The Queen's Brush; a Rodd Custom in Best

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Queen of Blades, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'll let you know, Michael.

Initially I think the Royal is less flexible than the BLK4.

2. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Mighty fine job Rodd!

JoAnna, you are a lucky lady!

3. Queen of Blades

Wow this brush has a lot more backbone than I've ever experienced.

Practically whipped the soap (TSD Lavender) into a frenzy without any assistance from me. :happy088

Excellent brush! Thanks, Rodd!

Comparison to the BLK4? Night and day.

4. The Chebb

The Chebb New Member

Damn! That brush is so big it can double as a rolling pin! SWEET!

5. mickdaman

mickdaman New Member

Wow, that's a beautiful brush...

if you used it to lather up some lime cream, you could call it the Sicilian Defence!:o

6. -PO-

-PO- New Member

That is one mighty fine looking brush :D Great craftsmanship Rodd

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

This thread needs a bump to the top, because that is one fantastic looking brush! I don't care if it is loaded up with rat hair, that is the coolest brush I have ever seen! Kudos to you, Rodd! :signs107

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

haha Thanks.

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I put this in my projects thread, but thought since it is to go with the royal brush, I would put it here too. My first razor handle. [​IMG]

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

that's very cool! A 34C head, I presume?

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Actually it is off a 25c, the long handled classic, I think it is the same head as the 34c though. Unfortunately it is not a spare, so JoAnna will have to provide the head. The part the head screws in to is the top part of a ball end old Gillette that had a split barrel.

12. Queen of Blades

Too cool! :1respect

13. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Nicely done, Rodd. I'm not sure what the thread size is for a razor head, but a threaded insert might work. If Woodcraft (where the pic came from) doesn't have the right internal thread pitch, you could try McMaster-Carr. They also have metric sizes if that's what's needed. Go here and search for <threaded inserts>.

For that matter, you could probably tap the hole with the correct thread pitch and just screw the head into the wood threads. Especially with hardwoods, I would think it would be quite strong, though it is end-grain so I'm not so sure.

Assuming you ever plan to make another of course.

Attached Files:

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Thanks! I appreciate it! I actually picked up some brass tubing today at a hardware store and I was going to try to thread that, then glue it in the wood. One thing I thought of though is when you screw the head on tight the metal really puts the preassure on the head to keep the blade from moving. I did not know if the wood could do the same. I am certainly going to try. The threaded inserts are a fantastic idea. I will look in to them! It would be nice to not have to disable one razor to make another, however right now I am disabling two. (threaded piece and head from two different razors) I wonder if Merkur would sell me some heads.... :rolleyes:

15. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I would bet that threading the wood would be a stronger joint than the glue joint between smooth brass tubing and wood.

McMaster also sells the inserts in stainless which would probably look better if any part of it is exposed. If you want a shiny finish, just get assorted grits of wet dry sandpaper from an auto parts store or Sears, say 600/1000/1500/2000, and polish the end. Will look like chrome when you're done.

For heads, try The Gentleman's Shop if Merkur won't sell them to you. Worst they can say is no. Robert or Charlotte Johnston... sales@gentlemans-shop.com

16. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Fergie,
    My concern with threading the wood is that I would not be able to seal the wood after threading it, without filling the threads with sealant. This would leave the wood open to rot, especially with as wet as the razor is sure to get. I checked the gentlemans-shop website and saw that they sell Merkurs, do they also deal with parts? I will contact them and see how it goes. I have seen kits to turn your own handles for fusions and stuff, too bad someone does not offer that for double edge razors.

17. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I don't know if they sell parts. Won't hurt to ask though. They seem like nice folks.

18. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

Wow! That is really sweet! Very nice work, Rod! Congrats JoAnna on such a beauty.

19. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I contacted them, they don't actually get their razors directly from Merkur, so thy don't have a source, but recommended contacting EJ, which makes sense.

20. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

how 'bout another?

That IS really cool!