The R41

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by newb, Sep 30, 2011.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

Ok guys, I really dig the looks of this razor and I have an odd desire to try one ? Not that I don't have that same desire with countless others. I'm kind of a swinger when it comes to razors, I like em all. I was actually at another forum and was overwhelmed my the total Fanboyism this razor is stirring. OMG the wheel has been re-invented. If you don't own a R41 you really don't know anything about shaving. It seems to me the EJ89 flavor has been replaced with the R41 frenzy. I had to rush back to the level headed shave den and regroup my thoughts. So, here are my re-grouped thoughts.

1) The R41 with the 2011 comb is a very nice looking razor.
    2) I do doubt if it will deliver a better shave to me than my VISION, Clog-Pruf, injectors, or even my new tasty Rotbart. But I'm willing to give it a try for scientific reasons.
    3) There's a big possibility I would be wasting my money on a R41. When I started wet shaving the HD was the flavor of the month, it was quickly replaced by the EJ89. I never could get a decent shave from either of those. The R41 may be another flavor that just won't work for me. I have a problem using this style of razor, heavy head, heavy handle. (ie EJ/Merkur HD/Ikon/Fatboy/Barbasol) Other than a Futur and Vision, I favor, less heavy razors.
    4) The fanboyism that is claiming this is the greatest razor ever invented for everyone. Really turns me off to it, as they do not understand the an important concept in shaving YMMV.

So, I'm left still confused, with the same thoughts. Should I buy it? Do I need another razor? It really is a sharp looking razor though. Boy do I want one.

2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Well, all I can offer is if you buy it, you shouldn't have any problem reselling it if you don't like it.. since people are going schizo over it these days. I'll put a vintage Darwin up against the new R41 any day, myself. ;)

alpla444 likes this.
  3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

First, let me extend to you an offer that was extended to me. I will send you mine for a test drive. Run a few blades through it and make up your own mind. All it'll cost you is a few bucks for shipping.

Second, as you will soon see, it isn't heavy handled at all really, so some of that is just bs that you've heard.

It is true that it is VERY different. HUGELY different.

All I ask is you let me get another week (well, another blade anyhow...probably another 4 or 5 days) with it and then I'll send it off to you for a week or so but I will absolutely have to have it back before Thanksgiving, going back home and Dad wants to give it a whirl too.

PM me when you are ready.

*enable* *enable* *enable*

rodd, IAmTheJody and alpla444 like this.
  4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I agree with jody there just buy it, I saw a used ej89l on ebay go for £22.00 it was like new granted, but I got a new one for £17.10 on amazon with 5 derby blades!!! basically resale value of good new razors is high so it is cost effective to try em.
    And as jody said there would be a few people willing to take it off your hands on this site. without you taking too big ahit on it.:)

5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

But then again Bobs offer is fantastic;) top bloke well done there B:)B

IAmTheJody and battle.munky like this.
  6. battle.munky

Especially if you got it from Connaught on the cheap. Still willing to loan you mine but if you did decide to buy and try instead, you'd be able to offload it easily enough I'm sure.

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The R41 was just too much for me. I found that I could only get a pleasant shave using a Feather blade. Anything less sharp was tuggy. The OCMM on the other hand is mild yet very effective for me. It is definitely a YMMV thing on this razor. I would take Bob up on his offer to give it a shot for a week or so.

In my opnion, the R41 is a vicious face biting Chihuahua while the OCMM is a sweet and cuddly Pitbull.

battle.munky and GDCarrington like this.
  8. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Great offer, Bob! I would definitely take him up on it and give it a try before you shell out the dough for it. I haven't tried the R41, but I must admit I have been tempted to pick one up. I have, however, given the OCMM a try (thank you very much, Dale) and I agree that it is indeed a sweet cuddly Pitbull.

battle.munky likes this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hey, any chance to try a new fancy razor for free is worth taking up.

Well played, Bob!

battle.munky likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

*snicker*

11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Here's a video of geofatboy using the R41. Fast forward to the 10 minute mark to get to the shaving...

