The Minimalist Brush Stand

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by MadCapsule, Oct 23, 2009.

1. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

I haven't checked this thread in a while! I'm glad I helped spark some ideas in others!

Nice work there, munky. I might have to use your suggestion of using a washer/magnet combo on my Semogue as opposed to drilling it for a magnet. I'm still not sure I can bring myself to alter the appearance of it, though!

2. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

nice twist

I saw something similar somewhere I think the guy made the brushes and a cheap metal stand out of metal and what looked like a washer for a base. this is much better. I think Ill try it with mine.

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I have never wanted a brush more than after I read your post about your Semogue so I don't blame you in not wanting to alter it.

4. I'll be implementing The Minimalist Solution myself; however, I don't have any rare earth magnets lying around. Fortunately I do have the interwebs. They helped me find the website of K&J Magnetics, where I just bought two hundred tiny little magnets for $15.00.

I weighed each of my brushes on a digital scale; wooden handled brushes were about 3 ounces (0.2 pounds) and my big Chrome Handled Monster weighed in at a whopping 6.7 ounces (0.4 pounds) So I wanted magnets with a "pull" around 0.3 pounds to 0.7 pounds.

I bought 100 of these for $3.00; their rated pull is 0.32 pounds: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZD4

I also bought 100 of these for $12.00; they use KickAss (TM) metallurgy, giving a rated pull of 0.75 pounds: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D31

I cannot possibly use all of them, of course; would be glad to swap a couple dozen of them for (a Mai Tai at the Palo Alto Trader Vic's) + (pleasant conversation on TSD topics). But not by mail; the postage is more costly than the magnets themselves! In the very unlikely event you are (a) near Palo Alto; (b) wanting some free magnets; (c) willing to pop for a TV MaiTai, send PM.

5. Prototype

I made a prototype out of inexpensive stock (oak rails, walnut dowels) to horse around with and see whether I like the magnetic stand idea. If so I'll probably make another one using fancier hardwood.

Neodymium magnets on the brushes, iron bar stock (purchased at Lowes) glued to the underside of the top rail, 2nd photo.

Attached Files:

6. geneaut

geneaut Member

Very nice !

7. tking308

tking308 New Member

I LOVE the magnet idea. transistordude, I'm stealing your idea.

8. geneaut

geneaut Member

Just completed this with my new Tweezerman, and my old VDH boar. Thanks for the kewl idea.

9. geogaga

geogaga Member

So obvious... Thank for the tip :)

10. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

I think it's a great idea and I love minimalist anything. Make it simple and practical for me... that's about the only way I can keep up.:happy102

11. geneaut

geneaut Member

I had to take a picture of my setup. I have another VDH Boar brush to add a magnet in the handle and I will have the whole collection. Thanks for the ideas.

[​IMG]

Anybody tried anything similar for a razor yet ?

12. geogaga

geogaga Member

I'd think you'll need a much-much stronger magnet for the razor like HD. Thinking of the contact area, it must be larger than for the brushes comparing to the weight of hefty razors. Since you're using your shelf to hang the brushes. Maybe you would wish make some simple multi-S-type hangers (\_/-\_/-\_/) like these that serving as glas holders at the bars, and screw or glue them to the bottom of the shelf. Just my thoughts, not really backed up with experience :) I personally would go with hangers. It's always a big risk of someone can just catch your hanging shaving treasures walking by. It's always annoying to see first scratches or dents :(

13. TimV

TimV Member

Thanks for the great ideas, now I just have to build a shelf.

14. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

Your homemade brush stands turned out better than my first (and last) homemade effort:
    [​IMG]

15. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Awesome idea!

I have an inventory of rare-earth magnets in my shop..

Curious why you didn't just drill the bottom of the shelf above yours and insert the mating magnet to the underside of the shelf?

I have lots of options for mine.. It's an enclosed case with a glass front door and two shelves. I usually leave the door open a crack when leave in the AM just to have a bit of air circulation, but I might use your idea and mount the brushes on the underside of the case, outside of the enclosure.

I am also working on an idea for the razors.. The shelf height is is about ten inches, so there is a lot of dead, unused space when the razors are on lying on the shelf. I am going to use some 1/4" lexan an mill slots to slide the razors in, and mount this against the back wall of the cabinet..out of the way of fingers and knuckles..

I'll post pics as I make progress!

16. LowellB

LowellB Member

That is a very clever use of magnets. Makes good use of unusable space under the cabinet.

17. Nikko

Nikko New Member

Wow great thread - I had been thinking how the heck I was going to hold the new brush I'd ordered and this is so it.

For those chasing magnets I can highly recommend this site, Deal Extreme....very well regarded operation out of HKG and they stock a massive array of handy stuff with all pricing inclusive of postage. All prices are in USD.

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them through the years and they're very good - the kinda stuff you'd pay $20 or so locally you can get from them for a few dollars.

Here's a few magnets, I already have myself and they're great! As a newbie I can't post links so here's the best I can do:

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.1105~search.magnet

Great idea by the OP, well done.

18. AmishFury

AmishFury New Member

when it works it works

i just went with a quick wire hanger stand for my VDH... tried making a brush/razor combo stand but it was too wobbly so i ended up making a separate stand for the razor that i don't even use

19. Slowhand

Slowhand Member

Would someone know if this would work with my Vulfix 2234? I guess that's an imitation bone handle...or is it imitation ivory?

20. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

If you mean would a magnet would work, the trick is to use a rare earth, you can get away with a very small unobtrusive magnet that will hold the brush no problem, make sure you hit dead center drilling it in and then seal it with epoxy or glue of some sort to keep water out. I have almost all my brushes set with magnets to save counter space.