The Shake Sharp Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Hammertime1

Hammertime1 Member

Very kool! Nice info and research too. I had never seen one before. Be intrested to see if anyone turns up any old advertisements for it. It is nice when you find a vintage something that works for you and brings this kid feelings again.
    My trial of a vintage Gilette open comb and Gem single edge were diasterous:(
    Congrats on your score.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    {Somewhere in North Hampton, Ohio. the year is 2013}

[The house is dark, save for the illumination of a single bare bulb, deep in the basement. Four burly men enter the house and begin searching for something...or someone]

"Can you hear that?" one of the men asks his partners. "I think he's down in the basement!"

[Below their feet a faint rattle and then a click, click, click can be heard. A bubbling laugh that ends in a sob follows. They quickly run down the stairs, then stop and look in amazement at the sight that greets their eyes.]

"Geez," one of them says, "He's completely lost it."

[The man before them sits in a half crouch, eyes vacant and staring, his hair a greasy tangled mass that reaches past his shoulders. One hand holds a razor. Click. Click. Click. The other hand deftly opens the razor, takes out a blade and almost by slight of hand, flips it and reinserts it into the razor. Click. Click. Click.]

"Don Juan, my boy, my beautiful boy," [the man on the floor mutters, his eyes seeming to focus for the first time as he gazes intently at the edges of the blade in his hand. Light from the bulb reflects dimly from the newly sharpened edges. With a soft mumble and a giggle the man tosses the blade on the floor to join a slowly growing pile of blades.]

"We're going to need the 'I love me' jacket and a sharps container," one of the men says into a walkie talkie. [The man on the floor seems to notice them for the first time.] "Did you come to see Don Juan?" he asks. "Don Juan is busy at the moment, but poor old Gorgo will be pleased to help you, please sit down, can I make you coffee or tea?" [The men glance uneasily at each other. There are no chairs down here, and the cupboards upstairs were bare.] "We are here to help you sir, if you would come with us?" One of the men politely asks...

{July, 2014. Waverly Hills Sanitarium}
    Gorgo is much happier now, though he occasionally demands a blue crayon and is inconsolable when one cannot be found. "The medicine really helps," Gorgo told reporters in a recent interview.
    [​IMG]

3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Please re-read the original post, I have links to two advertisements down at the bottom of the post.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

As long as I can write on the walls with my toes, "KILL PLANofMAN" over and over again, I'll be happy. :p

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Prrecccciousss.....

Smeagol.jpg

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Ryan excellent review.
    Your Gillette Super Blues, as you are aware, carbon steel with silicone coating so they should be an excellent match for this razor.
    Enjoy!

7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Early Super Blues had a silicone coating. I believe these are the later Super Blues with a fluorocarbon coating, probably Teflon or a similar coating. :) Now before I come across as a smart alack, that was something I just learned about a week ago.;)

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

No, that is correct. That was after the Wilkinson Sword Stainless and Personna Stainless began to take over the market with PFTE coatings. Gillette instead of switching immediately to stainless for a very short time coated the old carbons with PFTE. They still lost market share so Gillette gave up on the Super Blues. Most Super Blues were Silicone loaded. It really won't make a difference. Once the coating is gone the softer carbon steel will be more effective for this application than stainless.

Perhaps that is also a contributing factor as to why the G.E. Jones razor also began to fade from production because the harder stainless would be less enjoyable to strop.

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I went back to Adams' book on Gillette on pages 244-246 verifies that Gillette for a short time "refined" the original coating, but what happened was when they came out with their Stainless, most of the people that switched stayed with competitors and those that were now using Gillette Stainless were switching from Blues and Super Blues which meant that Gillette made the switch too late and lost both considerable market share and long term financial recouping of monetary and research investment in the Super Blue blades.

BTW: If any users run across unopened sealed packages that have not been exposed to a lot of air, you will find that they are a good blade.

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Do you know what years they refined the coating? These blades are from 1961, four or five years after they started manufacturing them.

My blades have been exposed to a lot of air and were never sealed.:( On the other hand, they all came coated with oil, which would probably be more effective than 50 year old plastic.:D I found them to be very nice shavers, but the one I tried to resharpen with the Stanford didn't turn out so well. Most likely, the coating was not completely removed and thus did not re-sharpen evenly. This bears looking into.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The Wilkinson Stainless did not appear until April 1962 according to Adams' text page 242. Gillette Stainless was introduced in September 1963 so it would have been between that time.

12. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Gary, how do you think Treet Classic Carbon blades would perform in the Shake Sharp?

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

They should handle as well as any other carbon blade would. Since this is the first time I have seen pictures of this I can't provide much more on it.
    Ryan may have to do a test between the Super Blues and the Treet Classics.

14. Azarius

Ryan, if you need some Treet Classics, let me know.

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Okay, Now that I have an alternative shake sharp, The chrome shake sharp will begin it's journey to the Netherlands on Monday! Enjoy the pics.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

178-bplatoon, Smott and Azarius like this.
  16. Azarius

Nice score Ryan....that is identical to the one I lost the bid on a few months ago. Did you land this one from the link that you had provided earlier?

17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I did. Richard has excellent taste in razors and although he has caught a lot of flak because of his "overpriced razors" he does sell for best offer. I probably overpaid a little bit, but not by much. If this razor has been used, it has only been used once or twice. His descriptions are always accurate, which is refreshing to an old eBay shopper like myself.:) Chances are Richard bought the one you were bidding on and re-sold it to me.

18. Azarius

Such a nice find, it is near mint. You rarely find one in such pristine condition, let alone with that has the case. This one looks like it was just removed from behind the counter of an Apothecary.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I saw a NOS one with a bakelike handle that had sold for $25-30. It still had the cardboard blade insert in the head of the razor that said "Shake several times to align blade properly" Came with case and cardboard shipper box. I believe it sold back in March.

20. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Shazam! That's a great stunning looker! Congrats!