The Quest for the Holy Grail

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Shawna, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

For my entire life, from the time I was eight years old; shaving was a chore for me. I hated it. I ended up with razor burn from every shave. There was no schooling on how to properly shave, I was just given my tools and materials and told to "go forth and prosper" .. or something like that. I was provided with Noxzema foam from a red can and a razor, and let’s face it here... I was eight years old. Who wants to shave when they are eight!

My razor that was provided for me was a Personal Touch cartridge razor. I diligently used that type of razor until I discovered the Venus, we’ll say more than 15 years later. While I had less irritation with the Venus, it was still there. I was always seeking post-shave remedies so that I didn’t have to experience the razor burn that had become an every other day part of my life. No matter what I tried, the irritation was still there, and still uncomfortable.

Imagine for a moment, shaving your face and then immediately having to cover it with denim for the next 10 – 14 hours. Imagine the irritation. That was me, except this was on my legs. I would shave, get ready for school or later, work, and have to put on some type of pant. I grew up in Oklahoma and you sweat rivers. Right down your freshly shaved legs. Major irritation.

I tried everything that I could think of; more pressure, less pressure, shaving more, shaving less. Exfoliating prior to the shave; oils, lotions, Vaseline. The same irritation always occurred. I had resigned myself to the fact that shaving was an unpleasant chore that had to be completed. It is uncomfortable for me to let the hair on my legs grow.

After years of trying, I finally came to a practice that kept most of the irritation away but wasn’t ideal. A woman wants to have smooth and silky legs, and it has nothing to do with men. Sorry! It feels good, it is comfortable .. and it makes you feel like a woman. The man part is a bonus. ;) I started shaving every third day in the winter and every other day in the summer. I still had irritation but it wasn’t quite as bad. This turned into my practice for years.

Then one day in May a couple years ago, I discovered what it means to really have a fantastic shave. I found the correct tools; pre and post shave rituals and Folks .. the Heaven’s opened. I became a new wet-shaving enthusiast.

Like me, new wet-shavers are always on the quest for the perfect shave, the perfect materials and tools and it is a valiant quest. When you discover something that finally works, you will search out the "perfect" combo ... no matter the cost or time invested. I was on that road as well; once I found that shaving can feel good, it can make you feel good and it can be enjoyable. Then maturity in the quest sets in and you realize that once you have the right tools, shaving doesn’t require work or thought, it only requires doing. And shaving has to be what is comfortable for you and only you.

I had acquired numerous razors over the months. Twist-to-opens and Injectors mostly, but also experimented with three-piece razors and Adjustables. I would diligently rotate between the razors and each shave was fantastic because there was no irritation. Then, I decided that I didn’t want to have 10 razors to choose from, I wanted one razor that I could pick up, put a blade in it and just shave.

Don’t get me wrong, I think collections are fantastic and in some cases, variety is very much the spice of life. I’m just saying, my personal quest for the perfect shave ended when I found that a DE shave was what I had been missing my entire life. For you, it may be an Injector or an Adjustable. Only you can define your Holy Grail when it comes to shaving.

I have very much settled in on the Lord L6. I had the opportunity to shave with an Edwin Jagger not too long ago, and yes, the shave was nice but it wasn't my L6. It is nice that I am able to shave almost every day now. My legs sing to me they are so happy. I have found brushes that compliment my legs and help me to achieve a close shave with zero irritation, even though my job requires me to wear nylons everyday. And not just nylons, but pants and on most days a lab coat. It gets hot and I do sweat, but I don't worry any longer that my legs will have irritation at the end of the day. In addition to the razor, I have soaps and creams that do not irritate me and post shave remedies that are just fantastic … for me and my quest for the Holy Grail of Shaving.

These days, it is nice to wake up at 0415 and grab my razor, whip up my soap/cream in my favorite mug, get in the shower and shave. After the shave, I can “girl” it up all that I need and let me tell you … there are some days I do just that! I like mixing and matching and combining different scents. I get quite a few compliments at work and some of my staff have preferred combinations. But the foundation really doesn’t change. It’s going to be the same razor, same blades, same four or five brushes and then depending on what I have going on that day … my scent combinations will change.

I hope to get to one brush someday, but for right now I don’t see that happening. I have found my favorites.

So, tell me about you. Have you found your Holy Grail in a razor, brush, cream/soap or pre/post shave ritual?

