The Kraken 248 - slant bar razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very interesting. I keep telling myself that I do not need another razor.

Carbide Mike and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Lol I said that 14 razors ago..

Carbide Mike and Jayaruh like this.
  3. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

I fail to see the slant.

4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I might get one.... If they can "print" one in stainless! :happy102:

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

But wouldn't it have been better to have the screw encased in the head, like the washer in the 222 model, similar to other three piece razors to make it easier to use. And the Kraken name to me just doesn't fit the razor as the Kraken was supposedly a huge and powerful creature, this is a lightweight. But, maybe it does shave well, I don't know and I won't find out because it's not for me and most all DE shavers insist on letting the weight of the razor do the work, this might take some pressure to use. I do think the 222 has better potential, it does look better and maybe that's the one that should have been called the Kraken. But I think it would've been better as a solid handle, maybe even with a solid metal rod through the middle, even threaded for the head to attach to, for a heavier razor. This is all just my opinion, nothing else.

6. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I heard Dollar General doesn't even want it .

7. Star

Star Active Member

Someone smarter than me should get one of these printers and come up with a TSD razor!

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    1. Never rely on a printed item to be strong.
    2. Threads made of printed layers tend to have one direction that has teeth, which will cause galling (sticking). The threads would have to be huge, 6 threads per inch, the fatter the better, and the nut should fit loosely. Like a baby's rattle.

3D printing threads is a long way off, still.

9. Star

Star Active Member

Just out of curiosity could you elaborate a little on your first point? Do you mean that printed items lack strength because of the manufacturing process (the "printing") or the materials used?

10. Star

Star Active Member

What about using some kind of tension bar rather than threads? Imagine the post in the picture bring tapered down to a bar which bends itself past the circumference of the post ending with a sort of tab. The tab could fit into a drilled slot in the side of the handle and hold itself in place through tension. You would pressed down on the head until the tab snapped into the hole in the handle. To remove you would depress the tab. I'm thinking something along the lines of this:
    [​IMG]

11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Under no circumstances should you rely on the strength of the thread to hold more than the bolt's own weight. Testing to failure should still not improve your sense of security about any printed part, no matter how many times you test. Each and every part is independent in terms of quality of manufacture from each and every other like part. These are not parts of an engineering quality and consistency, nor are they sold as such by Shapeways. Use these parts for design and prototyping only. Never, never, NEVER trust a printed part for strength.

Edit: this mostly applies to steel 3D printed parts.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    brit and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Knife threads work fine in plastic .

Bama Samurai likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    We're talking about 3D printing threads, not cutting threads. Were you also talking about 3D printed threads?

brit and Bama Samurai like this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

But there is one razor that is plastic and has a threaded top, the Wilkinson Sword Classic.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. Star

Star Active Member

Wasn't trying to stir up any debate here by the way just didn't want to point out a flaw without trying to offer ideas.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Knife threads were a hint for a insert.:love029:.

Bama Samurai and twhite like this.
  17. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That is a terrible name for a shaving company.
    The logo is even worse. You are not selling dog grooming products, even though the name was inspired by your dog.

If you are going to keep the name, commit to it. Find a tattoo artist. Ask that person to draw you a bearded lady pinup. Use that as your logo.

Next, take a look at Pheonix Artisan Accoutrements's (a terrible name also, but proof that a bad name won't ruin a company) plastic razors. Use the aforementioned knife threaded brass screw inserts. 10/32 threads. Or use hot pressed inserts.

Best of luck on your next campaign.

Edit: I apologize if I come across as harsh. I do like the skeletonized look of the razor head.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    brit likes this.