The Shake Sharp Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 13, 2012.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is one I purchased not that long ago and will be finally getting around to using. I am not sure which version or if the hone is intact or not.

sh1.jpg sh2.jpg

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Version 2.0 with missing hone? If that's what I'm seeing that's not viable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The metal or stone portion of the hone is on the razor I just don't know if it originally had anything like a diamond grit on it the surface originally or not. I can test the hone to see if works but I am not doing that tonight. I'll sharpie a throwaway blade and see if the hone cleans it when I shake it.

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Hmm don't look right at least from that pic. Since the hone is useless with modern blades I'd be more concerned with any change in geometry resulting from the missing material .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It is a second generation shake sharp, and is missing the hone. Since the hone acts as part of the razor base, I wouldn't use that razor...or at least I would be very careful trying to use that razor. If you have a tile cutter or lapidary equipment, it would be worth trying to make a hone out of a corundum sharpening stone, but if you went that route, you would need a complete razor for reference.

I don't suppose "lapidary artist" is one of your other hobbies?

jmudrick likes this.
  6. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

I scored a Shake Sharp razor back in the spring. It is, to me, a comfortable mild shaver. Even with a Feather blade, it never showed any teeth. I tried double stacking some blades, it was not for me. I nice vintage razor that comes out a few times a year

DDACADC6-5372-4B79-9408-75C39C26C38C.jpeg 2DA3A9BD-87AB-4BFA-917F-EC4F8B2D4218.jpeg 6D30F06D-A59E-4795-AC6B-E43EC8FE53CD.jpeg

brit likes this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm looking for a back up for my version 1.0 if you are ever interested in sale/trade...

brit likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here are better pictures. I think the hone is there but worn is all.

hone1.jpg hone2.jpg

brit likes this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

No but I used to drill and fix chips and cracks in granite bases for test equipment at one point.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

This actually a lapping stone not a hone that is why I was thrown off.
    I would say works and is just worn and no longer fully even. If I had plans of using it to lap blades, I'd lap it even or try removing it and using the opposite side. As long as it works to keep the blade secured.

Here is a blade with the edge Sharpie'd before.
    hone3.jpg

Here it is afterwards being Shake Sharp'd.
    hone4.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If the hone/lapping stone is there, and I can see that it is, it can be refreshed with toothpaste and a toothbrush. (Might want to use an older toothbrush).

BBS and brit like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The toothpaste worked, it is lapping the blade much more evenly now. It is not perfect but would be acceptable. I am going to get it so it does lap perfectly even just out of principle.

PLANofMAN, Linuxguile and jmudrick like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

How about a shave? It does that too

PLANofMAN and Linuxguile like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

First shave and color me impressed this sure does get the job done better than almost all the DE razors I've used and I've used a lot of different razors. This razor is like combination of an SE and not because of the single blade exposure but the way you angle the razor to use it and a razor like the French Bohin or Gillette Goodwill 160 but a lot milder than both.

I'll try shimming it next.

PLANofMAN and Linuxguile like this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

FWIW the twin blade hack doesn't really work with the version 2.0, different head.

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Maybe not but shimming does improve the performance on this one. I got an almost perfect BBS shave out this razor with the shim installed. This razor is all business shimmed, it definitely makes the blade more rigid so it cuts closer and is a lot less chatty with the shim. This setup the razor shaves more efficient than mild and I got nicked a few times due to carelessness.

I used a blade I had already trimmed off the blade edges on and loaded the razor blade first then shim. Tomorrow I will load it opposite with shim first then blade and see how it works.

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Cool. Very happy to see you enjoying this fantastic razor.

18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Shim was loaded first then blade for this shave.

Shave with it shimmed the opposite way doesn't make it shave same the same as the other way or without a shim. It is a little bit less aggressive and efficient than the shim loaded in reverse but it is still a much better overall shave than non shimmed. Blade chatter is also almost non existent in this setup.

So based upon these shaves

1. No shim is equivalent to good

2. Shim first then blade is equivalent to better

3. Blade first then shim is equivalent to best

Conclusion shim it at a minimum to get the best out of this razor.

I'll experiment with dual blades non shimmed another day but based upon this so far it should be as good as better and maybe best if the bottom blade also engages on the shave.

jmudrick and PLANofMAN like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If the cap is touching your face when you shave, blade chatter should be non-existent. You only get that when you use a shallower angle when shaving with the Shake Sharp.

Edit: using a shallower angle does make the razor more aggressive, so it's not a "wrong way" to use the shake sharp, just something to keep in mind. If I remember correctly, Mike, (@macaronus) prefers a shallow angle with the shaky as well. I do not.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    jmudrick likes this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I used it like you would almost any SE razor which is an almost ride the cap type of angle as long as the razor doesn't bind, glide smoothly and there is hair in the cream on each swipe.

PLANofMAN likes this.