Asd, macaronus, wknicholas and 13 others like this.
  2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Great type up. :)

I must say that starting shaving for me was tough as well... My father didn't have a father so he never learned how to shave. Never learned how to tie a tie. I had to learn it all on my own, well the traditional part of shaving. He shaves with can goo and a quatro or something similar :(

ANYWAYS... I think I might have found my holy grail so far. The 404... MMM great brush and a gillette NEW with voskhold. I want to try a TTO with the Gillette NEW open comb style... but those are a tad too expensive for me.

Shawna likes this.
  3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Nice article, Shawna. I as well found out that I like to have that one go to razor and during my DE days that razor was the EJ 89L with a Voskhod blade. I made the switch to straights around late August and that is my home now, as nothing can compete with the cut throat for gentle, and smooth shaves. Razor bumps and ingrowns are in my rear view mirror and getting smaller as each day passes. I've also decided to thin out my den as I've got way to many soap and creams competing for use, so for now I'm using them up and am going to stick with 4 soaps and 1 cream when I'm done.

Shawna likes this.
  4. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Great article Shawna. My father just handed me an electric razor, this is what you use to shave with. Over the years I have used electric razors, cartridge razors never enjoyed the shaves.

About two years ago I discovered shaving nirvana when I discovered classic wet shaving. I use vintage razors I have several razors I enjoy using them all. I love the variety of products, blades, and brushes you can use.

Shawna likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Great article, Shawna. Bravo!

Can't say I've really been searching for my Holy Grail. My first DE was an HD. Simply fantastic. I've since collected quite a few more and enjoy shaving with each one of them. Some of them give better shaves than others, but for me, part of the fun is using the variety. It's even more fun when the razor is a century old!

Shawna likes this.
  6. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Great piece of writing. I can't say that I am looking for the Holy grail...... I just like variety and experimenting, and I reckon I will continue to do so.....while I still can!

crackstar and Shawna like this.
  7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Good article BG!

I'm gonna go put my denim mask back on now :p

denim.jpg

tomnat, Bird Lives, Mechguy and 5 others like this.
  8. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

That was a very good article, Shawna. Well written and well done!

So what is a shaving Holy Grail really? Is it the perfect combination of razor, blade, cream or soap, brush? If so, then my first was a Gillette Trac II, Longs drugstore brand cartridges (made by ASR) and Kiss My Face mint shaving cream, no brush or aftershave needed. The store brand cartridges were soon changed and the fantastic shaves became much less so.

It seems to me that a Holy Grail combo is a superlative one that will also continue for some time into the future. I have found some great combinations that qualify by that standard, but will still explore a little bit more.

Shawna likes this.
  9. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Great article, Shawna. I enjoy reading other people's experiences, especially when they end well.

Ok, where to start?

1. Do you shave like men in that you shave in different directions and passes (ATG, XTG, etc.)?
    2. Have you ever used a shave stick?
    3. Do you shave the back of your legs?
    4. Do you work around patients?
    5. What is your favorite post shave ritual or product?
    6. Why is it 4 a.m. and I'm asking a stranger if she shaves the back of her legs?

Shawna likes this.
  10. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

My Holy Grail was realizing it doesn't exist ;)

swarden43, alpla444 and Shawna like this.
  11. Shawna

<Deep Breath>

1. I shave ATG only, starting at my ankle and moving all the way up. I have learned different techniques that achieve a close shave on areas of my legs that didn't necessarily get a close shave. I will stretch the skin above me knee so that I don't have that feeling of stubble even though I just shaved it. Stretching that piece of skin is way better than applying pressure! On my shin I may have to go XTG, my hair grows in different patterns there.
    2. I have not used a shave stick. I personally don't see a shave stick as value-added to my shave. I would have to rub the stick in and then go back over it with a brush to build the lather. That's a lot of leg real estate to cover twice.
    3. Yep.
    4. I work around donors.
    5. When I get out of the shower, I have specific routine that I don't deviate from. I towel off and put my hair up in the towel; wipe my ears out with a tissue; add allergy eye drops to my eyes (cats!); apply deodorant; apply either body lotion, ASM, or ASB to my legs, feet and elbows; rinse shaving tools and put away; hang my towel up; add product to my hair and .... well, then I finish getting ready. I performed a mini-kaizen a while back on my shaving routine and found out what works best for me and my set-up. ;) I can't say I have a favorite product, although I do enjoy layering my scents.
    6. :p

CyanideMetal and Mechguy like this.
  12. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I though your holy grail would QC or RD in the Omega brush dept :happy102:

Great article Shawna, very nice read:)

Shawna likes this.
  13. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Not to detract from Shawna's awesome article, but shaving really doesn't have the same meaning as it once did to me; I've grown back my full goatee and really am only shaving to keep it trimmed.

