The Shine Box

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Mbg75, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Thank you!

2. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Sorry. My mistake. It's so shiny it looks silver on my phone. Must be reflecting the light.

3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Normal (LazyLens 20160223 082431 normal).jpg
    WP_20160224_001.jpg WP_20160224_002.jpg WP_20160224_003.jpg WP_20160224_004.jpg Just got a Eversharp. Although not in terrible shape a little clean and shine and this baby looks new.
    The first pic is from the listing. I should have actually taken a before pic....

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Somebody say "shine box"?

[​IMG]

5. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Spyder likes this.
  6. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Batts!

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Thanks for posing all these re-claimed DE razors! I happen to have a red tip and slim that should be here in a week or so that will need some cleaning and maybe polish.

So far I've only used scrubbing bubbles to clean a GEM SE, which worked pretty well. (I have read that SB can remove paint, so not my first choice on these razors) What techniques do you use on these clean ups? On hand I have borax, baking soda, bar keepers' friend, scrubbing bubbles, brasso, and wright's silver creme. And dawn, someone already mentioned that. Also have oxyclean. Have access to a power rag wheel and jeweler's rouge as well.

Thanks for any advice as far as sequence or products to avoid. Also can get flitz polish local, btw.

(I looked to see if there was already a tutorial, but not yet. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could post a definitive cleaning guide?)

8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I use metal polish and a low rpm dremel type tool. Enough to buff out without removing any plating.

barbersurgeon likes this.
  9. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Any particular metal polish product?

10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Normal (LazyLens 20160227 084759 normal).jpg This is what I've been using. Made by Canadian company Bombardier.

barbersurgeon likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

We are creating one right here. Glad you joined the brainstorming session.;)

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

My ritual for razor cleaning

1. Clean it under running water with a toothbrush.
    2. Drop it in the ultrasonic with water and Dawn.
    3. Adjustables and TTO's get a penetrant soak in a ziplock bag.
    4. Hand polish using polishing compound and a microfiber.
    5. One more round in the ultrasonic to remove compound and any penetrant.
    6. Take the razor for a test shave!

Multiple hot soapy water soaks will accomplish the same as the ultrasonic, it just takes longer.

Careful with a powerwheel, you can burn through to the brass on knurling and corners quickly.

ob1page, barbersurgeon and mrchick like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Just to clarify: My buffing wheel is low power & rpm. With pressure it stops. It's just very handy to get into the tight spots.

14. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Spyder,
    Im sorry. I wasn't referring to you. I was just letting barber surgeon know to be careful. I learned the hard way.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

You're correct, I would hate for somebody to ruin the finish on a razor for something I wasn't clear on. Thanks for being engaged enough to point out things to avoid:)

16. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

17. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Beautiful!

18. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Cleaned this up today for a friend.
    J-4 flare tip
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Enrico, macaronus, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  19. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Very nice!