it, I can't help but say "Wow.", because its better than I remembered. I know that not everyone is gushing over this soap as a few of us here are... someone did return a stick to me because the scent wasn't right for him, but I just love it.

I may slice the returned stick into samples, or I may mill it into the rest of my personal stash. I haven't decided yet.

11. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

Those of you that have now been using IM for a few weeks now, have you noticed the scent change a little? I just received mine yesterday and shaved with it this morning. The shave was top notch but the scent was just okay. Actually, I was a little put off. I hated Tabac at first but after a few weeks of use it became a very pleasant scent. Is this the case with IM?

12. riffin

riffin Active Member

I found the scent of IM pretty light, and to my nose, enjoyable. I was not fond of the Tabac scent, but the shave was SO good it quickly became a favorite. Plus it didn't last past the shave for very long so it didn't bother me during the day.

I've been using IM for a couple of weeks now. But before I got it, I realized the scent of Tabac didn't bother so much. In fact I was starting to enjoy it. I don't think it the scent that changed. I think I enjoy this soap so much that I'm experiencing a case of "like-by-association" with respect to the scent.

I haven't used the Tabac in that time. It'll be interesting to see what I think of it the next time I use it.

13. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I personally haven't noticed the scent changing dramatically for me. I've used it 4 or 5 times now.

14. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I haven't noticed much of a scent change either. Still a kind of detergent/soapy scent w/ a hint of plant life thrown in. Not at all unpleasant. Shaves like the dickens. A great soap offering superior shaves. More than happy I made this purchase.

15. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Can't wait to try mine out tomorrow....I also got a sample of the A/S, so I'll see how that goes, too. :D I'm giddy like a little kid on Xmas Eve!

16. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I am now kicking myself for not ordering it while it was still in. I went to order it today and it was out of stock. Oh well, I should wait til after next paycheck anyway.

17. Same here.

I've used Tabac exactly once since I got IM. I've used IM probably about 10 times and I feel bad about ignoring the Tabac, but every time I pick it up I think to myself... well, maybe next time since I have the IM.

But there's never a next time. In fact, every soap I've got has been ignored since I got IM.

18. Mordecai

Mordecai New Member

Must.....resist......AD.......you people aren't helping!! :mad:

19. riffin

riffin Active Member

My Tabac is a cake. Of course the IM is a stick. I seem to be in a hurry these days in the morning (or at least that what I tell myself), so I face lather. Much easier with a stick. That's my story and I'm stickin' with it.

I might have to order a stick of Tabac. That is, if I can't get IM.

In all seriousness, to me Tabac and IM are the same. I like the scent of IM a bit better. If both are available, I'll get IM, but the difference is negligible.

I had a reserve in with Mark, but I was slow on the uptake. so I missed. I wanted to sample a bunch of other stuff. Well, he says he'll get it back, I know he will!

20. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Wow, that is good stuff! Finally, I believe all the hype is worth all the hype.

I think I like this better than Tabac.

The A/S is nice, too. To me it's like A/V - NOT IN SCENT!!! - and without the methol cooling. It burns a little when applying, but that goes away quickly. Also, a little tacky initially but even that soaked in, in a matter of seconds. A quick rinse of the hands and all was good. The skin care is very, very nice. Maybe it has glycerine in it like A/V? The scent is very similar to the stick, but not the quite the same. After it settles in (and I'm still catching whiffs of it every so often, even 4 hours later) it smells (to me) very familiar - a scent I can't quite place right now, but something that may have been popular with grandfatherly types in the late 60's/ early 70's? (I'm seeing snapshots of old men with gray fuzzy sideburns in polyester pants, plaid polyester shirts (or bowling shirts) and tweed Fedora hats...:confused:)I don't think it's Brut or Skin Bracer (although I haven't smelled them in a while), but it reminds me of something like that... I will definitely pick up a bottle of the A/S, hands down.

I think I may mill the stick into a bowl.... If they ever market it in a bowl like they do Tabac, I'm going to get that, too.

Is there somewhere else I should have posted this???