When I walk into my bathroom, I ask myself whose bathroom is this? 3 Years ago I was content with an Omega boar, Parker 99R, VDH, Red IP's, and bottle of Lilac Vegetal or whatever else I could find at Dollar General...

14. battle.munky

:happy097:
    Don't gemba walk my den.....much waste!

15. Shawna

:happy097:

battle.munky likes this.
  16. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

As always a well thought out and written post.
    Thank you for sharing, but I am still searching. The wet shaving alone has helped me greatly, but I am looking for my blade and razor combo.

Shawna likes this.
  17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

First: Great article Shawna...You have a very vocal writting style...Whenever I read your articles I feel like we had a conversation...Thanks for sharing....You always put your finger right on many things I'm sure we have all felt and tried to express...Right On!! or is that Write On!!

"Holy Grail" razor means 2 things to me...One: that elusive vintage that you always wanted, that you are either sure will give the greatest shave of all-time...or just be the coolest, baddest piece of shaving history that you can own. Or Two: The razor that gives you the most pleasure...This second one is the variety of "Holy Grail" that Shawna is talking about in this article...So I will try to break this down to it's simplest results the way Shawna did...

Jeff gave me a Schick I2 just like the first razor I ever saw my Dad shave with, and it promply started wasting every razor I had ever shaved with...It wasn't a competition, but it just took and held my 'Go To' razor spot with an 'iron blade'...lol I did miss the DE shaving experiance though, for now, DE's were out of the picture.

Now I've always considered the Gillette Senator as a 'Holy Grail' (referring to the first variety). I've thought it was the baddest looking razor since I saw that Jack Dempsey ad when I was a kid. And as an adult I've loved the idea of a Gillette Open Comb TTO. And whenever I've seen one pop up around here I usually make a comment about "Holy Grail" or something similar...And as many of you know, Jody gave me a pristene Senator for Christmas. Well it's lived up to my expectations, it is the baddest looking DE of all-time as well as the only DE that I've ever shaved with that can easily stand up to the Schick. So now, DE's are back in the equation...All this makes it a "Holy Grail" of both varieties...

So now I have the Schick I2 for those easy '1 pass' DFS's; that it will give you without trying; and it's connection with my Pop.... Aswell as the Senator for just the finest, most polished, irritation free BBS's in '2+' passes that I have had the pleasure...

The Omega 10029 is my one daily brush, and I have no desire to change....Arko Shave Stick would have to be my 'Holy Grail' soap....all else is subject to change.....Except 'The Shave Den"....thats my 'Holy Grail' shave forum....;)

And I'm now getting the best shaves of my life and having more fun doing so than ever before....Thanks to all my friends here, who have helped in so many ways....

Shawna and alpla444 like this.
  18. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Yes as Bird lives just said.

Im not sur if I have found my perfect set-up/ holy grail, but im pretty sure I will find out this year, 3 razor I want to try Darwin,Eclipse and a slant. soaps/creams tet-a-tet and MDC. as for brush I have several they all are good I may buy one more but no intentions.
    With all that in mind I may look to reduce the size of my den next year as I will have a clearer Idea what my holy grail is. But for now I still have RAD and im happy with that, just that the razors I want to try/buy are rare vintage I know that comes at a price that is not an issue its just the waiting for one to show up:)

One reason for me having a large den (well larger than I need) is that my skin changes with the seasons ie dry's out alot esp with working in a warehouse thats dusty some parts of it are warm and some very cold, and it does take its toll on skin and affects my set-up choice from time to time:)

19. battle.munky

I think I've found the razor (Muhle R-41, circa 2011) as I'm sure many of you are tired of hearing me say :D, but I don't know if I'll ever find the rest of the entire shave. I really like Tabac SS but depending on my mood, I grab other stuff. Actually, I'm thinking that if I didn't have choices it would destroy it for me.

So, I think traditional wet shaving itself is my "holy grail." It is just shaving, but it's been more than 2 years and hundreds of shaves later and I'm still as enthusiastic now as I was on the first day, just a lot less fearful a whole lot happier.

Shawna, Shaver X, macaronus and 4 others like this.
  20. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

:signs011::happy096:

Shawna and battle.munky like this.