the second shave of the day

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by peacefrog, Feb 5, 2007.

1. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

OK, I live the life that most wet shavers only dream of; sometimes I shave twice in one day. ;) The reason is that I normally shave at night. But sometimes I'll skip the evening for some reason (usually travel related), shave the next morning, but then have to shave again in the evening to get back on schedule lest I go to work unshaven.

So my question is, what's the best approach to that second shave of the day? My concern is that it turns out to be a lot of passes on a face that hasn't yet fully recovered from the morning's shave. So my approach for the second shave has been to do only three passes instead of my usual four, to use the most protective soap or cream I can think of (last night I chose a HBS soap), and to be exceedingly careful about pressure. Even so, I gave myself some razor burn on my neck, an area that was problematic for me when I started this madness back in September but I normally don't have an issue with anymore.

So, any other suggestions for handling that second shave?

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Use of a preshave oil is one thing that comes to mind. This will give your face all the protection you need from the blade.

3. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I have had good success with a Muehle Pinsel soap - they have a Marigold/Ringenblumen soap that is the most protective soap Ive used, and I have tried a few..:)

Only problem is that its vertially scent-free and hence a bit booring.. But good protection...

That soap with some pre-shave (I like proraso) is what I recomend.

/Thomas

4. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I would normally move from my agressive razor to something like a Tech...which very mild.

5. Will

Will Nevermind

I just did it last night.

It was cake. All I did was one pass and I had no irritation other than what I got from the soap.

If you only do one pass (and get away with it) go nice and easy and no problems.

6. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

You better listen to this guy, he is nuts has about 40 soaps in his bathroom and im not even going to tell you how many rubber ducks ! :eek: :eek:

Seriously Thomas is one of the last Seifen Meisters around he is too humble to admit it but he knows his shave soaps.

7. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I blush and take a bow.. Thanks René

8. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency Member

If you are Thomas Hüge then he definately knows what he's talking about. Nice to see you Thomas.

9. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Sorry thats not me.. Im just a fellow shaver with a lot of soaps :)

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

ahhhhhh, I wish that Thomas Huege would come in here, he's a wonderful guy too.

Jeff