~) the official pen thread (~

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by D.irving79, Apr 16, 2009.

1. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Sounds like something a little nib tweaking would fix. If you've got high magnification, take a close look at the tipping. Could be "baby butt" syndrome (a good thing for faces, a bad thing for nib tipping). This requires some very fine sandpaper and experience to remedy (alternately, it can be learned).

Is it a dry writer at all? If so, it might just need a very small adjustment to make it flow well all the time.

2. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Razor and brush also sells pen supplies

not sure if you all know this but Giovanni and his wife Sylvia also run a sister site to razor and brush that sells fountain pen supplies(mostly repair supplies)
    but have a look when they open back up for business.
    http://www.tryphon.it/catalogo.htm

3. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

I knew the name looked familiar. I knew R&B was down for now, but I hadn't seen anything to that effect for Tryphon. I'm waiting for her to get back to me on an order. She quoted me on shipping, but it's been a couple days since I heard back.

4. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

5. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

That nib is toast. A very close look at the tip reveals that the tip one one tine is smaller than the tip on the other. Or where there should be /\, there's |\ or close to it. The pad at the very tip has similar differences. Sigh.

If I don't hear from Sylvia by Sunday night I'll fire another email off to see if they are actually taking orders. She replied right away with the shipping quote, but nothing so far after I sent an actual order email not long after.

6. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Got my ink yesterday, now just need my pen!

7. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

This is Estie #5 in my collection, but only the second one that is in working condition (so far). Even though the auction listing said excellent condition, I was expecting crispy insides. Didn't happen, which was a pleasant surprise. Nib is a 9556 fine.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      168.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      170.7 KB
      Views:
  8. Truckman

Truckman New Member

So, I was at Staples today. They had two inks, both of which I'm sure would be considered the "canned goo" of FP ink. Parker, and some other brand I can't recall...Hyde or something, maybe? It seemed more of an artists ink, for calligraphy, brushes, sprays, etc... only $3.99 though. It claimed to be waterproof, but also said something on the bottle about diluting with water, too.... Anyway, I picked up the Parker ink bottle for $9.99

Is it OK to try out with the Reform once it gets here? Or should I return it and get something else.... I don't know how feasible it is to get to that Bertram's Inkwell store, so if the Parker doesn't work, I guess I'll just order something online....

9. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Hey, I picked up 2 bottles from a local store - the Mont Blanc Blue/black, and Private Reserve Midnight Blues fast drying - I could send you some, if somebody could weigh in on the best means of decanting this stuff.

Now I am just waiting patiently for the pen to get here.

10. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Nice one, Brian. Do you have all of the standard colors now?

Parker is nice ink, safe and reliable, if maybe a bit unremarkable. Blue or Black? Vintage Parker ink (Quink) is one of my favorites, especially the blue black, which is now kind of gray. Looks 'vintage'.

Bong is the master ink decanter around here, but the easy way is to get little plastic or glass bottles (1/2 oz or less) and use an eyedropper. Tape over the gap between the cap and bottle before shipping.

11. Truckman

Truckman New Member

+1 on the patiently waiting.... Well, based on Tom's post below, maybe I'll give the Parker a try. As for decanting, do you have anywhere you can get some pipettes?

It is the black Quink.

12. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Pipettes are a good idea. Modern Black Quink is as good an ink as any out there. It's not as black as some and not as gray as others. Perfectly safe for any pen. I'm curious: Does your box of Quink say anything about Solv-X anywhere? Quink made in India still contains Solv-X (an anti-fungal and 'cleaner'), but I don't think US Quink has it anymore.

13. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

14. Truckman

Truckman New Member

The box says Made In France. Also, the bottom of the bottle (glass) says "France" on it....
    Thanks Bong!

15. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

16. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I found a surprise when I was digging around in the back closet. I never did find what I was looking for, but found these instead. The Tuckersharpe is a nice 2 tone light/dark green. The mystery pen is a green marbley plastic with a screw on cap. Both seem to be in working order. That's a mechanical pencil in there with the Tuckersharpe.

Attached Files:

17. MsBlackwolf

I ordered a bottle of Noodler's Seqouia (green-black) ink for the Tucker. I also found a converter for my Parkers, so I can use it in one of the Vector FPs too! :happy108

18. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

That clear section on the tucker is very cool.

19. MsBlackwolf

It's really a nice FP. I like it :)

20. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Still need a blue one. #4 was a desk pen, so they're not all J's or SJ's.