The one and only shave kit.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by tuxxdk, Jul 3, 2013.

1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Me 2. :)

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Someone had to stick up for it.

I hated it for the longest time, I think from boot camp. The kinda forced us all to use it. We had one of those huge deli pickle jars full of AV and cotton balls called "The Mug Jug." We each had to take a cotton ball of it and use it on our faces on the way out of "the rain room" right before mail call and lights out.

I resisted even buying it for a year into traditional shaving. When I did pull the trigger, it was love.

PanChango likes this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I used to like it, then one day I splashed some on and it seemed all synthetic funky smelling like the Godrej creams.

I knew right there I was done. Not sure what changed, but there was no going back.

battle.munky likes this.
  4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Necropost!

Water under the bridge and many shaves later, I seem to have a pattern in my Den. I very much like other combos as well, but this is just something I always fall back on when I want perfect, no-frills, great shaves. It's my updated "one and only kit" that I'd be perfectly happy with, should it be my only gear. It differs a bit from my setup in the start of the thread, but back then I didn't have much experience in traditional shaving. As time has passed, I've narrowed my Den down significantly. I'm always on a KISS mission :)
    • Weber all-stainless steel razor with polished head and "Bulldog-handle"Just a solid performer for me, very smooth, perfect weight. Albeit not being cheap, the Weber, the Mühle R89 could just as well replace it. Loved it.
    • Steve Woodhead Pottery shallow shaving mug "#Z3B"Being a bowl-lather-man, this is great! Size, handle, color, design. It's all there for me.
    • Bestshave #6 boar brushSolid all-round performer. Until I, maybe, get a synthetic, this is my goto brush. Cheap and easy to use.
    • Proraso White shaving soapGood price, easy to obtain, exceptional performance, nice cooling effect from the menthol and a heavenly light scent. Can't ask for more.
    • Viking's Sword double edge bladeGreat price and perfect match for the Weber.
    • Bulldog Men ”Sensitive” face washPleasant light-scented wash with more good ingredients and less bad than most out there. Cheap as well.
    • Nivea Men Sensitive after shave balmLocally available, great performance, light-scented. Just a good companion after a shave.

Those of you who know me, knows I'm not much of a rotator, so it's not boring to me, having to use the same gear day in, day out. I actually enjoy it.

Am I the only one who more or less use one specific kit each day?

Raven312 likes this.
  5. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Wash face: Ivory bar soap, warm water, soft 100% cotton wash cloth.
    Soap/crème: Omega soft soap in the black tub.
    Brush: Omega 48 boar.
    Razor: EJ DE89 or Muhle R89 (same?)
    After shave: Thayers Witch Hazel.

This is about as easy, compact, and simple as I can make it.

tuxxdk likes this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

y'all ain't right.
    if I was forced to choose, I'd grow a beard.
    I like all of mine.

Silverirae likes this.
  7. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Interesting to consider.

Preshave: Hot Shower
    Razor: The Standard Razor
    Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium
    Soap: Mikes Natural or TSD Lanolin
    Brush: Whipped Puppy Silvertip
    AS: A little Thayer's, then Adidas Dynamic Pulse
    With this I could be happy. But, I have no intention of doing so! :happy069: