~) the official pen thread (~

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by D.irving79, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I don't even know what to ask for - any basic recommendations? I just joined there and sent a PM to JJ to buy a Reform pen. I don't know what kind of ink. I know people have said Noodlers, but are all Noodlers inks identical other than color? I like the idea of waterproof as well. Do FPs work good as everyday writers, or are they going to bleed through my normal paper (standard cheap notebooks)? I have always liked green ink, so maybe I would want to try that, or a good black ink.

Any suggestions? Not that I really need to become obsessed with another thing - there is already the shaving thing, and my new obsession with classical music. I don't need to add something else.

2. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Don't look at me ;)

Actually there is another lot for $35 also a good deal for a lot of inks.

Some noodlers are waterproof(usually marked as bulletproof, or eternal, some are not).

A lot of people use FP's for everyday, but yes on cheap papers they sometimes feather a bit, and may bleed through.
    When you get your pen from JJ ask him if he can pick a finer nibbed pen if he can, this will work better with cheaper papers.
    Noodlers standard bulletproof ink is good, the Noodler hearts of darkness black is avaliable in a 4.5 oz bottle and is a bit of a better value.
    Noodlers hunter green is a bulletproof ink, but it is expensive and feathers a lot. Check out the reviews of noodlers marine green for a green ink.

3. Corey

Corey Member

I wish I had answers for you, but I'm very new to the whole thing as well. I have three pens right now, all running Noodlers Eel Black. It's a bulletproof line, so it's fraud resistant and all that, and from what I understand, the Eel line has some kind of formulation to keep piston fillers lubricated. Beyond that, I'm not much help on that info.

As for suggestions, I figure that once you figure out what you're using your pen for, you can get the ink based on that. If you're going to use it at work, I'd suggest a blue or black. At home, go for whatever color suits you. Check out the ink review section on FPN. There's a lot of hand written reviews so you can see how the color looks on paper, how long it takes to dry, if there's any kind of bleed through, and all that. I've been using mine at work on different types of paper and haven't found any bleed through with Noodler's ink. It dries quickly, so there's not as much risk of smearing and it doesn't bleed through.

4. Truckman

Truckman New Member

You guys suck. :D

Just paid for my Reform....

and yet another money sucker.....:rolleyes:

5. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i missed a FP yesterday called a gem. so pissed :)

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Did it have a SE nib?:D

7. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

:happy102

8. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

:happy097

9. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who ya are!

:happy102 :happy102 :happy102

10. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Hey, you guys keep talking about the Noodler's ink, but JJ at FPN warned me against Noodler's, said that continued use can damage the pen. Is that so? He suggested the Waterman Blue/Black as a good everyday ink.

11. azshaver

azshaver Member

Dr. Mike, I can't speak about Noodler's, but Waterman is a good ink, black or blue black. It has one advantage, it is easily available locally.

12. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Any big name stores that would carry it?

13. Truckman

Truckman New Member

For me, as a waterproof and permanent ink, he recommended Montblanc Blue-Black or Diamine Registrar. He said the Noodler's Bulletproof isn't 100% waterproof and isn't fast drying which was one of my requirements. He mentioned nothing of it possibly damaging the pen, though...:confused:

14. Corey

Corey Member

Strange, in my experience so far, Noodler's dries pretty quickly and, as one of my shirts could tell you, it's pretty damn waterproof (and bleach proof too). I think the drying could be the result of how wet the pen writes and how fine the nib is. In my Fine nib Penquest, it dries incredibly quickly. The reform seems to lay down a wetter line that takes a little longer to dry, but nothing too horrible. I've been using it in all three pens at work and I haven't run into any smearing.

15. azshaver

azshaver Member

Staples and Office Depot carry it here in AZ.

Ps: You may want to look for an old stationery store. I wanted blue, not always available in the big box stores, dropped by an old local store. "Do you have blue fountain pen ink I asked" the lady said
    "Follow Me" and lead me to a shelf with 3 brands and several colors.

Not unlike finding an old drug store is it?

16. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

I'd question that blanket assertion. Especially when you consider that Noodler's makes an exclusive ink for FPN members.

From my reading over there, the only Noodler's that people really shy away from is the Baystate Blue, which is a 1940s recipe made with current ingredients. There are many reports of staining, but not actual damage.

As long as you are using an ink specifically designed for fountain pens, you should be able to use anything. What *is* to be avoided is vintage inks like Superchrome, which was corrosive enough to destroy many non-Parker pens. That hasn't been available since the mid-50s, so you're safe there. :D

17. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Rick Propas AKA the Penguin a big wig in the world of pelikan pens, and Richard Binder one of the best Pen repairmen strongly oppose the use of noodler inks.

They are supposedly bad for the piston seals, but I have used Noodlers bulletproof inks in all my pens including pelikans and have had no issues with it damaging any of my pens.

The MB blue black and Diamine registrars inks are both Iron gall based inks and supposedly corrosive to steel nibs, but some people use them anyways and it works fine for them.

Mike, waterman inks are good safe inks to use everyday, but they will wash away to nothing at the mere sight of a drop of water. If you want something at the least bit water resistant, this isn't the ink you want to use.

I suppose Burnwood applies to the world of Pens and inks as well as shaving goods

18. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

okay, so I am now thoroughly confused.

So, basic first time user, doesn't know what he is doing, wants a good basic blue/black ink that is reasonably permanent on paper (sometimes my work results in my notebook getting a little damp). Would prefer to get something local if at all possible. I have access to the standard office supply stores, and in addition, there is a Paradise Pens on the other side of town - 30-40 minute drive from home, 20 minutes from work.

Mike

19. mmack66

mmack66 Member

That is awesome.

20. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Sorry Mike, you are looking for the holy grail of inks. :rofl

see if pen paradise has Pilot/Namiki ink in BOTTLES not cartridges.
    These are one of the safest (for pens) ink that I know of that have some water resistance. They don't have a blue black, but they do make a blue and they do make a black