The road to victory. Fit to be fit.

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by IAmTheJody, Jul 9, 2012.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Pssst... Mike... send Jody another bill for services rendered. Maybe we can finally convince him to go on the "auto billing" program.

macaronus likes this.
  2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Where's Bill when you need him? No Bill's left over here. I ran out of 'em... (or rather: they ran faster than me).

3. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Why do you need to add oil to hummus ? I make it without oil, only add tehina and lemon juice, garlic and spices.

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

You're not supposed to add oil to anything or eat anything with oil already added, if you're on a 100% plant-based diet. Or at least the one I'm on.

Also, you should inbox me your hummus recipe. Curious to see if it differs from the one I've been using. :)

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Listen to you walkin' the walk!

Impressed, I am. I know I've said it before Jody, but, youda man, brother.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  6. richgem

ftfy :D

PLANofMAN, battle.munky and macaronus like this.
  7. newb

newb Resident Newb

Oil is added to the beans to make hummus. Traditional Hummus contain a lot of olive oil.... Store bought hummus has a high content of fat....
    Your making a fat free hummus. I add 1 Tbs of olive oil per every 2 cups of chick peas, to make it just a little richer. A traditional recipe uses a 1/4 cup or more oil for 2 cups of chick peas. (Truthfully Traditional Hummus tastes way better than any lower fat version)

8. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Hi Jody

I have not heard much from you but I wanted to stop in and see how this thread was doing. A while back I posted that I was getting ready to make some huge changes in my diet and I said that I would post an update on that. So here it is.

Just a little under 3 weeks ago my family and I started looking at our food intake in a different way. I am a type 2 diabetic and I have been needing to make a serious change for a long time. When I was first diagnosed (September 10, 2010) I was pretty gung ho about changing my life so I could learn to live with my diabetes. I was at 380 pounds then and I was able to get down to 340 and stayed there for a long time. This year I started looking at all sorts diet plans and their promised effects. The one thing I noticed is that most of them have one thing in common. STOP EATING PROCESSED FOODS. We chose to go with the Paleo way of eating. There is a lot of similarity between a vegetarian diet and the paleo plan with the exception, of course, for the meat.

I have lost 12 pounds since we started but the best part, at least to me, is I no longer take any of my diabetes meds. I was on 1000 mg of metformin twice a day and 5 mg of glyboride in the mornings. I stopped the glyboride last week and have now weened myself completely off the metformin. My blood sugars have stabilized and have been ranging between 82 and 125.

My next goal is to work on the weight loss and continue to monitor my sugar levels.

This thread has been an encouragement to me and helped me get started on the new me. THANKS JODY!

9. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

That's awesome! Keep it up and good luck!

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Great work Bill!

I know Jody has been through some surgery and the associated recovery, so don't expect he's been focused on weight.

11. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Great going, Bill! Keep it up! (and you as well, Jody)
    yeey.gif

12. richgem

Boy, those Minions sure do get excited! :D

Maybe it's time to get Bill on board with Mac & Cheese training too? Better send him the brochure, Mike.

13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Very awesome Bill! Proud of you! Keep on keeping on!

I've been kind of busy lately so haven't had much time to stop and update. I've lost another 10 pounds bringing me down from 400 to 310 - 110 to go to my goal of 200! I think I've hit the mythical brick wall in weight loss and now that my hernia surgery has 98% healed, I'm going to be able to devote some actual physical exercise to my eating healthy so I should start losing more.

battle.munky, alpla444, Billr and 2 others like this.
  14. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Thats some going considering the surgery and recovery. the exercise should shock (Kick start if you have hit the wall) the body into more weight loss.

IAmTheJody likes this.