12. newb

newb Resident Newb

Bob, I thank you for the very generous offer.:smiley respect: I've been keeping an eye on Connaught and will possibly snag one when they get more in stock. I certainly will be able to resell it if I don't like it. That for me is probably the best option. I have a tendency to use razors on and off over a long period of time before I develop a true opinion. Heck I've been playing with a fatboy and Ikon for well over a year, I'm still thinking I may find the sweet spot eventually. So I guess I shall add another to the collection. Luckily razors don't take up much space, or I would possibly be a candidate for the TV show Hoarders.:ashamed001:

13. battle.munky

I feel the same way :)

14. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I think its something everyone can use, its not as sophisticated/aggressive as being made out to be, the only issue I have is its not pleasant on my face and wouldn't use it daily.

Its a fine shaver for those days you're in a hurry, or only feel like doing 2 passes, great for side burn trimming but its definitely not the be-all end-all of razors though...

Still waiting for Peter, Paul and Mary to get the R102's in stock.

15. gundog

gundog New Member

I have the Vision and it has been my favorite now for over 5 years. I just acquired the New Muhle R41. At first I was convinced I would not keep it, but after my second shave, I was on the fence and after my third shave I was convinced it was a keeper. I'm now on my fourth shave and it continues to get better. I love the Vision and it is my favorite but I'm now on the fence as to whether or not the new Muhle R41 will take its place. I will definitively be keeping both the Muhle R41 and the Vision. So I would say give it a try. In My opinion, if you like the Vision, you will like the R41 after adjusting to it. It is different but in a good way.

16. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I was the same way with my old Pal Adjustable Injector. First, I hated it. Then, I tolerated it. Now, I love it.

Who says you have to replace the Vision with the R41, or vice versa? That's why we have rotations. Variety is the spice of life.

The fanboyism is like the Glock and AR15 fanboyism. If you don't have one, or don't like them for any reason, you're an idiot.

I want to try the R41. Don't know if I will. The razors I have work just fine for me.

battle.munky likes this.
  17. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yeah Mang! As a former friend of both Pit's and Chico's I get this! OTOH... the R-41 does it for me where the OCMM always jacked me up! Heh!

PanChango likes this.
  18. battle.munky

I just want it stated for the record that I am not at all saying this. I am saying that it is a great razor. I would maybe even go as far as to say that if you are a fan of mild razors, this one probably isn't one for you.

As you said earlier, Jaymo, variety is the spice of life. I don't hate anyone for liking/disliking weird/common things. To each his/her own. I'm just saying that for me, I'm a fanboy of this razor. Should everyone be? Nope, only if they want to be.

alpla444 likes this.
  19. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

And I wasn't talking about you, battle.munky, my friend. I'm speaking in general terms about the fanboyism. Making a comparison, is all. No offense intended, except to those who feel that if you don't like what they like that you must be an idiot.
    Wasn't talking about ANYONE on this forum. Y'all are my extended family, so to speak.
    I remember when the Ikon was the fanboy flavor of the month for many.
    I would love to try the R41. I just don't know if I will get one. Does it shave like a Gillette Old Type Open Comb? I like those. I need to find a really nice one to have rehandled by CCB.
    Now, the German Wehrmacht Bakelite open comb slant, on the other hand, was like a piranha to my face.

BTW, I'd like to try the Ikon razors, too.

I'm a fan of my DE87, Slim Adjustable, Injectors, Gillette Old Type, Super Speeds, Gem SEs, Merkur Slant(except for the crappy plating), Neillite 400, unknown make-brown Bakelite DEs, and pre-51 fat-handled Techs, but I don't consider myself a fanboy.
    That said, I have quite enough razors to last me a few lifetimes and I still have room in my rotation for a few more, such as an R41.

BTW, isn't geofatboy the dude who shaves with a straight in the video at speeds that would take skin grafts off my face if I tried it? I'm amazed at how fast he does it. I'd be afraid my hand would twitch or slide to the side and take off half my face.

20. battle.munky

It shaves like every other DE but then again it doesn't. The only thing I can say to explain it is that it is different. I think better, some think worse but I believe that it would be a unanimous and resounding different from all who have tried it. Something about the way the blade sits nearly flat.......some people have likened it to a str8 but I disagree since they are just simply too different to compare. Like a Gem? Nope, with those you have to keep the angle of the blade nearly parallel with the face but, for me anyhow, with the R41 you need it almost perpendicular to the face. Check out geofatboy's vid and see what I mean. It's just different.