The Shine Box

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Mbg75, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Love it. Wow!

ob1page likes this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

You may want to put a coat of turtle wax on it so it doesn't tarnish so quickly

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

ob1page likes this.
  3. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I was trying to think what to use to protect it since I assume I removed whatever the top coat was. Thank you for the tip!

Linuxguile likes this.
  4. Linuxguile

I put turtle wax on my Gillette New lc and sc which have bare copper and brass and they have yet to begin to show tarnish

ob1page likes this.
  5. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

First, before I post my refurbished razor case, I would like to give a hearty Well Done to ob1Page for his restoration of the Gem SE he is working on. That razor looks fantastic! Good Show Sir!
    And now here is an Aristocrat set I have been working on. The bottom tray on this case was covered with a dirty, deteriorated piece of velvet, and the razor itself has lacquer coming off the doors, but the rest of the razor looks fantastic. So I tried to remove the unsightly lacquer from the silo doors with just about everything in my arsenal except lacquer thinner. I ended up ruining the gold finish on one door. So eventually I will either use a donor door from a parts razor, or do a partial replate on it. So I have been waiting for some velvet to arrive that I ordered earlier in the week to refurbish the bottom tray, and that arrived today. So my main part of the project today is to attach the Velvet to the bottom tray and install it in the case. Here's a look at the photo I took of the tray after I removed it from the case-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a look at the finished product-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking out my project. Have a great night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enrico, Jorvaljr, Hillbilly79 and 6 others like this.
  6. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

That new velvet looks great and really compliments your razor, great job!

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Alan that looks fantastic, you're great at restoring these! :happy036:

ob1page likes this.
  8. Morman Bridge

Thank you sir, your project looks great as well!

ob1page likes this.
  9. Morman Bridge

Thank you Robyflexx!

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Linuxguile

Looks great Alan! One thing I've noticed for future work is that scrubbing bubble will remove the lacquer but won't harm the gold

ob1page and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Morman Bridge

Thank you for the heads up, Linuxguile!

12. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

That, and putting nothing more in the description other than "Look at eBay's photos as they are part of the description"...when in fact they are *all* of the description. And then they post fuzzy photos.

Spyder, ob1page and mrchick like this.
  13. Hank

Hank Active Member

I'm glad there is this thread, I have some questions about metal polish how many of you guys use it, what is the preferred brand, and does it cause skin irritation?

Thanks

ob1page likes this.
  14. Morman Bridge

Hello Hank, there are many different brands people use for their razors. In my case, for Nickel plated razors, I use Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish. For Silver plated razors I use Blitz Silver Shine polish. Polish is not recommended for Gold plated razors, simply wash your gold plated razors in hot water and dawn dish detergent. When that doesn't do a good enough job, I do resort to using Simichrome metal polish. Simichrome is minimally abrasive, and if I am carful it will work well. Good luck, and have a great day.

ob1page likes this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's why we are here - to make em shiny. Different products for different finishes. The idea is to reduce scratches to below naked eye visibility. The finer the abrasive, the less scratches & more perceived shine. As to irritation, they all wash off with a little Dawn dish liquid.
    Choosing the correct product can be trial and error. If it's got a clear coat, or thin (Gold) plating a coarse abrasive will do damage.
    Take some photos of the item you are working on, post em up, ask question! No secrets here. We are all learning and sharing.

ob1page likes this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

My overall polish is Flitz because it's not abrasive as something like Brasso. It also works well as a cleaner in hard to reach places with a toothbrush.

ob1page and Jorvaljr like this.
  17. Hank

Hank Active Member

Screenshot_2016-07-24-15-47-48.png Screenshot_2016-07-24-15-47-48.png Screenshot_2016-07-24-15-47-39.png Screenshot_2016-07-24-15-47-30.png
    I present to you what I believe is an English made Gillette aristocrat jr. This is my favorite and by far my most used razor. I think it's pretty clean, but I think it could be shiner. If it was yours what would you do to clean it up?

Thanks

mrchick, ob1page and Jorvaljr like this.
  18. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I would put it into a dish heat some water close to boiling slather dish soap on it then pour the water over it. Do it a couple of time through out the day and then clean it with an old toothbrush . Then get some metal polish like Maas and enjoy !

barbersurgeon and ob1page like this.
  19. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Minwax makes a lacquer spray you can use after polishing.

ob1page likes this.
  20. Morman Bridge

Good morning fellow Shave Denizens! Just a quick couple of photos of a 1920's Floral Pocket Edition case and a 1940's gold bBall End Tech. I just finished this project last night. I was originally going to paint this case, but even though it has some nicks and scuffs, I can't bring myself to cover it with paint. I guess that is a project for another time. This is a set I'm going to give to a friend of mine. He's a safety bar kind of guy, hence the Tech.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The case polished out pretty good, however it has 90 percent plate loss. The razor came out good too. I forgot to take before photos, but I'm sure you guys can imagine how wasted these two pieces were. Thanks for your interest, and have a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enrico, Jorvaljr, mrchick and 3 others like this.