~) the official pen thread (~

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by D.irving79, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Corey

Corey Member

I got a Pilot pen that I've been waiting for from an ebay purchase. It's a nice looking pen with a good feel to it. I need to find a converter or cartridge that goes with this pen to give it a shot.

[​IMG]

I also got a Wality 77D from Retrodesk.com from a friend at work. It's a really excellent writing pen. It puts down a line that's slightly wetter than the one the Reform writes.

2. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

:happy102:happy102:happy102
    I laugh, because I can relate. I made the mistake of putting the pen, nib up, in my pants pocket today. Somehow the cap became unscrewed, and now I have a small blue spot on my jeans (luckily they are my old pair for messy work) and a few small spots on my pocket knife. Anybody know how to get ink off of a pocket knife? It is a Gerber Ripstop.

Then I got a package from Bong with 2 new pens (another Reform and a Pilot 78G), and 4 ink samples. The ink samples had leaked, so in order to get them out and cleaned off, I proceeded to ink the tips of all 10 fingers. Now I look like I have been fingerprinted!:happy102

3. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Yeah, my turnaround has been abysmal to say the least. I think you waited like 5 months or some ridiculous amount of time (and were still very kind about the whole thing). Average is still over a month, but, well, I just couldn't help myself with Brian. I do still have one customer that's been patiently waiting since before I moved down here, but I'm slowly working through her 27 pieces and she still says she's in no hurry. This is why I've been trying to devote weekends to cranking through the queue... :ashamed001

I just got a pen in from Pam today and will (hopefully) ship it back out to her tomorrow - even better service than Brian got! :D

4. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Woooooo that's fast! Told you no hurry, no worry. I can't write any checks with it anyway :sad027

5. MsBlackwolf

Take a nice pic of it and post it if you wanna, Tom. I don't have a decent digi camera.

6. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Sorry the samples leaked Mike.

As for the stains, try water, then diluted household ammonia diluted 1:10(.1% final concentration) you can try regular windex too, it has ammonia in it too. or you can try methanol or isopropanol.

7. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Broke I can't help you with, but Noodler's "bulletproof" inks come with a challenge and a cash reward for the first person to be able to wash it off a check. No one's collected yet, and it's been a few years.

8. azshaver

azshaver Member

Truckman, welcome to the world of the fountain pen. Think of these things you have just experienced as weepers and nicks. Technique will cure all, and you will experience the same feeling of accomplishment in your writing as you did when you got the first bbs without blood.

9. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Matt, you didn't read a single word I typed. :rofl

Just ribbing you a bit Tom, all in good fun. :)

10. MsBlackwolf

Nobody will ever collect on that deal.

11. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Yep, knew that. Still, I want to point out how kind you were to graciously wait so stinkin' long for your pens to come back home. Not many folks would have been so understanding. BTW, how are they treating you? Is Michele still enjoying that awesome stub Tucky that you ground for her? That was one amazing nib. You've got a real talent there...

12. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

I still haven't inked them, actually they are still packed away. I haven't had a chance to do much playing with the pens at all, (see I was in no rush at all) my only pen I have inked and readily available is a lamy vista I just got for a knock around pen. It writes way too fat for my liking so I ground/smoothed the top side of the nib so I can use the nib inverted for a finer line.

She really likes the reground tucky, but she says she can't use it on Clairefontaine paper because the combo is too slick and the nib flies off the pages.

13. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

:happy102:laugh042:rofl:happy001:happy097

14. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Actually, I did....when I was at home I did just that. Not having any trouble at all, I assumed I was capable without the training wheels....wrong! :happy102

15. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Stop that. :prrr

I see I'm not the only one who thinks Clairefontaine paper is a little too "fast". On some of the smoother writing nibs, I feel like I've got no brakes when writing on the Clairefontaine. My handwriting is out of control if I try to write at my normal pace. I'm skidding all over the place. I have to slow down quite a bit to regain control and make my handwriting look nice again.

I picked up a Miquelrius notebook at Target a few days ago, and I like the "slower" feel of the paper. It's not as slick, so there's a little more drag to keep the pen in check.

16. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

I like that terminology - fast and slow paper. Never really thought of it in those terms, but they make a lot of sense. I've always thought slick and rough, or calendared and unfinished. Cool beans, Brian!

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Ok, turned and tried my first FP last night, and I am hooked. I love writing with it. Thanks for the advice everyone!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

:happy096 That is a sharp looking pen Rodd, what kind of wood is that? Mahogany?
    :happy036
    I'll send you some noodlers walnut ink, that will be a very good match for the pen I think.

19. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Thank you! It was marked cocobolo, but it does not have the distinct grain patterns I am used to in cocobolo, so I am not sure.

20. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Oooooh, pretty!:drool