The Size of your Knot

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by VetsJetsnGuns, Feb 24, 2008.

1. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

I'm a Cream Shaver, and I'm wondering
    1.) What does a larger knot size really do for me?
    2.) At what size am I past the point of diminishing returns (especialy when $expense$ is consdiered)?

my next brush is probably going to be a shavemac or savile row.

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Beats me, Jeff. It really does. I think it has more to do with density than knot size. Most folks seem to think that a smaller, more dense knot it best for soaps while a larger, perhaps less dense one is better for creams. I have brushes ranging from a 22mm Simpson Tulip T2 to a 27mm (I think) Kent BK8. The Tulip is quite dense, the BK is not.

As far as I can tell, the only reason the T2 is better suited for soaps is that it fits the soap tub better (the Kent's kinda large). Both do a superb job lathering either creams or soaps. Just my opinion, but I think it's a matter of personal preference. The smaller ones will give you a bit better control (if that even matters), but in my experience, either will lather anything you choose to throw at them.

If you prefer a smaller knot, you'll still be able to lather creams quite well...at least I can. You may well hear others with differing opinions chime in later, but that's how I feel about it.

3. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I think it just comes down to personal preference. You can make more lather quicker with a big one, but for me personally, they're just too messy. I like a knot around low 20's myself.

To me, the quality that makes a brush more suited for soaps would be how firm those bristles are. Firmer can work better with a soap, but it doesn't really matter for cream. The difference here is very subtle, although I do think my omega boar works better making lather with soaps, but it doesn't feel quite as soft on the face. For me, i'm not a fan of job specific brushes.

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

As Bobby said, a larger knot size will make lather faster. A larger brush can also be viewed (to some?) to be more luxurious. I do find this to be the case.....something about smothering your face in a giant brush. But, for me a giant brush isn't something to use everyday. For daily use, I wouldn't recommend anything bigger than 24mm.

As far as expense, the perceived value is in the eye of the beholder.....and I feel that if you find a brush that suits your tastes, go for it. If you can afford it, its worth it to you. With few exceptions, brushes aren't assigned arbitrary price tags.

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Ahhh... the price/value option. Well, it depends on which brand you buy. A 30mm Plisson will tear a deep hole in your budget, if you get a German Bock brush of the same size you pay just a quarter of the prize of a Plisson and get the same quality. The same goes for those Simpsons - overprized by FAR. But, of course, different people have different opinions of value.

I have a 29mm Bock Silvertip brush. It's a real beauty and at just 70€ a steal. It lathers everything in an instant and is pure luxure to the face. But, ya know, some like 'em big, some like 'em small - everyone has to find out for themselves.

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I usually go for 21mm-23mm knot size. Personal preference.

7. MD11

MD11 New Member

Jeff, I find my bigger knot brushes hold a bit more water and make a longer lasting lather.. I prefer the dense and large knots as a result.

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Same here. Bigger IS better :D

9. AFG

AFG New Member

My favorite brush has a 24 mm knot. I can use that brush for about anything. I have a 26 mm brush that I like quite a bit too but its really bigger than I need and I do think that if I add to my brushes I will look for something in the 20-22 mm size for my next one.

10. YankeeBoy

YankeeBoy Member

I was given a brush for my birthday a couple of years back that I'm guessing is around 28 or 30 mm. You all probably know it. Its the large Caswell Massey brush. Any way I hardly use it any more. It makes to much of a mess while I'm lathering up. It holds a gallon of water and suds are flying all around the bathroom while I am using it. It also feels like I am getting hit in the face with a wet mop. I bought an Omega 24mm knot brush and know I feel I am getting the best of both worlds. I have a brush for both hard soaps and for the occasional cream I pick up. The 24mm seemed to be a more practical size to go with in my humble opinion. I have found that a brush that is more densely packed will sometimes perform as well or better than a larger brush.

11. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

I believe that a brush preference is like EVERYTHING else in wetshaving....SO very particular to each face and nose.
    I may hate a brush that you really enjoy.

I have to try many different things. I like bigger knots..BUT knot always
    hahahaha

I like small vintage badger knots..vintage is usually smaller. I'd like to find some big vintage badger knots...
    YET I like the Kent BK8 that is a fairly big knot.
    Ya gotta try em out..Badger and boar, big and small

The inconsistancies of all things wetshaving is pretty cool, I feel
    :)

12. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

This is so true...
    a big knot densely packed is nirvana

13. ZethLent

ZethLent Member

Of what I have I like a 24~25 mm size.

But when I got my BK8, I thought I should have got the BK12 instead.
    Needless to say I would like to try and even Bigger brush than the BK8 that I have.

14. minderasr

minderasr Member

I thought I was a fan of a smaller brush/knot. Then I got a Simpson's Duke 1. No matter how densely I pack that brush, it's always weak by the final (3rd) pass. Love the brush otherwise, but in hind site I should have gone with a 2 or even a 3. Oh well, I have plenty of other brushes to play with.

:cool:

15. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Where do you get these brushes from? When I search google, I don't get any results.

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Plissons here.

Bocks here.

17. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

You can also purchase from Plisson direct, though I don't think they will offer you a 20% discount if you tell them you're a shaving forum member (Atkinson's will).

18. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

To bad Bocks doesn't have an english site. Half the price and the quality of a Plisson is tempting.

19. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Yep.

Youknowdatsright ! :D

21-22 is just about perfect for me
    although "23" is my lucky number

20. seamus402

seamus402 You don't mess with Big Slim

I am not enamored with a really large knot, as, I have never really ascribed to the urban theory about knot size being directly related to pleasure. I find a smaller knot is just so much easier to handle and comfortable in my hand. More than a handful is really a waste. Wait, I think I am confused about the topic!!!! Hmmmm. :eek::happy102