The Pro Glide (I'm secretly in Love)

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by newb, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

"The Pro Glide (I'm Secretly In Love)"..well..I guess the secret is out now..;)

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    We are open minded individuals here. Far be it from us to bash you for coming out of the closet.

I like the fact that I can shave twice a day (if I want to) with a DE razor, rather than the once every two days I could do with the last iteration of the five bladed razor. That being said, this is a wet shaving forum, not a de, single or straight razor forum.

3. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Nothing at all wrong with using what works. I primarily use a DE but I own razors from Schick and Gillette and they still receive fair amount of use. Hydro 5 is my favorite.

4. Grick

Grick Active Member

ProGlide does deliver. Are they overpriced? No sure considering how people complain about the poor shaves they get out of cheaper knock-offs. A new blade is very expensive to develop. I read somewhere that it costs Gillette over a billion to develop the Fusion. It could very well be that a quality blade is indeed expensive to produce. I used to get crappy DE shaves and then switched back to Fusion for years. Then, on a whim, I used a DE again and got a BBS shave. Ever since then I've been using almost exclusively my DE Gillette and get BBS shaves every time with very few nicks. When it comes down to time pressure, the Fusion and the ProGlide will give you a very fast shave. They do deliver but I don't really enjoy the shave. Shaving with a Fusion is like fast food: It fills you up but doesn't really satisfy as much as a 3 course meal. I love shaving with a DE way too much. The heavy Gillette Adjustable made in 1964 has so much more class than the Fusion plastic. But I know that 80% of all shavers would rather shave with a Fusion instead of making a fuss about DE shaving.

5. dcc

dcc Well-Known Member

4-5$ for 1 cartridge,noo way!

6. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Oddly enough I have used (comfortably) a Fusion cartridge for a month, so it is possible to use them for around $5/month. Though all my blades and cartridges (Both DE or Fusion) get heavy use due to me shaving my head. Some would probably be surprised how decent if feels using a fusion along with a brush and real soap/cream. They improved those strips on the razor too - no random insane goop that looks like you slammed your face into a dairy queen cake decoration vat.

Leo K. likes this.
  7. newb

newb Resident Newb

Update to my love for the pro-glide. It has since been replaced by the schick quattro. Cheaper blades and awesome shave. I still d/e, and use a str8 occasionally, but when I'm pressed for time and need a good nick free shave a quattro is what I grab now.

Leo K. likes this.
  8. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

I loaded a fresh blade into my Fusion this morning and oh boy what a wonderful shave. I guess the old one lasted over a month i never kept track.
    Tempted to try other multi-blade shavers but not sure why when what I have works so well .... Nice one Gillette!
    YMMV and all that ;]