The Rolls Experiment Week 1 wrap up

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Single Wedge, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Well after 1 failed attempt and 4 days of shaving with frustration. I have come to the following realization.

Shaving with a non-shave ready blade is not a good idea and should you choose to do so you run the risk of turning your neck into hamburger from all the ingrown hairs you've fostered through your foolish attempts when you finally go back to a DE.

I have not given up and will continue to hone and strop. I am going to oil the strop this weekend to see if that helps. I am noticing that the hone is getting wear marks from where the blade is hitting.

I am confused by one thing. The Rolls instructions say to not "slap" the blade on the stone, but you do need to hit it with some force to get the guard to flip up.

Next week will be better.

2. riffin

riffin Active Member

I think the risk is chipping the blade or cracking the stone. Some of my balde don't flip either It could be an aging issue. Maybe a little light oil in the guard mechanism would help. I go gently and press the blade with my finger if it doesn't flip.

3. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

when you go to flip the blade on the hone, flip it in a manner so it just has a light slap to it. but by all means be brisk about the actual honing itself; the hard part is slowing down to flip. i dont know if this was the intended method, but thats what i do; ymmv. then again, a couple of my honing stones have wear marks in the middle, so maybe youre doing it like men did 40+ years ago.

and just a side note, mink oil works great on the strop.